BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided it was the right thing to do. I was looking at getting a Porsche 911 Carrera 4, but hey I have a family to transport around - The 911 is not practical for that, the M5 is!!!

I hope to receive my new M5 in March 2001 (now just counting the days...). I have several questions to those of you who obviously have much more knowledge on the car than myself....

Does the 2001 M5 (UK) receive the new 5 Series face lift?

What exactly does the face lift consist of?

Are those black side trims now body colour?

Does anyone have any views on alternate rear spoilers, e.g. A.C. Snitzer & Alpina?

Where can I see what these look like, the respective web sites don't seem to give much away?

What happens with regards to the 3rd high level integrated break light. I would prefer this to be on the spoiler, not in the rear window?

Can anyone recommend any uprated exhausts that are available in the UK?

What does the voice control system allow you to control?

Many thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Face lift main points are rings round headlights, side trims stay black, different buttons on steering wheel, widescreen type sat/nav screen that opens for cassette or mini disk.
I like the spoiler, seems to fit character of car. Voice control is good fun lets you drive the phone (if BMW fitted) and the sat/nav.

Rgds, Alan

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Firstly, congrats on making the right decision. There's still time to shop around in Belgium and save a bundle if you havn't already done so. To answer a few of your questions.. YES the M5 gets the facelift - I suggest you scroll back a few pages on the messageboard to find some nice pictures posted (Marlin had a really nice one in Lemans blue). As far as rear spoilers go, I suggest you don't change the stock one as it would spoil the look (sorry no pun intended). If you want to make some changes, I suggest you upgrade the brakes to Porsche GT4 ventilated/drilled units. Keep us posted - good luck, Ashok.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alan and Ashok, thanks very much for the info.

I'll consider keeping the original spoiler, it's just that it seems so small and insignificant, and the A.C. Snitzer version is just that little more prominent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know where you live in the UK?

I visited the NEC Motor show yesterday, they have a 2001 M5 on display (Carbon Black, Caramel interior), you could save yourself a great deal of anguish and just visit the show, the BMW representatives on the stand are very knowledgeable unlike some of the sales guys you can run into at main dealerships.

I asked the question about phone support. I specifically wanted to know if BMW now support the Orange network, I got an immediate answer, in actual fact the BMW Rep actually fetched me the exact phone called:

Motorola v3690 allowed me to insert my SIM card to test the phone. If you are an Orange user and you wish to use the voice activated features, then you MUST! Purchase this phone.

You could opt for the fixed phone, this however would require you to constantly switch SIM cards over from your hand held and fixed phone.

I will be collecting my car from the Netherlands in January, now... I don't know how the other UK people are financing their cars, I have located a UK based leasing firm that will purchase the car, then offer me the lease. The total cost of my car is (49K) with the includes the following options:

Code: Option.
265 tyre-pressure control
358 sunblocking windscreen
403 electric sliding and tilting glass roof in lieu of 401 Electric Tilting and Sliding Sunroof
416a rear window blind(electric) and hand-operated window blinds rear for M5
465 Folding Rear Seats
466 (+ skibag Sedan),
629 Carphone BMW GSM, in midarmrest front, incl. antenna
752 Individual Audio System, (M base Option)

In addition the car also has:

Alcantara Headlining, this option would cost an additional £1035 in the UK..

Also just concluding the Phone option the cost of the Motorola prep kit in the UK is £925.00 plus £550.00 for the v3690 phone, from the Netherlands, the cost of the Prep kit is £375 the handset costs, £250, is that a piss take or what!

From my research, cars from Holland have better standard options, also offer mush faster delivery. Also, the current exchange rate of 3.76 Dutch guilders against the GBP is looking even more attractive.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate in contacting me.. My e-mail account is [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts