BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys and Girls

Last Thursday on 10th Feb. 2005 I joined a test and tune to check my M5 on a drag strip.

I was kind of upset with my time coz I couldn’t hit my target because a stock M5 suppose to run in mid 13s :flag:

With my modification on the car I couldn’t even run that time …….. God Help Me :crying:

Unfortunately I ran 13.76 @ 171 KM which I’m not happy with :grrrr: :grrrr: …

I’m planning to buy new slicks tries + using the racing gas :M5rev: …

And I hope to run high 12s :haha2: ….

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
BRN64666 said:
Hi guys and Girls

Last Thursday on 10th Feb. 2005 I joined a test and tune to check my M5 on a drag strip.

I was kind of upset with my time coz I couldn’t hit my target because a stock M5 suppose to run in mid 13s :flag:

With my modification on the car I couldn’t even run that time …….. God Help Me :crying:

Unfortunately I ran 13.76 @ 171 KM which I’m not happy with :grrrr: :grrrr: …

I’m planning to buy new slicks tries + using the racing gas :M5rev: …

And I hope to run high 12s :haha2: ….

hmm.. I'll be doing this hopefully next week, have similar mods to you, what rpm where you launching at? where you using normal road tyres?

some tips here in my earlier thread on the topic

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tin said:
hmm.. I'll be doing this hopefully next week, have similar mods to you, what rpm where you launching at? where you using normal road tyres?

Yes I was runing on a street tyres and launching at 1200 RPMs
If I lunch it more than that it will wheel hops alot + wheel spins
+ I forgot to switch the power botton ON

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
To get the factory/magazine test numbers you'll need:

1) an engine running properly, of course
2) minimum 93 octane fuel and enough time for the engine computer to have adapted to it
3) favorable temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure
4) cool engine (see all the previous articles about heat soak - not an issue for steady-state driving like road course but a big power robber in the first few minutes of operation after sitting with a warm engine)

and finally

5) a lot of practice - there is a very fine line between not enough and too much clutch slip - and even the "right" amount is practically guaranteed to ruin a stock M5 clutch in fairly short order. A couple of "wrong" amounts, where you have engine power on full before the clutch is locked up, your clutch will be toast.

Good luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tin said:

Thanks for the tips ..........I missed that :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What was your 60 ft. time? That will tell you a lot. What was your tire pressure? Generally you lower the rear and increase the front. I'd bet the heat played a factor as well. From what I've read on the board, the exhaust is not good for any gains. So that leaves the ecu as the only hp gain you have.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Indeed. this plus check you reaction time numbers. You'll be absolutely amazed how a 10th of a second in reaction time gets magnified downsteam. it's almost like compounding interest. I am sure some smart person has a formula but by nailing the reaction time/ stock tires/ cool engine/ 20lbs pressure in rear tires i did 12.97 1/4 mile

boostmiser said:
What was your 60 ft. time? That will tell you a lot. What was your tire pressure? Generally you lower the rear and increase the front. I'd bet the heat played a factor as well. From what I've read on the board, the exhaust is not good for any gains. So that leaves the ecu as the only hp gain you have.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Reaction time has no correlation to the outcome of your 1/4 mile time. It only matters if you are racing another vehicle to the finish line. Then it gets magnified towards the end.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Awesome... didn't think about that. It makes sense. But then again I was more worried about beating the vette next to me than my own 1/4 mile time.

boostmiser said:
Reaction time has no correlation to the outcome of your 1/4 mile time. It only matters if you are racing another vehicle to the finish line. Then it gets magnified towards the end.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
boostmiser said:

here are the information which you asked me ..

R/T .973
60' 2.261
330 6.063
1/8 9.106
KMH 133.36
1000 11.650
1/4 13.768
KMH 171.66

Tep. +11 C

For the tire pressure was 35 PSI on street stires ...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
boostmiser said:

That's True

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More Details

Tires Condition: Need to be replace
Gas : Pump Gas 89
Engine Tep. : Warm
Sound System : Removed

what else ??!!

·
10,455 Posts
89 octane! is that calculated the same way as it is here in the US (R+M/2)? If so, that could be part of the problem. If the tires were really worn out, that could also cause some loss of grip off the line. Bald street tires are not like slicks!
Mike

BRN64666 said:
More Details

Tires Condition: Need to be replace
Gas : Pump Gas 89
Engine Tep. : Warm
Sound System : Removed

what else ??!!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
BRN,

Get some freash tires and powerchip ECU upgrade add race fuels and lets see some high 12's :cool2:

Im not convinced that Digi-Tech ECU Upgrade is giving you the HP gain you should get from all your mods

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
BRN64666 said:
here are the information which you asked me ..

R/T .973
60' 2.261
330 6.063
1/8 9.106
KMH 133.36
1000 11.650
1/4 13.768
KMH 171.66

Tep. +11 C

For the tire pressure was 35 PSI on street stires ...
11C = 52F...that's perfect.

The 2.261 tells me that you did not get a great launch. You should probably be in the 1.9 range. Every 1/10th in 60' time translates to aprox. ... oh, from memory.... 2/10th's in the 1/4 mile...maybe more, I foget exactly. Lets use 2/10th with a 1.9 60' time. That eliminates 6/10th's putting you right in the low 13 second range where you should be.

171.66 kmh = 106.66 mph which is low. You should be at least in the 108 range (and that's stock). So, your shifts were probably not optimal and/or the gas you are using is too low octane. Again, not sure what your gas equates to but I'm sure your chip is optimized for high octane. The chip doesnt seem to be helping you too much.

OHHH...and your wheels. I just noticed you had 19's. You'll loose speed from them. First, they may be heavier than stock. If so, that's and increase in rotating mass. Also the 19" diameter will give you a bit more top end but hurt your sprints. That may be a 1/10th or 2/10th difference.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
boostmiser said:
11C = 52F...that's perfect.

The 2.261 tells me that you did not get a great launch. You should probably be in the 1.9 range. Every 1/10th in 60' time translates to aprox. ... oh, from memory.... 2/10th's in the 1/4 mile...maybe more, I foget exactly. Lets use 2/10th with a 1.9 60' time. That eliminates 6/10th's putting you right in the low 13 second range where you should be.

171.66 kmh = 106.66 mph which is low. You should be at least in the 108 range (and that's stock). So, your shifts were probably not optimal and/or the gas you are using is too low octane. Again, not sure what your gas equates to but I'm sure your chip is optimized for high octane. The chip doesnt seem to be helping you too much.

OHHH...and your wheels. I just noticed you had 19's. You'll loose speed from them. First, they may be heavier than stock. If so, that's and increase in rotating mass. Also the 19" diameter will give you a bit more top end but hurt your sprints. That may be a 1/10th or 2/10th difference.
You are right .... My ECU upgrade optimized for 99 octane and I was runinng on 89 which is really low octeans .....

for the wheels .... I was testing the car with stock wheels ...not with 19s

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Black M5 said:
BRN,

Get some freash tires and powerchip ECU upgrade add race fuels and lets see some high 12's :cool2:

Im not convinced that Digi-Tech ECU Upgrade is giving you the HP gain you should get from all your mods
I will change my tires and I will add race fuels ...... and we will see the results .....

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
One more thing too,
You got to have the revs higher..like 2000-2500.
Problem is you got to slip the clutch almost all of first. atleats a bit to really get a low 60'. Where is ELEVENS... He is the "drag master" in the M5.
Make sure those shifts have no delays. Fast shifts are real important.
good luck.

josh.
[email protected] 110mph

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
BRN64666 said:
I will change my tires and I will add race fuels ...... and we will see the results .....
and sort out the ecu too please

1 - 20 of 78 Posts