BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I was running Mobil 1 Green 10/30 for 'older cars' and was replenishing 1 quart every 800-900 miles. Still within tolerances according to the manual. I have used this for about 50,000 miles. Oil leaks here and there too, annoying, but whatever.

I decided to try a different weight for the summer heat 15/50 Mobil 1 (now branded extended life) and guess what??? 1/2 quart usage in 2200 miles. Does anyone know why? Is this due solely to the weight of the oil? If so, I'll run this stuff forever!!

Thoughts/technical explanations?

Thx,
Chris
1991 3.6l with 202,100 miles and running strong!

·
Registered
121 Posts
In the Touring, I use the old red cap 15/50w Mobile1. Stocked up before the reformulation hit the shelves. I observe what you have found, about half quart per 2000 miles. I am not sure on the next oil change if I will change over to the reformulation 15/50 or find another synthetic oil to run.

Greg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am using the Castrol synthetic oil in my 'old' 1990 M5 with ???Km = not sure as the clock only shows 130,000Km, but the worn out suspension parts are more like 230,000Km. Not terribly important to me, as the body & interior & mechanicals are all in good condition for the age.

I change the oil every 3 months or 5,000Km as I live in an extremly hot location and the atmospheric conditions are sandy/dusty as well.

My oil consumption varies in direct relationship to the RPM & Speed I travel.
Consumption is approx 3/4 - 1 liter per 5,000Km, and the BMW Service Manager tells me that is normal for the S38-3.6. A high performance engine needs good oil circulation and at 'speed' there will be some consumption.

I also had a '92 M5 with genuine, history backed mileage of just 50,000Km and that too consumed oil when driven enthusastically!!! = as designed.

So, if it doesn't leak any oil and it doesn't blow blue smoke from the exhaust, and it doesnt rattle or overheat, and it still revs freely 4,000rpm-6,000rpm, just keep topping it up!.

Enjoy.:byebye:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts