BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M5 oil droped so quick...

i've had my M5 for 4 days and the oil has droped down to 0.7L (when i press the BC button)

at what level should i change the oil? what oil should i use(wieght?)? and how long would car keep sucking oil at this level? ??????

thanks!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Re: M5 oil droped so quick...

This is typical during the break in period. Just keep it topped off until the first service @ 1200 km. The oil consumption will go down after all the internal moving parts get seated and run in. BMW recommends Castrol Synthetic 10-60w.

·
Registered
43 Posts

no Marwan dont top it off yet, top it off when it reaches 0.2L, add approx 1 liter of Castrol TWS. Dont worry this is normal at the beggining the oil consumption will start decreasing with time, my car is at 8000km and now its consuming something like 0.1L every 1000km
good luck

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

If the correct oil level is between 0.6 and 1.0 why would you allow the level to go lower than 0.6 like the 0.2 you mention and then overfill to 1.2?
I would just keep it between 0.6 and 1.0. Very simple to do.
Frank.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

M-bitious said:
If the correct oil level is between 0.6 and 1.0 why would you allow the level to go lower than 0.6 like the 0.2 you mention and then overfill to 1.2?
I would just keep it between 0.6 and 1.0. Very simple to do.
Frank.
I would have to agree. Just make sure you don't overfill.

·
Registered
43 Posts

ok lets see how u'll be able to do that lol, i've topped of my car like 4 times already, and i was never able to do it properly. when i was at 0.3 liters and I added 0.6 L of oil it shot up to 1.3L.
when it was 0.2 and i put in 1L it went up to 0.9.
i've had problems topping off the oil I dont think this thing is accurate, I reset it the way the manual says but still...not perfect.
lets see the best you can do

·
Registered
829 Posts

The manual sais the following:

Do not add oil untill the level measurement fucntion indicates a value just above the minimum of 0.0 litre. When this level is reached a message also apears on the control display.

Top up the oil level within the next 200km (125miles) otherwise the engine might suffer damage. Top up with no more then 1 litre of oil, as adding too much oil will result in engine damage. Add atleast 0.5 litre of oil otherwise the oil level check wil be unable to display the new oil level reliably.
Also if you press the BC button to see the oil level you get a rapid estimation, this estimation can be off by alot during run in. It takes about 30 mins for the exact oil level to be measured.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

Doesn't the car have an ordinary dipstick? I didn't get mine yet, so I simply don't know. Sounds a lot safer to do it the old fashioned way then? But I would not put in a whole litre anyway, you shouldn't overfill.

Frank.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Actually the guys at my dealers said that it can be a very frustrating car to top up, due to the electronic gauge , they overfilled mine and had to drain oil out. So I would be tempted to top it off at the 0.2L level, and add the oil in 2 smaller amounts (rather then trying to add a ltr in one go), less chance of an overfill.

·
Registered
829 Posts

M-bitious said:
Doesn't the car have an ordinary dipstick? I didn't get mine yet, so I simply don't know. Sounds a lot safer to do it the old fashioned way then? But I would not put in a whole litre anyway, you shouldn't overfill.

Frank.
No the lubrication system of the car is of a "dry sump" type opposed to the "wet sump" used in most cars. This means the shaft doesn't sit in a bath of oil like ussual cars. The oil is kept in a tank and pumped around. Because there's always oil in the system circulating around you couldn't get an accurate reading with a stick.

Does Castrol still have those smaller 1 litre bottles? Those would be ideal to keep in the trunk.

·
Registered
256 Posts

marwan said:
ok, so basically this car is a pain in the *** to maintain! hmmm

i'll just call or take it to the dealer once i reach 0.2L
Note frylord's comment above and the quote from the BMW manual, have you not read your manual?

"Do not add oil untill the level measurement function indicates a value just above the minimum of 0.0 litre. When this level is reached a message also apears on the control display.

Top up the oil level within the next 200km (125miles) otherwise the engine might suffer damage. Top up with no more then 1 litre of oil, as adding too much oil will result in engine damage. Add atleast 0.5 litre of oil otherwise the oil level check wil be unable to display the new oil level reliably."

I have had my car 5 weeks it used quite a lot of oil up to 2000kms, it has now settled, just watch the guage every few days, not difficult at all.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

1.NEON said:
Note frylord's comment above and the quote from the BMW manual, have you not read your manual?

"Do not add oil untill the level measurement function indicates a value just above the minimum of 0.0 litre. When this level is reached a message also apears on the control display.

Top up the oil level within the next 200km (125miles) otherwise the engine might suffer damage. Top up with no more then 1 litre of oil, as adding too much oil will result in engine damage. Add atleast 0.5 litre of oil otherwise the oil level check wil be unable to display the new oil level reliably."

I have had my car 5 weeks it used quite a lot of oil up to 2000kms, it has now settled, just watch the guage every few days, not difficult at all.
ok thanks!

i will check the manual when i go home after work.

is the oil change easy? is it something that can be done at home?

·
Registered
146 Posts

Hala Marwan,

Adding oil is simple, you just buy it from the dealer (Castrol TWS 1 liter) and when you get the message in the check control that tells you to add oil you just pour the whole liter into the oil filler in the engine bay.

The first oil change and service is at 2000 kms and has to be done at the dealer.

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts