BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I (like many of you) have experienced the weepy M5 oil cap ever since I have owned my E39 M5. Many have said that the E46 M3 oil cap not only fits this opening, but it also sits/fits & seal tighter then the ugly/boring square unit our M5's came with. I'm willing to buy one just for the better looks alone.

My question to you guys is which one do I get... ? REAL-OEM PARTS has 2 different part #s for this piece. One says up to 04/2002 & the other says from 04/2002. I know/realize what these simple words mean but I'm wondering if there is something about these 2 units that I don't know about ?? Was there some kind of recall or minor revision that took place. Is the newer unit revised & if so, in what way???

I know that most of us here are E39 guys but I was wondering what you guys think. THANK YOU in advanced to this simple (small BMW OEM part) question I have... !

·
Registered
492 Posts
When I went to bimminiparts I put in a 'pricefinder' request for the M3 oil cap and there were two part numbers. I picked the one that I thought was most appropriate and I got a response from them saying that the part number was invalid and has been replaced (just digging out the mail to check).

Here we go:

11 12 7832157 COVER LID - DO NOT ORDER - new part no 11 12 1 405 452, see below
11 12 1405452 COVER LID M-POWER

So it would seem it was changed at some point, hope that helps!

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
2013 X5M
244 Posts
I love this thread thanks for the part numbers very helpful. Just ordered all my seals and that cap, little bit of wrinkle black powder to the covers and button her back up. Can't wait :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just for the record, I bought the 11-12-7-832-157 a year or so back and have had no issues with oil seepage-- KH

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I wonder if I'm in the minority of liking the stock square cap vs. the round nubbed E46 M3 cap

Reactions: Frye

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oilcap

regarding oilcaps, I have seen a nice brushed aluminium oem part, on AtlantaM5's e39. Looks good to me and it can still be ordered on one of the m5board advertisers partspages (forgot which one).

The cap itself is similar to the M3 style.

Good luck searching :viking:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Well i must be in the minority too, as i think the square cap looks much more "right" with it marrying up to the positive jump start terminal on bank 2.

Makes the layout much more symettrical and for the better i think. A flower shaped M cap on one side and a large square one on the other does nothing for me i'm afraid

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Well i must be in the minority too, as i think the square cap looks much more "right" with it marrying up to the positive jump start terminal on bank 2.

Makes the layout much more symettrical and for the better i think. A flower shaped M cap on one side and a large square one on the other does nothing for me i'm afraid

I agree 100% .... I have a VERY detail and symetrical orientated eye for things. I like the original square cap.

Reactions: dimi_108

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
´Quick google results show that apparantly Bimmian has theese: Bimmian Aluminum Oil Cap for BMW 5 Series and M5 - 1997-04 E39
I bought one of these and never used it because it does not feel like it seals well. Unlike the stock cap, this cap spins and spins without the lock in place feeling you get with the OEM cap. This may also be the case with the E46 cap..

This is why I recently ordered both the E46 M3 and a new M5 cap. I will test both out to see what I like and probably double-up on gaskets for a tighter seal. The M5 cap costs less than a new seal so I figured why not..

Reactions: Nordic

·
Registered
836 Posts
The E46 cap locks similar to the OEM M5 cap, but it feels tighter when locking for some reason. Possible, bigger gasket or shorter stem. IIRC, the E46 cap can be found relatively cheap on eBay.

I've also read here if the OEM M5 cap is leaking, the gaskets can be flipped to make it seal tighter again.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I bought one of these and never used it because it does not feel like it seals well. Unlike the stock cap, this cap spins and spins without the lock in place feeling you get with the OEM cap. This may also be the case with the E46 cap..

This is why I recently ordered both the E46 M3 and a new M5 cap. I will test both out to see what I like and probably double-up on gaskets for a tighter seal. The M5 cap costs less than a new seal so I figured why not..
Doubling up on gaskets = more leaks drew. The fins on the bottom of the cap are designed to relieve pressure if need be (ie if the PCV fails). After a while, they lose their tension and you get leaks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bimmian Aluminium Oil Cap

Also available in Chrome but not really nice..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyone got a pic of the M3 Oilcap mentioned ealier?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts