BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been posts already on this subject, but I would like to raise the issue again, as I am concerned about the amount of oil my M5 has burned since new. I am about to reach my first service of 1200 miles (2000km) and up until now the car has used 1.3 liters. I have rigidly stuck to the running in regime. Is this what others have experienced? is it normal? or should i be concerned? :eek:

·
Registered
256 Posts
bmwnewm5 said:
I know there have been posts already on this subject, but I would like to raise the issue again, as I am concerned about the amount of oil my M5 has burned since new. I am about to reach my first service of 1200 miles (2000km) and up until now the car has used 1.3 liters. I have rigidly stuck to the running in regime. Is this what others have experienced? is it normal? or should i be concerned? :eek:
I used 1.1-1.2L in that same period, has settled a little now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also drank alot of oil up to 2500miles, a little bit more around to 4000m and now more steadier. Guess it will do so until 10k miles reached.

Much thirstier than the M3 and old M5.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
No reasons for worrying, same amount of burnt oil during the first 2000 km here. :wroom:

·
Registered
162 Posts
360bhp said:
Also drank alot of oil up to 2500miles, a little bit more around to 4000m and now more steadier. Guess it will do so until 10k miles reached.

Much thirstier than the M3 and old M5.

Techs at my dealer said that on some cars Oil consumption did not stabilize until the 10K mark.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got to 1000miles and the low oil light came on, so I poured 2L in- solved the problem but 1L probably would have done.
m5-black said:
Techs at my dealer said that on some cars Oil consumption did not stabilize until the 10K mark.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who have replied, I feel more reassured. However all my BMW's to date have never burnt oil so this comes as a surprise. Some have mentioned that this will eventually stabilise, does this mean that the car will still use a noticable amount of oil or will it be similar to my previous models where i never had the need to top up, the only time the oil required attention was during routine servicing?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
turton said:
I got to 1000miles and the low oil light came on, so I poured 2L in- solved the problem but 1L probably would have done.
Be careful! Putting too much oil in can damage the engine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i had the problem with my 2000 e39 m5 and it did settle in after 10K or so but then the problem came back and got worse after 60K. BMW stood up and took care of me with that high mileage.
i really think it is the diferance between using organic oil and synthetic oil. i'm no expert but as good as synthetics are they don't initially coat the cylinders as well as the good old organix.
mine is due in the usa oct. will let you know how i do.
max

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
max berger said:
i had the problem with my 2000 e39 m5 and it did settle in after 10K or so but then the problem came back and got worse after 60K. BMW stood up and took care of me with that high mileage.
i really think it is the diferance between using organic oil and synthetic oil. i'm no expert but as good as synthetics are they don't initially coat the cylinders as well as the good old organix.
mine is due in the usa oct. will let you know how i do.
max
Actually, synthetic oils do a much better job of coating the cylinder walls than organics. The synthetics 'fill in' the surface irregularities in the cylinder walls to the point where there is very little wear. This is one of the reasons that organics will 'break in' an engine quicker than synthetics - the surfaces of the mating parts will wear quicker with the organics.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My car took 1 liter before the runing in service. After the running in service the consumption almost stopped completly. I am down only 0,1 liter over the last 2000 km since the service.

Jonas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Used about 0.6l since the 1200mile service. Just coming up on 3000miles completed.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Mine has stabilized at appr. 0.1 L / 1000 km

1 - 15 of 15 Posts