BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery in my 9/2000 m5 died while inwas out of town over the holidays:sad3: When I pulled the battery to take to Advance Auto Parts and replace it with a AutoCraft Gold 95RH9, I was amazed to discover that the battery was the OEM that came with the car:confused3. In fact, when they tested the battery it still had 20CCA left in it!

This made me wonder, have other M5 owners experienced similar longevity with their OEM battery? Or is this battery a world record at 11years and 4 months? :goldcup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
For sure, this is a world record. However, if you car was driven everyday for the past 11 years, it is possible. It is just like winning the lottery, you should be really happy and spend the millions you saved wisely.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I swapped out my OEM battery from late 2002 this autumn, not because it failed but because I thought a winter with an 8 year old battery was asking for trouble. The indicator is still green, so maybe it would have lasted a few more years.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I also have the original battery in my 2000 M5. The previous owner used a battery tender when it wasn't driven, and now I do too. The only history the battery has according to the previous owner, was a low charge condition and he had the FSU replaced under warranty in 2003, which solved it. It still has the white 2000 tag on the side of the battery.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Mine is an April 2002 car and still on the original battery. Not daily driven, and periodically left for 4-6 weeks at a time between driving it. Car has only done 46k.

cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! The OEM battery seems to be an exceptional one. My experience with batteries has been that I typically about 4 years out of one. My car has 41k miles on it and the prior owner may have used a battery tender. Hope the new battery last half as long as the original .

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I replaced my OEM battery a few weeks ago, 9 years isn't bad at all! Tried to run an errand after letting it sit for a few days, and it was dead. The previous couple of days it seemed to pause before starting, but nothing that made me think it was on its way out. I guess when they go, they go fast.

·
Registered
321 Posts
2000 M5, 160k, original battery
I drive it daily and about four times a month it gets 3-4 hours non stop on the motorway which I suspects gives it a nice long charge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so I still have the record. Bono, what color is your interior? Sounds like we may have similar m5s. Mine is titanium silver with two tone grey/black interior with the alloy trim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts