BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Those numbers for the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's are complete bunk for a totally stock version. Just recently Autorotica took a 100 point perfect 426 Hemi Challenger http://www.speedtv.com/programs/242/ onto the strip for testing along with other famous cars from the past. This thing had a hard time getting into the 13's. There is NO chance any factory delivered version could run 10's...just do the math on weight versus power required...oh and then figure in the power values shown in that table for these car is Gross HP and not SAE Net per J1349. Fabled cars such as a the 454 Vette with "450 HP" really put out only about 360 SAE Net HP. Some of these numbers were faked on the low side but not by hundreds of HP. ;)

·
Registered
885 Posts
CSBM5 said:
Those numbers for the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's are complete bunk for a totally stock version. Just recently Autorotica took a 100 point perfect 426 Hemi Challenger http://www.speedtv.com/programs/242/ onto the strip for testing along with other famous cars from the past. This thing had a hard time getting into the 13's. There is NO chance any factory delivered version could run 10's...just do the math on weight versus power required...oh and then figure in the power values shown in that table for these car is Gross HP and not SAE Net per J1349. Fabled cars such as a the 454 Vette with "450 HP" really put out only about 360 SAE Net HP. Some of these numbers were faked on the low side but not by hundreds of HP. ;)
I'v owned a '69 Charger(440) and although it was pretty quick,the bi-turbo is a different leaque.
I'v a road test here in front of me(Car and Driver'68).The '68 hemi Charger does 13.5/105.
0-60=4.8
0-100=12.5
Those cars at the top certainly were not standard.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The top two Hemi cars from '68 were probably the Super Stock versions with lightweight body work, no back seats, etc. Built and sold for racing.:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts