BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my time/date keeps resetting so I assume my 2006 needs a new battery. Is this a dealership must or can I simply just swap it out with a similar rated battery?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have you tried recharging the current battery? I wouldn't go aftermarket. My battery went on my '06 and I replaced it with the newer AGM(Black) battery. It requires an update to the software and any battery you put in should be registered with the cars comp.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Just match the specs. There's nothing magical about BMW "branded" battery.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You're right. Nothing magical about it. BUT it does have to be registered. You have to tell the cars computers it has a new battery so it will change the charging strategy. And if you change from regular to an AGM, it has to be "retrofitted" because they charge at different voltages.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's my understanding and recent experience that simply dropping in a new battery even if it's the same spec won't work for very long. After finding out my battery was on the out and causing random issues I called the dealer for a quote - yeah, right...how much??? Long story short, I sourced the same battery and put it in myself. The only issue is it wouldn't hold a charge and unless I had it sitting on a charger daily.

Solution - the battery had to be synched to the car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's my understanding and recent experience that simply dropping in a new battery even if it's the same spec won't work for very long. After finding out my battery was on the out and causing random issues I called the dealer for a quote - yeah, right...how much??? Long story short, I sourced the same battery and put it in myself. The only issue is it wouldn't hold a charge and unless I had it sitting on a charger daily.

Solution - the battery had to be synched to the car.
Where did you source the battery? I'm in the same boat as well... did you end up having the battery synched?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Many indies (independent) Shops can do this lacking a buddy with a laptop, the software, the skill, and the time to code the battery...My indie charged me $60.

Reactions: ViKTORiOUS

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any tips on where I can purchase a battery from, with matching specs, other than the dealership?

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rolls Royce uses the same battery.....

Troy ended up synching everything when he completed the stroker so we should be good to go.

·
Registered
161 Posts
How much cheaper is an aftermarket AGM battery that works with the M5? I paid $340 at my local stealership.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I did this last year and just ran the numbers again on their web site. Advance Auto carries the H8-AGM which fits our cars and it's 900cca. They are 189 on line and type code HUGE50 at check out and it takes 50.00 off. There is an 18.00 core that is removed when you bring your battery in. It comes out to 139.00. Then used Rheingold to register battery which takes 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I did this last year and just ran the numbers again on their web site. Advance Auto carries the H8-AGM which fits our cars and it's 900cca. They are 189 on line and type code HUGE50 at check out and it takes 50.00 off. There is an 18.00 core that is removed when you bring your battery in. It comes out to 139.00. Then used Rheingold to register battery which takes 2 minutes.
Exactly what I did. :15:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just spoke with a friend in the parts dept. at BMW of Manhattan about the the battery issue.

My M5 is an early model build MY2006 and I have the white battery (non-AGM). The battery finally kicked a few days ago. He said BMW no longer services the white battery and that I would have to switch to an AGM black battery which DOES require programing.

Luckily I can get a discount on the battery from the dealership, but does the $150 programing fee make sense? Do I really need to switch to an AGM battery or can I just go to Autozone and pick up a replacement non-AGM battery? HELP!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Just spoke with a friend in the parts dept. at BMW of Manhattan about the the battery issue.

My M5 is an early model build MY2006 and I have the white battery (non-AGM). The battery finally kicked a few days ago. He said BMW no longer services the white battery and that I would have to switch to an AGM black battery which DOES require programing.

Luckily I can get a discount on the battery from the dealership, but does the $150 programing fee make sense? Do I really need to switch to an AGM battery or can I just go to Autozone and pick up a replacement non-AGM battery? HELP!!
He's correct that if you change from lead acid to AGM then the car has to be reprogramed to the AGM and told what amp the battery is. That's not to be confused with reregistering the battery which is also done when you change the battery of the same type, AGM to AGM. I would go with the AGM if it was me since these cars require a lot of battery. So yours would have to be reprogramed and reregistered.

·
Registered
204 Posts
He's correct that if you change from lead acid to AGM then the car has to be reprogramed to the AGM and told what amp the battery is. That's not to be confused with reregistering the battery which is also done when you change the battery of the same type, AGM to AGM. I would go with the AGM if it was me since these cars require a lot of battery. So yours would have to be reprogramed and reregistered.
I think that's the definitive answer. Thanks, as I'll archive in case it ever comes up again.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was at the stealership today getting some oil and asked about the battery:

Battery ranged from like $259 to $329 (3 options)
Service to install/register $120

What all is needed to register a new battery? As the autozone one for $13x.00 seems like the logical route to go as long as I can register it..

Reactions: rt7085

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was at the stealership today getting some oil and asked about the battery:

Battery ranged from like $259 to $329 (3 options)
Service to install/register $120

What all is needed to register a new battery? As the autozone one for $13x.00 seems like the logical route to go as long as I can register it..
Somebody who owns a computer with Rheingold, INPA/EDIABAS on it and the proper OBD cable for the car. (K-line x 2 version for <3/2007 build dates and DCAN version for newer cars).

If you do it yourself: A bit of computer knowledge and bunch of stamina and patience to set it up. If you already have a computer this can cost between 40 and 100 bucks :)

Next cheaper option is an Indy that is more reasonable for cost. Ask around on the board for recommendations in your area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts