BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in "pepping up" my 2002 M5. I live in Los Angeles and I wanted to find out who to take it to and what minor things I can do to improve performace.

I am happy with the performance and handling but we can all use a bit more, right?

I was considering a short shift, shocks (unless it makes the ride too rough) air intake, chip ugrades (does it void the warranty?)

Any suggestions?

static

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
This has been covered numerous times on the board, I would suggest using the search function.

But to answer your question, yes there are ways of giving your car a sportier/faster feel without doing serious work on it (i.e. headers, differentials, etc.). I would suggest installing Powerchip software, Dinan intake, an exhaust, and UFM temp. sensor relocation kit. I would use either Ground Control coilover suspension or Dinan stg. 3. Rogue, Autosolutions, and UUC Evo3 are the most popular short shifters.

Hope this helps,

Travis

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that helps. Do any of those upgrades void the factory warranty? I want to keep it intact...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know of a good place to get the upgrades in L.A.? A friend reccommended Speed Gallery in Studio City but it looks like they mostly secialize in porsche.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Static,

most aftermarket parts in the industry are not seen as warranty voiders in the legal sense but alot of dealers try to say they are. Do not listen to them...

As for installers...Try lucent motorsports on Sepulveda. phone - (310)231-3328
Youll be looking for Simon.

I would have recommended Renn Sport also down on sepulveda but they are disolving and the only person I trust in that company is leaving.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If Long Beach / Signal Hill is not too far ask For Fab at EF1 562 424 3378.

He is also authorized Tire Rack installer, meaning u can buy tires, etc. from TireRack and they will ship directly to him. He specializes in undercarriage work (suspension) but is all around do everything shop for mostly BMW, Benz, Porsche.

www.beastpower.com can also drop-ship products directly to EF1 for install. I have had couple items sent there from Daniel @ BP.

Long Beach BMW is about 2 sec. down the street from him. He works with them too. Dealerships wont give u problems about Dinan but u pay a premium for their product.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Like others have said, your warranty is only void if the aftermarket product can be proven to had caused the damage. The common misconception is that once an aftermarket product is installed, the cars warranty is immediately gone. Stick with good quality products and you will be fine.

Travis

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
M5Kid said:
Like others have said, your warranty is only void if the aftermarket product can be proven to had caused the damage. The common misconception is that once an aftermarket product is installed, the cars warranty is immediately gone. Stick with good quality products and you will be fine.

Travis
Technically correct.

But PRACTICALLY speaking, you may find yourself needing to prove the aftermarket mods DID NOT cause the problem. Worst case is the car sitting for a year while you litigate....

a

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
ard said:
Technically correct.

But PRACTICALLY speaking, you may find yourself needing to prove the aftermarket mods DID NOT cause the problem. Worst case is the car sitting for a year while you litigate....

a
Very good practical advice. Remember, in litigation, the golden rule applies: he who has the gold makes the rules!!! hiha
Regards,
Jerry

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Upgrade the most important part: you. Unless you are already a highly skilled driver, go to a top driving school, like Bondaurant (sp?). Its a blast and you will improve yourself + any car you drive! Best of all- you won't void any warranty! (so long as you go to a school where you use their cars).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MEnthusiast said:
Upgrade the most important part: you. Unless you are already a highly skilled driver, go to a top driving school, like Bondaurant (sp?). Its a blast and you will improve yourself + any car you drive! Best of all- you won't void any warranty! (so long as you go to a school where you use their cars).
Good point! what about doing the school in my own beast?

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
static said:
Good point! what about doing the school in my own beast?

Ever hear of BMW CCA? :haha: They run drivers education (DE) all over the country. Check with your local chapter. You get an instructor who is available to you all day. You get to use your own car. You get to have a lot of fun, and learn an awful lot for not a lot of money. DE's are the most fun you can have with your clothes on! hiha
After you have done some DE schools, you will move from novice to intermediate, and then some people move up to advanced. Once you are a good intermediate student, take Bondurant or Skip Barber,etc. These are not cheap schools. I think you will get a lot more out of a pro school if you already have a good idea of what you are doing at the track.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts