BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In moving out of my house I came across some stuff I put away from around the time I bought my 2000 M5. This includes the first reviews published by major U.S. mags, comparos in R&T and Car (with the M5 besting all comers -Mercedes E55, Jaguar XJS, 911 Carrera, Aston Martin DB7,) original brochures, a complete '00 BMW Press Kit, and '00 5-series brochures.

There are some marvelous quotes - like "... The M5 is as close to faultless as any car I've driven. Set the bar as high as you like, this thing will clear it. Unbelievable!"

Is this stuff salable? I'd like to get rid of all of it at once. What do you think it is worth? Should I eBay it?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Definitely collectible but I'd hold on to it for a while as the value will increase :thumbsup:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Id keep it- its fun to visit memory lane now and again. But if you want to sell it, I suppose here is stop #1 and eBay is stop #2. I don't know how valuable it is though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
greg said:
Is this stuff salable? I'd like to get rid of all of it at once. What do you think it is worth? Should I eBay it?
[/img]
Greg,

A little off topic, but still in the realm of your question . . . I just EBay'ed a bunch of NSX magazines (HyperRev, mag from Japan; a softbound book of all the articles on the NSX from concept to 1999-ish; a hardbound, 50 page glossy "brochure" of the NSX that was given to original NSX buyers; etc) and I got ~$170 for stuff I NEVER look at anymore. If I held onto it longer would it have been worth more? Not sure, but everything was in near mint condition and fetched the highest bids. I suspect even if I were especially careful, time was against me on them staying that way.

After fees, I ended up with about $150 in my pocket for items I found little value in, but someone else did. I say, share the wealth. BTW, these dollars went to help subsidize a new lens for my 300D, so I am quite pleased to have these items sitting in someone else's library when I have a new toy . . . JMO, Kevin

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
For me, I don't think I can ever part with my collection of M5 related mags as it's one of my favorite cars of all time.

Just the other day after reading the latest reviews of the E60 M5 in the November issue of the British mag Car, I dug up an old issue of that magazine from my collection which had an Oxford Green E39 M5 gracing its cover (Sept '98 issue). It's very interesting to re-read the old review and compare the findings to the new one.

·
Banned
386 Posts
Sell it to me:byee55amg :1:

·
10,445 Posts
I also have a bunch of that stuff, which i picked up new, knowing i'd have one of these cars some day. They only one i don't have (and am kicking myself for) is the EVO issue, which had a silverstone M5. I put it in my office waiting room, where it got thrashed, then i cut out a couple of the pics for my garage..... ouich (anyone have that copy of EVO they'd care to sell!)

I'm now starting to pick up and hang on to the e60 road tests, just in case...
Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would keep the entire lot to include in the sale of your Beast when (if) that day comes.The prospective buyer would love to get that as part of his purchase. Photocopy the best articles and give them to him while he is thinking about making the buy.
It may close the deal!

·
Registered
680 Posts
howler said:
I would keep the entire lot to include in the sale of your Beast when (if) that day comes.The prospective buyer would love to get that as part of his purchase. Photocopy the best articles and give them to him while he is thinking about making the buy.
It may close the deal!
Good call, Howler! Good call!

-Matthew

·
Registered
283 Posts
Am I missing something? One of the R&Ts you have pictured, the one titled "Ultimate Sports Car Test" has no mention of the M5. :confused:

I, too, have been gathering press material for the ///M since acquiring it, and I was eager to look for my copy when I saw that R & T pictured. I found it, but sadly, no M5. Was it a hidden feature? ;)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
howler said:
It may close the deal!
And it's a nice thing to do.

I usually give my buyers a binder full of photocopies of all receipts for service, accessories, etc., when I sell a car or motorcycle. It's always appreciated. I black out my name and address and remove any credit card slips. If they are a true enthusiast, and I have bought the car new, I'll sometimes let them have the window sticker...

Randy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts