BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As many of you know, this board lost a dynamic presence recently. Regardless of what you personally thought of George, he helped many, many owners on this board and his annual charity drive was one of the many things that make this board a great place.

We are proposing to do a charity drive in his honor and make a donation to the charity we decide on in his name (with Aphrodite's permission).

At this point we need to decide on a charity fairly quickly and get going before everyone gets into holiday craziness.

Charities suggested to date:

In honor of the disease that took George's Life:
The World Heart Foundation
The American Heart Association

The charity George supported most:
Unicef

Other thoughtful suggestions are welcome but I think it would be good to settle on one by Monday if possible.

As always

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to remind everybody, last year George pushed the board to raise over $2,300 (after some late donations made online directly to the charity) and I think we should do our best to beat that number in his honor.

Jim

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I am in for whichever charity upon which the group decides. I suggested the heart disease as that is what took George for us, but as UNICEF was among his favorite I like that idea equally.

Thank you, Jim, for getting this started.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The organisation with the broadest international remit would get my vote, thus representing the international membership of the forum.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The organisation with the broadest international remit would get my vote, thus representing the international membership of the forum.
That is a good suggestion as well since we do have members all over the world. Please recommend a specific charity that meets the criteria.

Jim

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about donations for fighting ebola?
Definitely the topic of the day and having worldwide repercussions right now.

Can you recommend a specific charity that is doing a good job in the fight?

Jim

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am happy to help out as the cashier again this year.

I vote for a Heart Disease Charity with global reach. We have global membership. I am not familiar with the World Heart Foundation, but if someone else is then it certainly sounds good to me.

As I said in another thread, The American Heart Association (AHA) is one of the charities that I give to outside of the board. My dad passed away too young of a massive coronary. As we were frantically deciding what to do, we had to suggest a charity. I suggested either the AHA or Susan B Komen as my dad was a fan of breasts. Mom thought the AHA was more appropriate.

George was instrumental in getting the idea of fundraising off the ground. He would market and contribute each year. He personally gave $500 last year. I keep all amounts anonymous, but George said that he was going to do that and I wanted everyone to know that he did.

I made a donation to another charity last year in George's daughters name. I let George know and he was extremely thankful. He followed it up with a very nice note, and upon doing some research he contributed anonymously as well.

One of the keys for this year is marketing. I know a lot of people said they had no idea that this was going on. How can we make sure there is broad reach across the board.

I was looking through some of the private messages between George and I. I remember him being disappointed with the amount that we raised last year. He felt that with 8,000 members, only getting $2K+ was not good. I looked at it as $2K more than the charity would have had. Let's shoot for at least $4K this year.

I am sharing a private message between George and I. It saddens me that he is no longer with us, however let's keep his spirit with us in the effort this year. I can tell you that anything shy of $400K would drive George to want more.

gkinvest said:
I sincerely hope that I am alive next year ( my health is pretty badly shaken ), in order to assist you in this effort.

With respect and warm regards,

George

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,401 Posts
Count me in!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Thank you for sharing the information-I too thought we would raise more and I gave the recommended pledge last year of $50, so if we plan to double it, I am good fpr $100 without a doubt.

Its a noble cause.

Bill

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well, one way to improve donations is to associate them with something in return. Maybe one of our Sponsored Vendors would be willing to donate a specific part. Donate to the cause and an opportunity to win the item (aka raffle). I don't know what the legalities are though. Idea may be a nuisance.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All,

based on the response, I am narrowing our charity choices to UNICEF or Direct Response (a donation that would go directly to their ebola work) since both of these donations would help people around the world as opposed to just the US. Also, after doing a little research, both charities do a great job of spending their money on the programs we are supporting, not admin and fund raising costs.

Please chime in with your preference if you have one!!!

Would like to finalize in the next couple of days so we can get approval from the board administrators to move forward.

Jim

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hi All,

based on the response, I am narrowing our charity choices to UNICEF or Direct Response (a donation that would go directly to their ebola work) since both of these donations would help people around the world as opposed to just the US. Also, after doing a little research, both charities do a great job of spending their money on the programs we are supporting, not admin and fund raising costs.

Please chime in with your preference if you have one!!!

Would like to finalize in the next couple of days so we can get approval from the board administrators to move forward.

Jim
As this is in memory of George, and as it was not Ebola that took him from this life; I would vote for a cause that was special to him, UNICEF.

Thank you, again, Jim for taking the lead on this.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,401 Posts
Im in for UNICEF!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi All,

Sorry for the delayed update but was traveling all week. I think it is fairly unanimous for going with UNICEF.

All we have to do now is get approval from the board admin and moderators (which is in process) and we can get this officially kicked off.

I will be in touch as soon as I hear back from them.

Jim

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'm in. This all seems so shocking still, like a bad dream ;(

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hi All,

We are still working things out with the Admins/Mods but in the meantime, I wanted a little feedback on some ideas I had to maximize the money we raise for the charity this year. As we all know, George could be a polarizing figure on the board so if we do the formal gift to UNICEF in his name, some of the members might stay away from the donation drive in principal. I know George would hate to see that and while Aphrodite did give me permission to do the donation in honor of George, she said she thought he would be just as happy to see it be from the board itself. In life, he donated anonymously and I am sure he always cared about getting more money for the charity than caring about in whose name it was donated. Another factor is that others manage their charitable donations in their own name to take advantage of the tax benefits, etc. so they lose some of those benefits by making a group donation and therefore take a pass or make a smaller donation because of it.

To address all these concerns as best I can, I was thinking that the following might be a good idea:

1 - The group donation to UNICEF will be "From your friends on the ///M5Board///M6Board"
2 - Anyone who wants to participate individually or make a donation in George's name on their own can do so, shoot a screen shot of the receipt screen or confirmation email with only the amount donated for the drive showing and post it in the thread to be included in how much the total donation from the board ends up being.

My only goal here is to raise as much money as possible for a truly worthy cause. Really, who, anywhere, doesn't want to help children?

Any thoughts are appreciated (including, Good Idea - Bad Idea or "Jim, you are wayyy over-thinking this" :1zhelp:).

Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts