BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

M5/M6 Broken coil removal (E60/E63/E64 - S85 V10)

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  platii 
#1 · (Edited)
So I replaced 9 spark plugs in under 90 minutes, typically I would be pretty happy with that timeline - except we have 10. The rag method popped all my coils off except 5 & 10. I used a ratchet extension (and a socket for leverage) on #10, popped right out. The clip on #5 was broken loose before I even started (so thanks to whoever reinstalled that coil last time the plugs were done) and different methods in attempt to remove it completely destroyed the coil, leaving the plug boot stuck in the head/valve cover:
Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive fuel system Automotive engine part

Wall Water Wire Shadow Concrete

I tried lots of tools etc to extract the remainder of the coil, I will spare you the failed attempts and skip to what worked. I picked up a pair of 280mm "plug pliers" for less than $10.
Tool Diagonal pliers Wire stripper Pliers Nipper
Tool

As delivered, the end does not fit in to the spark plug tube enough to get a grip on the boot, so I had to grind it down:
Metal
Wall Shadow Wood Black-and-white Metal

Still life photography Metal

Diagonal pliers Pliers Lineman's pliers Needle-nose pliers Tool

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Once the pliers fit properly they worked great. They were long enough to go between the two harnesses directly above #5 with plenty of handle left for grip
Auto part Fuel line Vehicle Suspension Car

Vehicle Car Wire Auto part Automotive exterior

It was important to grab the boot from the top side of the tube (shown below) rather than the bottom (shown above). I thought grabbing from the bottom would work but it continued to break apart the boot. After a switch to gripping from the top side it came right out.

Fuel line Hose Auto part

Now I just need to make some sort vacuum extension to clean out that tube before pulling the plug, fingers crossed that I am through the worst of it. I hope this helps someone (hence the extensive title) as I was at quite a loss when the top of my coil popped off, my valve covers don't leak, so I was not wanting to have to take one off just to get this damn boot off.

#3 ·
Had the same EXACT **** show on our 2007 - took about 2-3 hours worth of PB blaster, drilling, putting in screws and pulling with various plier implements to get it to pop. I ended up cleaning the tube with compressed air can - essentially blow out the crap + oil out of it before the plug comes out.

#4 ·
Glad to hear someone else tried inserting a screw for a new leverage point. I thought it was pure brilliance after I got the screw in and felt it pop loose on my first try with a pry bar...felt less brilliant when I realized the top of the coil had separated from the bottom. Good call on the compressed air, I'll double tap it with that and the vacuum. Speaking of which, a guy at the parts store recommended just pulling the plug and letting all the debris fall into the cylinder. "the top of the piston is dry and it will all fall into a neat pile that will be easier to vacuum out" - is it just me or does that sound like a horrible idea?

#5 ·
Glad to hear someone else tried inserting a screw for a new leverage point. I thought it was pure brilliance after I got the screw in and felt it pop loose on my first try with a pry bar...felt less brilliant when I realized the top of the coil had separated from the bottom. Good call on the compressed air, I'll double tap it with that and the vacuum. Speaking of which, a guy at the parts store recommended just pulling the plug and letting all the debris fall into the cylinder. "the top of the piston is dry and it will all fall into a neat pile that will be easier to vacuum out" - is it just me or does that sound like a horrible idea?
Yupp, and then you start pulling a mile of of copper wire instead the whole coil.

I definitely would not touch the plug until you get all that stuff out there - you can get a compressed air can with those super long tubes, so you can stick it all the way down next to the bottom of the spark plug. Between that and shop vac on top you should be all set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.