BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've asked for the part numbers and whether they are for LHD or RHD model!

·
Registered
494 Posts
No offence to anyone who has them, but personally I don't think they suit the car at all.
I much prefer my bog standard E34 mirrors :confused3

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just been outside and checked mine; LHD.

AFAK the mirrors are universal, but the bases are specific for LHD or RHD.
RHD bases for the E34 don't exist, although they do for other series.

:cheers:

Sam

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I like them, and at that price it's worth the risk that some scrote is going to nick them within a week - and then find out they don't fit their 3-series :rolleyes:

They will also help reduce my aerodynamic drag on track days :biggrin:

Just wait until I get the big white stripe over the length of the car done - it will look just like a Nova!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
I like them, and at that price it's worth the risk that some scrote is going to nick them within a week - and then find out they don't fit their 3-series :rolleyes:

Just wait until I get the big white stripe over the length of the car done - it will look just like a Nova!

According to an aerodynamicist friend of mine the hole in the mirror mounting will in effectively reduce the downforce on the rear of the car inducing oversteer thus increasing your lap times unless you put 200 kg of concrete in the boot which will of course reduce straight line performance. To counter this you would have to leave the rear windows open and staple the headlining with an Italian Stapler but the open windows would reduce top speed and thus lap times.

It is looking hopeless but the aerodynamicist said that putting a Vauxall badge on the car will cancel the above but Jeremy Clarkson will never speak to you again.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Personally I prefer the look of the standard mirrors too, I think the sports mirrors are too small and look out of place on the M5. I've also driven a car with them fitted and the mirror area means a much smaller viewing area, gets annoying after a while.

Plus they'll be nicked and fitted on a Lada within a week of you buying them.... ouich

The NEONS, on the other hand...... :3:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
They're only dash lights - I would need the full undertray neon kit - preferably multi-colour.

Then the rally slag white wheels and roof spoiler to match!

Maybe some 'rally spec' mud flaps as well?
I know - couldn't find the full under car neon jobbies!

Mirrors aren't my cup of tea, but it wouldn't do for us all to like the same things........ ;)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Mmm-Five said:

I think all the genuine M mirrors for the M5 are LHD as I did not think that the option was available for RHD cars.

As Sam said his are still LHD and I know when I spoke to Tony at Munich Legends he said that apart from all the other issues they had converting the car that the mirrors were only available that way.

I agree about the picture as it looks as though it is from a catologue.

One other thing there are still a number of "wonderful people" out there who enjoy "borrowing" mirrors from peoples cars wthout asking and although they do not fit their cars they may try and borrow your mirrors.

Euro law dictates that in the event of an accident the mirrors "pop" off or fold out of the way, if they hit something unfortunatly this means that if someone hits them then they can "pop" off all on there own!.

There was a company that used to offer to alarm the mirrors and I am trying to find the name for Sam once I do I will post the details.

Simon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts