BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening Guys
Right i am at a complete loss as to what is causing this problem and hoping you guys could help please

So the problem is that the car steers & tracks badly and also produces a grinding vibration at low speed at around 25-30mph which travels up into the front footwells passenger side, drivers side and pedal box and has start to produce a humming sound like a wheel bearing and when moving if i press the clutch in i can still feel the vibration:confused3

Now the car has been inspected by 4 indy garages and no one can pin piont the problem:( i have had wheels bearing checked and listen too, the steering checked, drive train check and have spent the best part of 1k changing parts but still no difference:confused3 could it be the front tyres?????

Here's hope you guys could help

Regards

Raffa

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Burnout

No mate i have not changed anything
Sometimes, the weights on the wheels may have come off and the wheel becomes unbalanced. Or, your wheel may be bent somewhere. Something that should be checked if wheel bearings checked out.

Reactions: RaffaM5

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes, the weights on the wheels may have come off and the wheel becomes unbalanced. Or, your wheel may be bent somewhere. Something that should be checked if wheel bearings checked out.
Hi M55555
All wheels have been checked and 4 wheel alinement been carried out:confused3

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have similar symptoms when i changed my winter tires to summer tires and accidentally put one rear tire (275) to front(245) :p
There is lots of reason for your symptom. I hope that some chassis expert know better than me. :)

edit: And my car had vibration cos i had to do sudden brake without abs. So tires are F*cked.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi M55555
All wheels have been checked and 4 wheel alinement been carried out:confused3
Do a quick visual inspection of your tires. Check for signs of cupping.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do a quick visual inspection of your tires. Check for signs of cupping.
M55555
Thanks for your input

i have had all the tyres checked and balanced, do you feel if the front tyres are at fault the problem would get worse as i put miles on the car??

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
M55555
Thanks for your input

i have had all the tyres checked and balanced, do you feel if the front tyres are at fault the problem would get worse as i put miles on the car??
If the issue is isolated to the tires, it will depend on what about the tire that is causing the vibration. If it's cupping or uneven wear for example, it will remain the same over time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the issue is isolated to the tires, it will depend on what about the tire that is causing the vibration. If it's cupping or uneven wear for example, it will remain the same over time.
There is no uneven wear on the front tyres and the vibration is getting worse by putting milage on the car

M55555
do you know of any other part that could be causing the problem? it is for sure coming from the front and if when moving i turn the steering wheel or the car hits a bump you can feel the vibration change???

The problem i have is that even one of the best indys in my area cant find the problem, so am well and truly at a loss

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
There is no uneven wear on the front tyres and the vibration is getting worse by putting milage on the car

M55555
do you know of any other part that could be causing the problem? it is for sure coming from the front and if when moving i turn the steering wheel or the car hits a bump you can feel the vibration change???

The problem i have is that even one of the best indys in my area cant find the problem, so am well and truly at a loss
There are a number of things that could be causing your vibration. What I may suggest is to seek a second opinion from a different indy and see if he has a different diagnosis.

Reactions: RaffaM5

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a number of things that could be causing your vibration. What I may suggest is to seek a second opinion from a different indy and see if he has a different diagnosis.
M55555
Again thanks, The car has been to 4 x indys and all report the same findings, steering etc in excellent condition with no play what so ever, but can confirm the grinding vibration, but can not find the problem and are at a loss as to what it is :confused2:confused2

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
M55555
Again thanks, The car has been to 4 x indys and all report the same findings, steering etc in excellent condition with no play what so ever, but can confirm the grinding vibration, but can not find the problem and are at a loss as to what it is :confused2:confused2
I find it odd that with so many Indys cannot come up with a solution. :confused:

OK let's get down to it. Can you let us know under what driving conditions you encounter this grinding vibration?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I find it odd that with so many Indys cannot come up with a solution. :confused:

OK let's get down to it. Can you let us know under what driving conditions you encounter this grinding vibration?

Thanks very much M55555

Ok the grinding Vibration is most felt at 25-30mph and if i push my clutch in i can feel the vibration still coming though the footwells, also if i move the steering wheel from side to side or i hit a bump i can feel the vibration change, now the vibration appears to disperse at higher speeds, but i still can feel it, the only other pionter that maybe a factor is the steering tracks very badly and i sometimes get a crashing noise coming from the front suspension

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks very much M55555

Ok the grinding Vibration is most felt at 25-30mph and if i push my clutch in i can feel the vibration still coming though the footwells, also if i move the steering wheel from side to side or i hit a bump i can feel the vibration change, now the vibration appears to disperse at higher speeds, but i still can feel it, the only other pionter that maybe a factor is the steering tracks very badly and i sometimes get a crashing noise coming from the front suspension
Are you running OEM wheels?

Does the vibration remain the same whether you're going straight or during a turn? How about a U-Turn?

What, if any, have you done to your car recently?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you running OEM wheels?

Does the vibration remain the same whether you're going straight or during a turn? How about a U-Turn?

What, if any, have you done to your car recently?
Yes OEM wheels on car and car is complete standard

It does change a little when the steering is moved or i hit a bump and no problems in doing U-turns

Nothing apart from the parts being put on the car to try and sort out the problem

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
if this is as bad as you make it sound, grinding noise etc it shouldn't be that hard to find. lets get some basic info, the vibration is only there when the vehicle is in motion? if you rev the engine parked in neutral there is no vibration?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if this is as bad as you make it sound, grinding noise etc it shouldn't be that hard to find. lets get some basic info, the vibration is only there when the vehicle is in motion? if you rev the engine parked in neutral there is no vibration?

Hi Nightkrawer
Vibration is very bad at low speed and the vibration is only when in motion

1 - 20 of 31 Posts