BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my oil.
And I use a hydrolic jack and jack stands.
I jacked the car up on this rubber piece, behind
the front wheel. I searched around for other spots
but there seem to be alot of plastic underneath.
So I went ahead and jacked it up. Then i searched
for a spot to put the jack stand.. And couldn't really
find a good spot. Being paranoid that I am, i left the
jack and jack stand next to each other and decided not
to lift the other side.

So where are the jacking points?? or do you use some place
on the chassie??

THanks

and no i don't have an owners manual

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
I recently changed my oil.
And I use a hydrolic jack and jack stands.
I jacked the car up on this rubber piece, behind
the front wheel. I searched around for other spots
but there seem to be alot of plastic underneath.
So I went ahead and jacked it up. Then i searched
for a spot to put the jack stand.. And couldn't really
find a good spot. Being paranoid that I am, i left the
jack and jack stand next to each other and decided not
to lift the other side.

So where are the jacking points?? or do you use some place
on the chassie??

THanks

and no i don't have an owners manual
You might want to buy an Owner's Manual because it covers many things that you may otherwise learn the hard way. They cost about $8 US Funds at a dealer.

There is a cup in the frame under the center of the motor for jacking with a big floor jack. I find I need to drive the car onto pieces of 2x6 wood to get my jack under the car far enough.

I found that the front frame has large tubular beams splayed rearward at a 45 degree angle, right near the bell housing. Jackstands with smaller tops will fit on this heavy frame tubing nicely. This is an optional spot for jackstands, instead of using the rocker panel cups....although there is some aluminum heat shield wrapped partially around the frame tube that will get dimpled. I'm "over it" already.

The four plastic cups on the corners of the rocker panels can be used for jackstands, if you fashion an adapter to keep the jackstand centered in the cup. I made metal adapters that fit between the cup and my jackstands.

Jacking the rear of the car up is quite tricky due to a lack of a strong frame section for locating jackstands or jack cup. It is not generally recommended, but I jack against my 540i differential, lifting the car from the center. I will caution that the differential & aluminum frame is not designed to support 2000lbs in the center (under the diff) because this is not a solid axle car. Serious damage is a remote possibility. I can't find any other way to safely jack the car up in order to position a jackstand. The rocker panel jack points work for jacking, but there's nowhere to put your jackstand once you raise the car. The rear lower control arms are tubular and quite flimsy, so I did not try jacking or putting jackstands under them.

The first time I jacked my car up and perched it on 4 jackstands, it took me about 3 hours. I can cut that to about 1 hour now. ouich

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Keep the jack on the 4 rubber lifting pads, two just behind the front wheels and two just before the rear wheels. If you lift on the rearend you will probably crush the heatsink cover, and the underbody shrowd will hide the correct point in the front.

It is very common that the rubber lifting pads fall off of the car and will need to be replaced for about $4 bucks each.

Replace these and use them to lift the car.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Lscman said:
...There is a cup in the frame under the center of the motor for jacking with a big floor jack. I find I need to drive the car onto pieces of 2x6 wood to get my jack under the car far enough....
This might be hard to see, as I believe the plastic undertray covers this spot on the M5.

·
10,458 Posts
EdP said:
This might be hard to see, as I believe the plastic undertray covers this spot on the M5.
I'm almost 100% sure there is a hole in the undertray that this sticks out of Ed. It's not easy to see without climing under the car, which of course you can't do unlesses it's lifted.

For the front, i've used a small jack to lift one side a bit, from the lift pad, to get my jack under the center and lift from the central spot that lscman mentioned.
I've also jacked off the diff, wait, that does not sound right at all. I've jacked the car up by the diff, just make sure you're not on the finned cover. I've also put the jack just inboard of the lift pads, on the rockers, so you can raise the car then put the jack stand under the lift pad. Nothing damaged yet!
Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
Xcargo said:
Keep the jack on the 4 rubber lifting pads, two just behind the front wheels and two just before the rear wheels. If you lift on the rearend you will probably crush the heatsink cover, and the underbody shrowd will hide the correct point in the front.

It is very common that the rubber lifting pads fall off of the car and will need to be replaced for about $4 bucks each.

Replace these and use them to lift the car.
Anyone heard of jack pad failures? E46 M3's have some jack points in the same area and there have been instances where they have collapsed into the car. It's recommended to not leave the car jacked on these areas for much more time then changing a tire, because of the potential for jack point failure. Is this something to be concerned with on the M5?

On another note, any tips on how I get a new jack pad into the car? I just to squish it in using my jack and the cars wait, but that didn't work.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
HDClown said:
Anyone heard of jack pad failures? E46 M3's have some jack points in the same area and there have been instances where they have collapsed into the car. It's recommended to not leave the car jacked on these areas for much more time then changing a tire, because of the potential for jack point failure. Is this something to be concerned with on the M5?

On another note, any tips on how I get a new jack pad into the car? I just to squish it in using my jack and the cars wait, but that didn't work.
The rocker panel jack pad area is quite sturdy on my E39. It is likely flimsier on other models like E46 that weigh less than 2 Tons (lol).

As mottati mentioned, the M5 differential has alumininum heat fins on it (that my 540i does not have). Jack positioning is very difficult, if you hope to prevent damage or slippage/disaster. IMO, it's not such a good idea to jack on the diff.

·
Registered
463 Posts
mottati said:
I'm almost 100% sure there is a hole in the undertray that this sticks out of Ed....
I think I know what you mean, but I didn't recognize that as the cross-member that can be used for jacking. Is the cutout you're referring to circular in shape? I'll have to take a closer look next time the car is on a lift.

·
Registered
89 Posts
HDClown said:
I had the car on four jack stands via jack pads this entire weekend, no problems to speak of.

As for the front jack point, it is ~5 inches behind the oil trap door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts