BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
- Hi,

I am new to these boards. Sorry if i am posting in the wrong area. I just wanted to post this so it can help anyone out there that is having similar issues. I bought a 2000 m5 two weeks ago. Everything looked ok, it ran ok. Ofcourse this was my first time driving this car. I bought the call for 11.5k. On the way back home, SES light comes on. Guy that sold me the car was nice enough to give me peake code reader with the car. Codes were following

08 - cam sensor driver side
1B - forgot what this is- i think this is the table to refer it to in peake code reader, not actual code, took 4 hours of reading to figure this out. :)
B8 - vanos bank1 passenger side

i drove the car for couple of days to work ignoring the codes, hoping that they will go away. One day it was really cold outside and during restart car rattled and then i got the following codes

71 - vanos driver
4A- vanos driver
4B - vanos driver

Took the car to BMW tech that said, 3200 to rebuild vanos. Ofcourse, i could not afford it so i took the car home. Car ran ok but almost no power and loud rattle at start ups.

Found a guy in columnbia, MD . His name is adam, he is a member here, i forgot his username. Anyways, he was so kind, he had some extra vanos boards so he offered me a great deal on the boards. I took the car to him. He replaced the VANOS BOARDS on both sides and started the car. Car started fine except after 30 second had huge cloud of smoke coming from exhaust. That was very nerve wrecking to see.

Anyhow, long story short, adam kept the car there for a day, and he said, he will try couple of other things. He replaced drive side, intake camshaft sensor and exhaust camshaft sensor. After this, car ran perfectly ( with diesel engine noise ofcourse)

So moral of the story is, camshaft position sensors can make it seem that VANOS are bad. Car will throw all kind of codes if either of these sensor is bad. Replace those sensors first before paying for vanos. I will do all 4 of mine soon to new units.

Thank you Adam (columbia, MD)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You sir, connected with the right guy.

Good to hear of another "Clemster" to the rescue story.

Welcome to the board!

:M5rev:

Reactions: Wishin4anM5

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If my car ever breaks down in MD, I know who to call. Adam is a great guy who goes out of way to get used parts shipped quickly.

Reactions: Wishin4anM5

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice stuff!

I remember reading somewhere that most all if not all of the codes that can be traced to vanos are the same codes that can be traced to cam position sensors on the S62.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts