BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven the M5. While it is a fine car i believe that BMW has gone soft. I mean if the m5 motor was as efficient as the M3 it should be producung approx 365kw and not the 300kw as currently. secondly, its too fat. If i want a luxury car then i buy an s class or 750i. By ditching all the leather, wood , sat nav ect they should be able to shave at least 200kg off the weight. it would then have a power to weight ratio of between 4 and 5. This my friends would a serious machine in the true german spirit.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Mark, You need to turn the Caps off as it is the equivalent of shouting when you use capitals for your post.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe the real proof of the M5's worth would be beating the Porsche 996 WHILE carrying your wife and 2.5 children around in comfort...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Shane,

With regards to efficiency, I can see that you have mastered the art of comparing peak HP numbers. Congratulations, doesn't mean much. My two worthless cents is that heavy cars are better matched to "torquey" engines... which in normally aspirated form is usually supplied by higher displacement. So if you are after M3 style power, you would have to drop the displacement to 4.3L, then you could spin the thing up to 8k, and get that "efficiency" which you crave. I don't disagree about the weight, but my other worthless two cents is that BMW has slotted this as a high speed autobahn cruiser. In fact, I think the M3 is the perfect answer to someone who wants a "less fat" M5.

Dan

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
1) Everything is relative. Is an M3 fat? If you're into 160hp motorcycles, it is. Maybe even if you've got a Ferrari 360 laying around.

2) You lose specific HP as you go to a larger displacement. Once again, that M3 engine doesn't manage the specific HP of a decent 900cc bike.

3) Yes, the M5 is fat. It's a big car, meant to do big-car things like carry people around. It happens to be bloody fast while doing so.

·
Registered
675 Posts
YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.THE M5 IS MEANT TO BE AND IS A SPORTS CAR WHEN YOU WANT AND A LUXURY CRUISER WHEN YOU WANT.NAME ANOTHER CAR WITH SIMILAR ATTRIBUTES ? IF THEY MAKE IT MORE SPORTY IT LOSES ITS OTHER BENEFITS.LETS FACE IT ONLY THE MERC E55 AND JAGUAR XJR ARE COMPATIBLE AND THE MERC IS TOO NOISY AND STIFF RIDING AND THE JAG IS TOO SOFT.I'VE GOT A CAR THAT WILL FERRY MY FAMNILY ROUND IN COMPLETE COMFORT AND YET WHEN I WANT WILL OUTRUN A PORSCHE 996.WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Having somewhat regular access to a 360 Modena (as the father permits) as well as another v8 in the same range: XK8, i can say that the m5 is the defintive sport sedan. How often can you kick the *&^% out of a 993/6 (save turbos) and still have 4 buddies with you to savor it? Yea, it feels "fat" compared to a lithe car, but you have to understand what it's for. and who the HELL would remove leather/wood/aluminum to save weight? Try the panels, seats, hell, build a whole new car from scratch.

This car seriously kicks ***!

--Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts