BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have a chance to buy a 2001 M5 in Oxford Green. Here's my dilemma...my favorite colour is black with black internals, although I test-drove a really dark blue (1999 model) which looked cool too. I could probably live with the silverstone (light grey) too, but Oxford Green? Well, I've never considered it and haven't seen on in the flesh. The attached photos from the dealer look OK (ie I could live with it), as they appear very dark.

Now the question is 'are the photos pretty faithful to the real colour, or are they darker due to the camera/lighting or whatever?'

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Best regards, Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
If green is not one of you favourite colour don't do it. Colour is such a personal thing that you would be kicking yourself for not getting your preferred color long after you buy the car. I'd just be patience and wait for the right colour.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Other pics that I have seen here do NOT look that dark. I (personally) like green but ONLY if it is very dark. I have not seen an Oxford green M5. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
XSV Pete said:
Folks,

I have a chance to buy a 2001 M5 in Oxford Green. Here's my dilemma...my favorite colour is black with black internals, although I test-drove a really dark blue (1999 model) which looked cool too. I could probably live with the silverstone (light grey) too, but Oxford Green? Well, I've never considered it and haven't seen on in the flesh. The attached photos from the dealer look OK (ie I could live with it), as they appear very dark.

Now the question is 'are the photos pretty faithful to the real colour, or are they darker due to the camera/lighting or whatever?'

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Best regards, Peter
I was the same when I bought mine, but as it is the only one I have ever seen I really love the colour now -

Check my pictures to see more
http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10697&thumb=1

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
When looking to buy a used car, you have to be somewhat colorblind. If the perfect car rolls in and is in the wrong color, (assuming it isnt Leguna Seca Blue etc) then it is prudent to buy the best mechanical car in the color you might not 100% want. There are plenty of beasts out there, so feel free to take your time, but if that green beast is the mechanical one, then I would look long and hard at how easy it would be to live with a car that isnt the best color, but is the best buy.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I would wait for the color I want. There is a green M5 for sale in my area and I went and viewed the vehicle and it is really really GREEN!!! If the car is in good shape, as has been suggested it might be worth it. However, what works today might not tommorrow and then not only are you mad its in the shop, but then its not the color you wanted!!

Wait!!! They are such rare and special cars, you really,really want to enjoy it!! Just the thought that your asking makes me say its probably not for you.:sad2:

:typing: Anyway, let us know what happens!!! Good luck!!:M5launch: :wroom:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I was dead set on black or silver when I was shopping, but came across a Royal Red. The color grew on me so much that I couldn't get it out of my mind...nothing else measured up for overall visual effect. I think in part because Royal Red is an uncommon color, making the car look all the more special.

I've never seen an e39 M5 that didn't knock my socks off, and the photos of the Oxford look beautiful. But as others have said, don't rush it. The Oxford may really grow on you, and you'll have the distinction of driving a relative rare color. Asthetics are personal and mysterious...if doubt remains, keep looking until it feels right.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
164 Posts
You rang? :p

I would say that the pics attached look pretty close to accurate (at least in my browser). The interior ones are overexposed, however (is that black or grey?).

Oxford Green IS darker than the greens (like Audi's) which have a yellow component; when dusty it can appear almost black from a distance. However, if you shine it up it brightens to an emerald. Color IS personal but Oxford Green/Black (luxury) was wifey's and my first choice. I think it's exceptional, particularly because OG is quite rare and over black even more so. But that's because it's MY color combo. Others feel the same way about blue or red or black tones, of course.

Again, it is NOT a yellow-green (you can tell because bees/bugs don't hover around it). It's darker than that.

Good Luck with whatever your decision turn out to be.

=NLK=

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Oxford green is a color that you need to see more often in person to get to like it. The color isn't as dark as in the pictures you posted imo, it really depends on the wheather conditions etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Color is a matter of taste and there is no wrong answer here, whatever you like is what you should get.

BUT green tends to have poor resale compared to other colors, so be sure you really like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was set on Sterling Silver or Carbon Black with Caramel interior but found a Oxford Green with Caramel in great shape, cosmetically and mechanically. It test drove great and was well taken care of. I wasn't crazy about green but it is a classy combo and definitely a sleeper. It grows on me every day, and I am truly happy with my decision.
Brian :wroom:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Folks,

Thanks for your advice and opinions. Much appreciated and I think my take-out from the comments is to have a look at it in the flesh, then decide.

Best regards, Peter

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just thought I'd post as I just saw an Oxford Green M5 for the first time about 20 min ago walking back from lunch (Greenwich, CT).

Even in direct sun at 1pm it was much darker than I was expecting... looked black from 50 ft away and didn't actually realize it was green until I got closer. Very nice color.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I myself have an E39 (unfortunately, not an M5 :sad1: ) in Oxford Green and I really love it. At first I was hesitating whether to buy it or not, but when I first saw it, all my hesitations just vanished
The color looks really great! :M5thumbs: What is more, it is quite rare.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts