BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My m5 was hit hard in the side (extremely hard). the ecw and the wiring harness in the engine was cut in the process, my idiot mechanic threw away the rest of the wires off the wiring harness. anyway I want some advice, should i get a new wiring harness installed (very expensive labor and harness is upwards of 1500) or should i get the wires cut from another m5 and spliced into my harness. Does anyone have experience with this? I will post pictures later this week. I ordered a new ecw but have yet to program it and havent decided on the harness yet.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Assuming insurance covers it, IMO use a new harness. I personally would never allow a harness to be spliced on my car.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
phillym5 said:
New Harness... no question.
Ditto.

The only scenario is that you are looking to sell the car to a sworn blood enemy as soon as you get it started.

ANY splice in ANY wire, not done at the factory is a risk. I hate them. The crap tap splices, crimps... all are a risk for oxidation and failure. To splice 50 or so wires is INSANE.

Sell your kidney if you need to- buy a new one.

:)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
First of all, I hope everyone is all right.

About the wiring, I would definitely say get a new cable loom.
One of the last things you want in a car is electrical trouble.

Actually, and don´t be angry with me for saying this, I think your mechanic unwittingly did you a big favour throwing the remaining part of the damaged cable loom away.

What is the insurance situation? If there was enough structural damage to the car to cut the DME cable loom the impact must have caused damage to the frame and all steering and suspension compnents too.

Maybe you would be better off if the insurance company bought the car from you..?

David

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldnt accept a spliced loom, from what ive read the electronics are fickle enough without adding50 extra connectors..

Saying that, BMW refused to turn off my mates airbag light cause he had to add new conectors to a wire under the seat because they got crushed. They said they could only put a new loom in and wouldnt accept any heath robinson wiring..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant EWS. no insurance is not an option, it sounds like I have an 80% chance of future problems if I have it spliced. Would that be correct. Could i make him triple wrap the wires to prevent oxidation, would that even help. If I buy a new harness what is a good price to pay for the labor to install it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would definitely replace the wiring harness given the electrical complexity of the E39. Otherwise you can expect electrical gremlins to repeatedly appear if you start splicing things back together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts