BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 M5 just hit 57K miles and while it's been a reliable car I'd like to hear from this forum your experience with high mileage E60s. I'm still happy with the car, but am wondering if I'm going to run into nasty repair bills.

I've noticed is some clutch vibration during low speed starts. "Normal" oil consumption. Sometimes the nav system DVD makes noise when the car is first started.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My 2006 M5 just hit 57K miles and while it's been a reliable car I'd like to hear from this forum your experience with high mileage E60s. I'm still happy with the car, but am wondering if I'm going to run into nasty repair bills.

I've noticed is some clutch vibration during low speed starts. "Normal" oil consumption. Sometimes the nav system DVD makes noise when the car is first started.
100K miles here. DVD needs replacement, clutch replaced twice, transmission three times. Its not a cheap car to maintain out of warranty but understand that its all relative. You are getting Ferrari level performance for a fraction of price both in terms of original purchase and maintenance. I 'd budget about 20K a year to run the car out of warranty.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
100K miles here. DVD needs replacement, clutch replaced twice, transmission three times. Its not a cheap car to maintain out of warranty but understand that its all relative. You are getting Ferrari level performance for a fraction of price both in terms of original purchase and maintenance. I 'd budget about 20K a year to run the car out of warranty.
How much is a new clutch? What would cost 20k in maintenance? :confused:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

20k/year? Wow, it just shows that you don´t trust your car.

·
Banned
194 Posts
yikes, thank god i just bought extended warranty, i guess ill sell b4 warranty is up.
125k and 84 months left on my warranty,i think ill be good for a while. I still cant belive people are buying these cars without one. There should be a law against that. Some dealers are good and insist that you get one for it othersdont care they just want to move the car.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You have had bad experiences so you're $20k # is relative to your saltiness. On average, it will NOT be even remotely close to 20k a year. Not even close to 10k a year. Stop scaring people.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not even close to 10k a year. Stop scaring people.
He may be counting gas. Maybe he's counting insurance as well. Those two alone cost me 10k a year. In the last year I've had another
5k in repairs. (oil cooler, radiator fan, and idrive).

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
He may be counting gas. Maybe he's counting insurance as well. Those two alone cost me 10k a year. In the last year I've had another
5k in repairs. (oil cooler, radiator fan, and idrive).
But gas and insurance are not "in-warranty/out-of-warranty" dependent, so I took it to mean the repair bills of a car out of warranty. He states "20k a year to run the car out of warranty"...rubbish. People's insurance premiums must be through the roof to have that partly cost 10k a year?? Mine costs $900/yr to insure.

There are also many factors to consider - for example, mine is out of warranty but has 16.5k miles on it. This will be drastically different than an out of warranty M5 with 60k on it. It was a poor blanket statement made by him, and not very objective due to his bad experiences, what with the 3 tranny's, 2 clutches, etc.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Dextor: $900! Nice. You must not have teenagers. And I do have to correct my number for insurance. We pay $6000 a year but that includes our suburu wagon, plus 2 kids. My other numbers stand though. You may be right that he is only talking about repairs. If so, that is very high and I feel bad for him.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just curious, but do a lot of these cars start falling apart after 60K miles? I hear so many horror stories about cost, which I understand is high, and knew that going in, but do a lot of people have a lot of repairs once you get past 60K? I have 80K on mine (mostly highway miles, but I'm sure it got 'used' at different times - why have one if you don't run it occasionally (or all the time)), but haven't had it that long, so don't know what I'll run into. I bought it for about 8K below book so I thought I would 'sock that away' for trouble. I'm also debating a warranty, but as most of you know, the higher the mileage, the more I'll pay for that, for a shorter 'period of coverage'. Plus, I've heard so many horror stories of people having warranties, and then items not being 'paid' when they broke, so sounded like throwing money away to me. I'm really struggling with whether or not to buy some sort of 2-year or 3-year warranty, just for the piece of mind. However, the car appears to be in very good shape. Just curious if a lot of people have had problems on these cars past 60K. Maybe most people don't go past 60K.

BTW, I live 2 blocks from work, so probably won't put more than 6K or so on the car each year....

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Dextor: $900! Nice. You must not have teenagers. And I do have to correct my number for insurance. We pay $6000 a year but that includes our suburu wagon, plus 2 kids. My other numbers stand though. You may be right that he is only talking about repairs. If so, that is very high and I feel bad for him.
No just me and my wife - yes the two kids are sending your premium through the roof. I can remember when I got my license that my parents policy went sky high as well. Just noticed your in CT too, who is your insurance company?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
125k and 84 months left on my warranty,i think ill be good for a while. I still cant belive people are buying these cars without one. There should be a law against that. Some dealers are good and insist that you get one for it othersdont care they just want to move the car.
I dont´have any warranty on my car, I love my car anyway and have no worries whatsoever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What? 125k...84 months? Someone offers that type of warranty? Must cost a fortune. I have never looked into aftermarket warranty so my questioning is somewhat ignorant(sorry). Mine runs out the end of the year, well before I hit 100k.
And, in response to original post, I have 60,000 and nothing that has gone wrong, has not been covered by BMW warranty. SMG pump, Vanos, Brakes. I am taking car in on Monday for: left shift paddle not working properly, trunk release button, bucking from stand still when cold. Hopefully, this will also all be covered. Also, you cannot drive this car balls to the wall all the time. SMG just can't take that type of abuse and that is the root of most of people's high dollar repairs. 2 clutches and 3 trannys= abusive use of LC or late symptoms of Down Syndrome.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You have had bad experiences so you're $20k # is relative to your saltiness. On average, it will NOT be even remotely close to 20k a year. Not even close to 10k a year. Stop scaring people.
I have had two M5 cars (both e60) and I was trying to tie Ashok for worst car in the world for a while. When I did some research on the amount of money people were spending on maintaining lambos and ferraris, I realized that I have got a deal.

20K does not include warranty or fuel man. I have had to replace transmission every 30-40K miles or thereabouts, so far under warranty but my warranty just expired (100K miles). I bought this car brand new and I intend to run it into ground. Heck my car is out at Dinan right now, going under the knife to get 5.8L stroker (and everything else with it). Again, I think that this car with maintenance and the additional money spent on add-ons is still cheaper than most other supercars, that's all. Nothing scary about that.

p.s. Clutch is between 3K and 4K in states. Transmission between 14K and 18K. And so on.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have had two M5 cars (both e60) and I was trying to tie Ashok for worst car in the world for a while. When I did some research on the amount of money people were spending on maintaining lambos and ferraris, I realized that I have got a deal.

20K does not include warranty or fuel man. I have had to replace transmission every 30-40K miles or thereabouts, so far under warranty but my warranty just expired (100K miles). I bought this car brand new and I intend to run it into ground. Heck my car is out at Dinan right now, going under the knife to get 5.8L stroker (and everything else with it). Again, I think that this car with maintenance and the additional money spent on add-ons is still cheaper than most other supercars, that's all. Nothing scary about that.

p.s. Clutch is between 3K and 4K in states. Transmission between 14K and 18K. And so on.

I am sorry to hear about your experiences - which while quite expensive and surely frustrating - I believe to be the exception to the rule. It's just when something breaks on these, it's is magnified x10 due to the cost. I do think that for a 500 hp sedan it is a reliable car. I am about to do the BMW Powertrain Plus warranty to cover my big ticket items (engine, trans, vanos) - SMG pump is not covered though :( . I will deal with other smaller things on an ad-hoc basis.

Shouldn't we all be working right now rather than enjoying the M5 boards???

·
Registered
983 Posts
We should be working, but how much fun is that. It's such a nice day here today, I'm thinking of bugging out early, since it's my birthday! :cool:

Reactions: Slippytoad

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
We should be working, but how much fun is that. It's such a nice day here today, I'm thinking of bugging out early, since it's my birthday! :cool:
I'm in New England and it is late February, 38 degrees and pooring rain. It is such a beautiful time to visit and live in this region.

·
Registered
983 Posts
It's about 72 and Sunny here! A little windy, but that won't affect my drive!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts