BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went with the entire family on board with lunch in the boot to visit my folks on their farm today. There are many tight and open smooth dirt corners and as I have rallied for 25 years I couldnt help myself!

The beast is a reveleation on dirt. It has sensational grip and its turn in on such big tyres is astonishing. 150KMH drifting......

My previous car (Ford Xr6Turbo) was undrivable on these roads. As a road car the M5 holds its self up against the best but I can say with total belief that with some mods it would make a sensational rally car.

I know to some this may be sacriligious but the true test of the handling of many cars is how they cope on dirt roads. The car will simply hold the slide exactly where you place it and thats rare in a non competition vehicle. I did not use DSC and used Sport only.

Gee my wife can really hang on................

The kids could stop laughing in the back!

Dallas

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same experience with my M5. It handles great on dirt roads. I have 20" wheels on it, however, on dry tarmack without pot holes it is simply fun to drive it. I drove about 300 km's on dirt roads this summer in Norway and it put a great smile on my face and kids.

TOM:viking:

M5DAL said:
I went with the entire family on board with lunch in the boot to visit my folks on their farm today. There are many tight and open smooth dirt corners and as I have rallied for 25 years I couldnt help myself!

The beast is a reveleation on dirt. It has sensational grip and its turn in on such big tyres is astonishing. 150KMH drifting......

My previous car (Ford Xr6Turbo) was undrivable on these roads. As a road car the M5 holds its self up against the best but I can say with total belief that with some mods it would make a sensational rally car.

I know to some this may be sacriligious but the true test of the handling of many cars is how they cope on dirt roads. The car will simply hold the slide exactly where you place it and thats rare in a non competition vehicle. I did not use DSC and used Sport only.

Dallas

·
Registered
400 Posts
One of the best dirt roads in the world for those with the Cajones to drive it is up Pikes Peak. Nope I dont have those kind of Cajones anymore, the 2000 foot vertical drops with no side rails just scares me too much. Beware, if your passenger has a weak heart, this is definetely not a road to go on. Some of you may have seen the Pikes Peak hill climb races on TV where the cars drift the corners. Audi does real well in this race. Dirt, gravel, dust, it has it all.

I havent been on that road in several years, but the last time I went on it they had a ranger check station you had to stop at going back down. They checked your brake temperatures and if they were too hot, you had to wait there until they cooled down, its that steep. I was younger then, and drove a 280Z, got a bit too cocky one time in a turn and that was it. I was shaking so bad the wife had to drive the rest of the way down.

Just watchig that race on TV makes me squirm in my chair anymore.

B

·
0 Posts
M5DAL said:

Dallas
Sounds like fun!

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Pete,

Yeah, Pikes peak is great, however, you don't have to worry about going off the mountain. Just remember, the fall won't hurt you, it's the **** stop at the bottom!

TOM:viking:

Pete said:
One of the best dirt roads in the world for those with the Cajones to drive it is up Pikes Peak. Nope I dont have those kind of Cajones anymore, the 2000 foot vertical drops with no side rails just scares me too much. Beware, if your passenger has a weak heart, this is definetely not a road to go on. Some of you may have seen the Pikes Peak hill climb races on TV where the cars drift the corners. Audi does real well in this race. Dirt, gravel, dust, it has it all.

I havent been on that road in several years, but the last time I went on it they had a ranger check station you had to stop at going back down. They checked your brake temperatures and if they were too hot, you had to wait there until they cooled down, its that steep. I was younger then, and drove a 280Z, got a bit too cocky one time in a turn and that was it. I was shaking so bad the wife had to drive the rest of the way down.

Just watchig that race on TV makes me squirm in my chair anymore.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Low traction conditions are really a test of a cars true handling ability, and that is an area that most BMW's shine. Cars with a lot of mechanical grip but poor poise falter on dirt, in rain and in snow, but a well balanced car can actually really come alive. My E39 in dirt and rain was a lot of fun.
:cheers:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I can't bring myself to take my M5 down a dirt road, I did have a little fun with a loaner 325 sport on a dirt road oe time though and it felt amazingly stable and went exactly where I wanted it to go.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drove all the way from Vale once to go up Pikes peak only to ge tthere at 4:45 and the ranger telling me coant go up as we would not get back in time for closure

bummer............
The Sat nav had me on a dirt road from Vale to Pikes, now that was good. Not so good was the lincoln town car renter. The brakes catch on fire far too easily......

i dont know whao buys these POS......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts