BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
This is my first post on this site. I am trying to track down six speed gearbox internals.
BMW will only sell complete boxes at £2500 each.
Anyone got any leads of how I just get the bits I need
Many Thanks

Wane

·
Registered
757 Posts
Wane Ramsay said:
Hi everyone
This is my first post on this site. I am trying to track down six speed gearbox internals.
BMW will only sell complete boxes at £2500 each.
Anyone got any leads of how I just get the bits I need
Many Thanks

Wane
Is that for a complete, new off the shelf number?

If so then, I'm a little surprised, seems quite cheap mmmmmm

Below is a link containing part number etc, might help...

here

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Wane,

It was good to meet you at Donington.

Good luck with the gearbox.

There is a chap who is well known in E30 M3 circles as being ace with gearboxes & diffs.

You might want to give him a call.

Rus 01833 621280

·
Registered
92 Posts
You should also try Neil Waterhouse at All Gears on 01909 478 581.

He did a top job rebuilding my box when 5th gear let go. Everyone else I spoke to (ML and the like), said is was impossible to repair as the parts were not available.

I have a feeling that Neil was in the process of making his own replacement 6-speed parts at the time (8 months ago).

Here is one of his articals on an E30 M3 Box.

Gearbox Rebuild Artical

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Wasn't there a topic on here a while ago that said that rebuilt gearboxes tend to last much less miles than a BMW replacement and hence end up costing more in the long run?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
phil.cavanagh said:
You should also try Neil Waterhouse at All Gears on 01909 478 581.

He did a top job rebuilding my box when 5th gear let go. Everyone else I spoke to (ML and the like), said is was impossible to repair as the parts were not available.

I have a feeling that Neil was in the process of making his own replacement 6-speed parts at the time (8 months ago).

Here is one of his articals on an E30 M3 Box.

Gearbox Rebuild Artical

Good Luck.
Hi Phil,
Tried Neil but the parts that i ordered from a third party was for a 5speed box.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kevinpayneuk said:
Hi Wane,

It was good to meet you at Donington.

Good luck with the gearbox.

There is a chap who is well known in E30 M3 circles as being ace with gearboxes & diffs.

You might want to give him a call.

Rus 01833 621280
Kevin, nice meeting you too mate.Thanks for the number,i'll try him tommorrow.
The local bmw parts department near me have two excellent guy's who loves a challenge like this,the latest is that the parts to rebuild the six speed gearbox are available.I'll keep the board informed of any progress.
My car came with a 5 speed box but i changed it to a 6speed.It does mean more cog swapping around town but the extra pace is well worth it(because i retained the original diff.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
Wasn't there a topic on here a while ago that said that rebuilt gearboxes tend to last much less miles than a BMW replacement and hence end up costing more in the long run?
Yes, the previous owner of my old 3.8 M5 had the gearbox rebuilt and it let go again about 8 months later....

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I'm sure Quaiffe can build supply some uprated internals - maybe even a 7-speed sequential (£9k or so)!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts