BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looked through all the stickies, but didn't see a thread for lubricants / oils.

I'd like to see what people are using out there. About to take my M in for service and didn't know if I should stick with the dealer and OEM fluids or an independent shop and consider aftermarket fluids.

As far as engine oil, I am going to stick with the good 'ole Castrol TWS 10/60 regardless where I'm going (unless this thread changes my mind)

How about SMG fluid change? Stick with OEM or?

And finally, rear diff, what would you guys suggest?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST FLUID CAPACITY FOR EACH!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I use
Engine, LM 10w60
Trans, Redline MTL (smg)
Diff, Redline 75w140 (the one with the friction modifier)
These lubricants meet or exceed oem specifications, been using them over 4 years and 15k miles with no issues.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Redline with Friction Modifier?

I use
Engine, LM 10w60
Trans, Redline MTL (smg)
Diff, Redline 75w140 (the one with the friction modifier)
These lubricants meet or exceed oem specifications, been using them over 4 years and 15k miles with no issues.
Link for the Redline with friction modifier please?
I used the regular Redline for the Diff and that cause diff noises. Went back to OEM and noises were cured.
For tranny the Redline MTL worked fine.
For engine, I am now using Mobil 1 0-40 European Formula. I've used TWS and LM 10w60. Can't really tell the difference. The car does like fresh oil though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Link for the Redline with friction modifier please?
I used the regular Redline for the Diff and that cause diff noises. Went back to OEM and noises were cured.
For tranny the Redline MTL worked fine.
For engine, I am now using Mobil 1 0-40 European Formula. I've used TWS and LM 10w60. Can't really tell the difference. The car does like fresh oil though.
Redline sells 2 75w140's one with friction modifier and one without. Make sure you get the one with it part 57914.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Darn, I wish I had tried that instead of the regular Redline

Redline sells 2 75w140's one with friction modifier and one without. Make sure you get the one with it part 57914.
So, you can confirm that using this does not cause the diff to make noise?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts