BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the current M5 owners. When you are driving the M5, does it feel like you are driving a sedan? Does the interior enclose you at all and make it feel like a coupe or does it feel like you are driving a 4 door sedan (which i know it is). Thanks for the input.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
It does shrink around you, but you still know its a 4000lb vehicle. Id say it feels about as coupe like as youll get in a sedan. Now Im moving this to the E39 forum.

·
Registered
184 Posts
From a sensory standpoint, I don't think it feels like a coupe, but for me it has less to do with the # of doors and more to do with the sense of space behind me. I can always sense that there's a large volume of space behind me (spacial acoustics perhaps), as opposed to how I feel sitting in, for example, a Jag or 911.

That being said, I think it feels much more enclosed (in a good way) than an RS6 or E55.

Redstradic said:
For the current M5 owners. When you are driving the M5, does it feel like you are driving a sedan? Does the interior enclose you at all and make it feel like a coupe or does it feel like you are driving a 4 door sedan (which i know it is). Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I really appreciate the "snug" feel of the E39 cockpit, but overall the car feels like a sedan, in a good way! I remember when I purchased my first E39 (a 528 5-speed) in 1998. I had recently returned from a 2 week trip to Europe, where I had driven a Audi A6 with a manual 5-speed transmission. Determined to get the car, I was disappointed when I found out I could not buy a manual A6 in the US (this later changed with the 2.7T model).

My wife suggested that we test drive a BMW, and when I first entered the cockpit I loved the enclosed feeling, different from any other sedan I had been in.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, your question triggered a pleasant memory!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The E39 chassis definitely has a snug feel, driving my mom's 530i almost convinced me an M5 would be too small on me. I think heavier folks might find the seats and shoulder room a bit tight. I'd say its at best a medium sized sedan. For a sports sedan with luxury options I think its about as small as you could go in a sedan. I don't think BMW would make a 7 series M7 cause that big can't handle like a sports car. All M cars must be trackable, i think...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Definitely still a sedan, but cozier than even my previous car - an E39 530i. I think that the alcantara headliner has a lot to do with giving it more of a closed in feel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The M5 feels like a sedan to me, of course, coming from a WRX sedan my idea of sedan might be a little skewed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For me it is more like a coupe, my daily driver is a Ford F-150 4X4, lots of room and you sit up high. When I get in the M5 it feels like a cocoon in a good way. After driving it, my truck feels like its moving in slow motion.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
The M5 is my first sedan after having come from trucks, SUV's, sports cars, and coupes. I thought it would feel a bit odd for me prior to taking delivery but those thoughts quickly evaporated the minute I got behind the wheel for the first time. The E39 platform works really well in making me feel like it's a smaller car than it really is. Not necessarily to the point where it feels like a coupe but to the point where it doesn't feel like a 4 door sedan. It's VERY rare for me to have people actually sit in the back which probably adds to that "illusion" for me.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
This will be a little OT, but as Ive thought about it, you know I feel like my M5 is like a fine business suit- it feels just right in all respects- to touch, to "wear", I look sharp in it, etc. This will largely depend on the color combination in terms of does it feel like a suit- but its how I think of my M5.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It truly is difficult to describe the feelings that the car gives you. And this is why we drive these cars!

As to the question, I think it is the closest feel to a coupe that you can have in a sedan. I don't feel cramped in it, and I can fit the family in it. Yet I can toss it around without getting bit, like a sporty coupe.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Definitely a sedan. You sit upright and higher off the ground and though the cabin does have a driver-centric cockpit feel, you are aware that it's different from a 911 (my previous car).

But I wouldn't hold any of that against it, though. It just feels wonderful, like the very best luxury sedans do. Except this one has the performance and road feel, too.

Also, it's heavy. I'm constantly aware of the mass.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I guess it depends on your point of reference. Compared to any other sedan I have been in the M5 feels and drives much sportier. The cockpit is pure BMW which means driver oriented.

If you are coming from a sports car you might need a little time to adjust to the mass of the M5. I went from an E36 M3 to the M5 and it took me a little while to get used to the higher driving position, greater mass, and the increased power. It is not as nimble as its little brothers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It feels like a refined sedan, so much nicer and more pleasant to drive than 330 sedan I had before. The 330 had a sport package and it was more bouncy on the road, you felt every imperfection, whereas M5 seems to have perfect balance between harshness, comfort and stability.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts