BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My M5 2012 has 69000km (42000miles), when it reaches 150-160km/h my steering wheel starts shaking like you would have unbalanced wheels.
It did the same with OEM 19" wheels and also with 20" wheels. When shaking appears and i hit the brakes it gets worse. But if i hit the brakes in 170km/h it doesnt shake at all. I checked brakes, wheels, tyres, armbushings.
Usually if it is unbalanced you would feel it at speed around 90-120km/h but this problem is really making me angry grrrrrrr

Thanks

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
do an alignment and balance the wheels, maybe you have a bent wheel

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Get the balance checked again. I had similar issues and then found the tyre balance was 25g out. Maybe a weight fell off?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Get a full laser geometry check.

You're car has covered some ground so worth doing regardless of a wheel wobble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wheels

What I can add to it this.
It seems to me that either one of the tires is out of round ( tire is a not V , Y , Z rated ). With more speed the tire will get diffracted and get out of round, that is only if the speed rating will be S, T , H.
Bent rim will do the same even small bent will magnify the effect to a point of huge vibration ( tire will help to add to the effect )
If the car has this many kilometers if would be wise to check if the seat of the hub, and the rim surface are clean ( where they meet )
You can only balance the wheels where the rim is super clean, otherwise it is NOT balanced at all.
Last thing is the rims, are these original wheels or aftermarket, unless it is a BBS quality wheel I have had issues with proper fitment.
Wheels these days are made everywhere and in many cases the quality is not there.
What make me the expert, well I own a tire store, and I have seen my share or issues like that.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires on my car (brand new), wheels new M6 OEM but it was shaking with the OEM 19" wheels with the Michelin tires on as well... It really bugs me this problem ouich

What I can add to it this.
It seems to me that either one of the tires is out of round ( tire is a not V , Y , Z rated ). With more speed the tire will get diffracted and get out of round, that is only if the speed rating will be S, T , H.
Bent rim will do the same even small bent will magnify the effect to a point of huge vibration ( tire will help to add to the effect )
If the car has this many kilometers if would be wise to check if the seat of the hub, and the rim surface are clean ( where they meet )
You can only balance the wheels where the rim is super clean, otherwise it is NOT balanced at all.
Last thing is the rims, are these original wheels or aftermarket, unless it is a BBS quality wheel I have had issues with proper fitment.
Wheels these days are made everywhere and in many cases the quality is not there.
What make me the expert, well I own a tire store, and I have seen my share or issues like that.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires on my car (brand new), wheels new M6 OEM but it was shaking with the OEM 19" wheels with the Michelin tires on as well... It really bugs me this problem ouich
Heard about this issue before
but I believe tires may have to do with it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But same problem with OEM wheels and Michelin :confused3
I will test a wheel alignment se what it says. Is the 3D system the best possible?

·
Registered
3 Posts
balance

OK if you have original wheels, and there is no bends ( worps ) in the wheel at all, then I would say that check the balance in a different shop, not all tire balancers are the equal. And if this does not help then tires are your problem ( does not matter if they were new or not ).
Hope that helps you in some way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has the cause for the wheel wobble been found? My 2012 M5 on 20" wheels has a steering wheel wobble that starts at around 90mph to 98mph then goes away above or below, the dealer I brought the car from are having it in to try and find the cause so any more info would be great so they dont have my car for to long.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Has the cause for the wheel wobble been found? My 2012 M5 on 20" wheels has a steering wheel wobble that starts at around 90mph to 98mph then goes away above or below, the dealer I brought the car from are having it in to try and find the cause so any more info would be great so they dont have my car for to long.
Have you had the turbos fitted then?.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not yet as posted today the turbos are expected in germany tomorrow then as soon as its back to me ( hopefully next week? )its going back upto Harogate to have the wheel wobble investigated!! its been back to them once before the turbo failure for the wheel wobble and a new front tyre was fitted and wheels balanced but this didnt sort the problem, As you can imagine Im pretty keen to get the wobble sorted quickly as ive forgotten what the bl**dy car looks like. in the last 19 years Ive had 18 different BMW's and to date this is the first one I wish i'd never brought!! Fingers crossed the shear power of the M5 will change back my current feelings toward the car once I've got it back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for a very late answer, but i took off all of my brakediscs and cleaned the surface with a electrical steelbrush, did the same on the discs for the wheel. Pumped my tires up to 3.4 Bar and then the problem was gone... But i think the problem was between the disc and wheelbearing cus when i spun the disc i could feel it gripping in some places on the disc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts