BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not as well informed about E39 M5's as I should be at the moment, but I need to find an Alpine example by May.

What is your opinion - in terms of price, mileage, etc - on this one for sale?

http://www.motorsportslimited.com/showroom/WBSDE9349YBZ96395

Are there any specific issues I should be aware of? (I'm aware of the pixel issue of the instrument cluster.)

Is there any reason why I should NOT consider a 2000 model?

I know Alpine E39 M5's are quite rare and this one also has a black 'sport' interior, which I'm specifically looking for. Mileage is low, carfax is clean and it's in great cosmetic shape. It's only 2 hours away, which is very convenient since I can drive down and view it personally. Finding an Alpine M5 in Vancouver, BC is practically impossible and even one did pop up, it would fetch a premium (in addition to the significantly higher price for a M5 in Canada vs the US).

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
IMHO I think it is a bit high for a MY00 for the following reasons:
1st: It is a MY00..therefore no Angel Eyes, Clear Markers, Diff. Steering Wheel and NAVI...all things that many MY00 Owners have changed.
2nd: The Market right now is a buyers market....granted there is alot of crap out there...there are some good cars.
3rd. Your buying a car that is soon to be 9 model years old...when you can get an 01/02 with similar miles for similar $$$.

The only thing nice here is that it is AW...yes they are not common....even less common w/Caramel interior...
If the car is 100% fine mechanically & cosemetically...then it comes down to taste.
Good Luck
S

·
Registered
189 Posts
IMHO I think it is a bit high for a MY00 for the following reasons:
1st: It is a MY00..therefore no Angel Eyes, Clear Markers, Diff. Steering Wheel and NAVI...all things that many MY00 Owners have changed.
2nd: The Market right now is a buyers market....granted there is alot of crap out there...there are some good cars.
3rd. Your buying a car that is soon to be 9 model years old...when you can get an 01/02 with similar miles for similar $$$.

The only thing nice here is that it is AW...yes they are not common....even less common w/Caramel interior...
If the car is 100% fine mechanically & cosemetically...then it comes down to taste.
Good Luck
S
You raise some good points. But how much do you think that particular car should be worth?

Rob

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
On Autotrader there is an 03 M5 w/25k on the odo and asking price is 38k....
your looking at a 00 M5 w/similar miles...for almost 32k...
look I'm not saying dont buy it....you do what your comfortable with both monetarily as well as conscience....if you intend on keeping the car as is....good deal...if you plan on upgrading all the things I mentioned before...:3:....then maybe I look a little more.
Good Luck
S

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
You raise some good points. But how much do you think that particular car should be worth?

Rob
Dont get pissed....but it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it!!.
Sounds like a wise *** answer but it is not....I would not pay anything around 30k for a MY00 car period.
S

·
Registered
167 Posts
The asking price really isn't that high. In this area NADA retail shows 31.1K. So while slightly high, it isn't unrealistic to pull them down a few grand. Last year i got my black 00 with 53k miles for $27,000.

Call em, talk to em, negotiate. The car looks clean from what i can see in the pictures. If it's been well cared for there, there is piece of mind.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dont get pissed....but it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it!!.
Sounds like a wise *** answer but it is not....I would not pay anything around 30k for a MY00 car period.
S
Not at all, I am just asking because I am looking to buy an 00 myself. It has 34K miles on it , black on black babied, for 27K. I just want to know if I would be paying too much or if its a good deal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If the car is in good condition it is probably worth around $26,000 +/- a couple of thousand dollars. If it is exactly what you want, in really nice condition, and close to you, then add a couple of thousand more. You will be able to buy this car for under $30,000 considering the asking price, the market, and the time of year.

I would have trouble paying more than $27,000 even if everything is in good order, but if it is exactly what you want then ......

Good luck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am looking to buy an 00 myself. It has 34K miles on it , black on black babied, for 27K. I just want to know if I would be paying too much or if its a good deal.
If this is the car you want you are probably paying a reasonable price. You might be able to get a better deal if you keep looking, but if you know this car, and it is what you want, then this looks good to me.

It appears that the 2000 MY is selling anywhere in the $20k's. A beat example can drop into the teens, and a truly exceptional example can approach $30k. I think it is very difficult to sell a 2000 MY for over $30k anymore - but that doesn't mean that people won't ask that much for their cars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So you find one for sale in a place that's not nearby, then what? You pay at least $500 for airfare and arrange your alternative transportation or you pay at least $100 for a PPI, but you still haven't seen her yourself.

Then you pay $1,500 for enclosed transport (or much more depending on the distance and whether the Barret Jackson auctions are going on. If they are, you wait another three weeks for a transporter to become available. I've been there and done that with other cars.

Or, you pay a "bit" more than market for what you want, after you check her out yourself, and then you are done and smiling! If you can afford this car, you should be able to live with paying a couple grand above what someone else calls "market". Heck, a brake job alone will set you back that much!

Bottom line: if you can afford it and like it, go for it. It's not an investment anyway. It will depreciate. If you want an investment, look for prancing horses.

My $0.02 as a recent M5 buyer who followed my own advice. YMMV.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
So you find one for sale in a place that's not nearby, then what? You pay at least $500 for airfare and arrange your alternative transportation or you pay at least $100 for a PPI, but you still haven't seen her yourself.

Then you pay $1,500 for enclosed transport (or much more depending on the distance and whether the Barret Jackson auctions are going on. If they are, you wait another three weeks for a transporter to become available. I've been there and done that with other cars.

Or, you pay a "bit" more than market for what you want, after you check her out yourself, and then you are done and smiling! If you can afford this car, you should be able to live with paying a couple grand above what someone else calls "market". Heck, a brake job alone will set you back that much!

Bottom line: if you can afford it and like it, go for it. It's not an investment anyway. It will depreciate. If you want an investment, look for prancing horses.

Well said.....at the end of the day you need to be happy with your purchase.
I was merely answering his original post....I would not spend 30k for a MY00 M5...period....south of 30k and that is different.
As far as your prancing horse comment...even those have taken a hit....you can get a nice clean 360F1 for 150/160k....even F430's...only the real exotic F-Cars like Enzo's F40's, F50's....have held true...but even that is cyclical.
Good Luck
S

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

Glenn, I like your thinking. Been there done that. Never loose the "right car" because somebody says market pricing. Do your homework, there is always a premium for the right one. cherrsagai

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just bought my Alpine White MY '00 85k miles, very little in the way of upgrades (need to do Nav, did steering wheel, etc) in good mechanical shape and taken care of by dealers its whole life.

25k ex taxes. and I will have put 15k more into it by the mid March. That was the deal with me, by an 03 for bigger $$$$ or an 00 in need of love but I get to build it my way.

Hope this helps.

-Kmac

·
Registered
155 Posts

This is great advice, and the logic I used when I purchased my car. I got the color combo I wanted, an hour from home, for a price I was comfortable paying. I am happy as can be with my decision!!! :M5rev::M5launch:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts