BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
No M5 has ever been an EVO - just nonsense.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi guys. Keep cool. :eek: I have still to read the article.:confused:
However, it seems to be true and correct that the E34 M5 3.8 6-speed apparently was introduced to the French market
as the E34 M5 3.8 Evolution. This is merely a 'marketing' issue and NOT a model name.
-
However, as a consequence the 3.8 6-speed M5 was ever since and apparently still (in France, in sales ads and
newspaper articles ) being referred to as the E34 M5 Evolution.
-
Now I have 'read' the article but my french is not really up to standards.
Publication date 15/02/2015 (?) and apparently a result of poor research.
Anyway, I will now send the article/link to a French, "Evolution"-owner and ask for this comments.
-
As always I am curious about the VIN of the car shown on the pictures used for this article. :)
"Licht an" (?) Apparantly the pictures of the car in the article are from a 'German market car'.
-
According to my records (not confirmed by any official BMW source but by the BMW Club of France (!)
which also matches with the official vehicle-specification sheets with only 2 tourings being specified as 'French-market-version' cars,
option/country code 813):
There were only 2 M5 E34 Touring Evo sold as "brand new car" in France

·
Registered
332 Posts
Unless any official BMW documentation can be found I strongly suspect it is artistic license of the author/s of any written articles.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yes Sir, agreed.:)
When I said, 'introduced to the market' I meant car-magazins and journalists (in France) at the time, which was later picked up by the public.
BMW AG/M-GmbH not being involved *). We might still get an input from someone in France who perhaps is more familiar with the issue.:typing:
-
The car used in the referred to article is very likely -879- (to be confirmed)
BMW M Registry - Car Detail
-
*) the accepted (?) E34 M5touring 'ELEKTA' (Italy) was also 'created' without the involvement of BMW AG/M-GmbH by a (then)
independent group of BMW-car-dealers in Italy. Thus no official BMW documentation. (although a small sales broschure is said
to have been produced by the group of dealers, if anyone is holding a copy, let me know :typing:)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
A friendly soul has now provided me with a translation of the 'Evo' article into English. (THANK YOU, FRED.:typing::)
-
The article was apparantly created in co-operation with the present owner of the car (congratulations Herve !)
The comment on the 'Evo' issue is:
"Evo" or ("Evolution"), even if it is not an official name for the *E34 M5 3.8 6-speed*, it is the name under
which it is known in France, even in BMW garages.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The referred to article which started up this thread seems to assume that the entire E34 M5 3.8-series cars are to be understood
-and nicknamed- as being the E34 M5 'EVO', whereas in my opinion (supported by others) the 'EVO' addition (nick name) applies for the
-- 6-speed, model year 1995, face-lift, up-grade-cars - only.---
-
QUOTE:
My third Touring, an EVO, at last.
My third Touring, an Evo, at last! « Supersaloons
UNQUOTE:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I fully agree with Karl.
the last 6 speed gearbox are "EVO" nicknamed version in France.
like for the sedan the 209 touring are also touring EVO.

I confirm that Hervé car is BL01879.
article is really nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts