BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We own a 2007 M5, bought it new from dealer in 2007. Our plan is to keep the car indefinitely (we are the type that rarely buy a new car). The car has about 42K miles on it right now. The BMW maintenance/repair/BMW Assist warranties are up in two weeks. We did buy an extended warranty from our credit union when we financed the car originally. That warranty will carry the car to 7 years/100K miles for repairs, but not maintenance.

We are trying to decide about buying BMW's extended maintenance warranty ($3500) to extend that for 2 yrs/100K miles. BMW is also asking if we want to extend the Assist Safety Plan ($199/yr). We love the car but the economy has hit us hard and we are trying to afford to keep this car as economically as possible.

We know repairs and maintenance on this car is a bear, even for someone like us who have traditionally done our own light maintenance stuff on our normal driver cars over the years. However, are we better off sucking it up and going with BMW's extended maintenance? Will it pay for itself? BMW tells us that the brakes are due at 65K and that alone will practically pay for it.

There's a trusted repair shop in our area that we've heard about who works on BMW's and other imports. We're not sure of his prices and if he can handle the M5. We're told that even at the BMW dealer, the mechanics who work on the M5's are specially trained and certified. Should we trust outside BMW repair shop technicians with this car??? We suspect dealer prices are always higher but am I putting the car in good hands? Will we do better on the outside? Or given that this is an M5 is it such a specialized breed that only should be maintained by a BMW dealer? When this car reaches 2 years/100K we will be forced into the outside world and have to make the decision of using the "dealer vs a repair shop" decision.

And, is that BMW Assist thing worth the money? I think we used it twice in four years. We do belong to the Auto Club (AAA), will that suffice?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
AAA will more than suffice IMO. Don't pay $200 for a push button.

As far as the maintenance warranty, I think its great if you plan on putting more miles on your car. At the rate you are accumulating miles, I wouldn't really buy it. You're only going to get maybe the brakes and prob the next spark plug change and possibly 2 oil changes in. When ppl say it pays for itself, they mean at dealer rates. Which essentially is just like pre-paying them. To me, thats a loss. If you drove it more, then maybe you know you will hit those mileage levels where it would cause the CBS system to indicate more frequent maintenance. Otherwise, find yourself a good Indy mech and have them do the work. If you're not adverse to driving to the Corona area, my buddy is a BMW tech and takes care of all my cars. The brake job should not cost you more than $1200 parts and labor. Only the dealer has the gall to charge $2500 for it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
you know probably a lot of people are going through the same thing and i just took my car in the dealership for a minor service and they also tried selling me a extended warranty but the adviser told me if i don't put any miles on the car than its prob not worth the extended warranty bull crap.... and its true because i rarely hardly ever put miles on the car but if you know someone outside bmw tech's than go for it but i wouldn't let any mom and pop shop do work on the car just because you don't know what your getting with it.

best luck out to you!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
here is a proof positive example. I have an 04 4.8is and the maintenance warranty will expire next month. I only have 90k on the car. All I could get right now is just the inspection I service done (oil, filters, cabin filter, and thats it). The big stuff like spark plugs, tranny fluid, and front brakes aren't due until 99k miles. What are the chances of timing it just right to hit that mileage before your warranty expires? Especially if you don't drive the car as much. So even though its been nice to have, it would have been money well spent elsewhere IMO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Another discussion for same topic -- varying opinions, worthwhile to have look. In my view, key criteria is whether brake service has already been done or not; at dealer, cost approaches $3k+ so extended plan almost pays for itself with brakes alone (unless you have good local shop that you trust, and their price is significantly better).

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...0526-m5-100k-maintenance-schedule-3500-a.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TO: JT///M5
Thank you for responding to my post today. I take it that most of my remaining maintenance items between now (45K miles) and 2 years (100K miles) will be brakes and oil changes. If you have a good mechanic who knows the M5's for maintenance, Corona isn't too bad a drive. Can you email me the particulars if you don't mind? [email protected]
Jeff

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Between now and 80K (probably 4 years based on your yearly mileage), you will need (in dealer rates);

1. Spark Plugs (dealer is anywhere from 500-800) - I did mine for just the cost of plugs, so this is sort of doable
2. Oil Changes (at least 4 @ $220 per)
3. A clutch ($2200)
4. Brakes ($2200)

Anything SMG or requiring any re-flash HAS to go to the dealer. I'd get the some sort of warranty. I opted for EasyCare
and they are good (just had to replace my rear main seal which involved removing the transmission and they covered it).
I didn't go with the maintenance plan since I would do most myself - I slipped in a new clutch while the tranny was out for
the seal, so that is now covered.

I have done the plugs and they are a pain, but doable. Brakes may be easier... if you don't drive hard just replace the pads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just purchased the extend warranty. Which I already had enough claims to pay for it self. Like you don't put that many miles on the car maintenance warranty is a waste of money. I just had them replace the brakes before my warranty ran out. From here on the only thing major I would have to do is spark plugs, which is mighty easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the same boat...

We own a 2007 M5, bought it new from dealer in 2007. Our plan is to keep the car indefinitely (we are the type that rarely buy a new car). The car has about 42K miles on it right now. The BMW maintenance/repair/BMW Assist warranties are up in two weeks. We did buy an extended warranty from our credit union when we financed the car originally. That warranty will carry the car to 7 years/100K miles for repairs, but not maintenance.

We are trying to decide about buying BMW's extended maintenance warranty ($3500) to extend that for 2 yrs/100K miles. BMW is also asking if we want to extend the Assist Safety Plan ($199/yr). We love the car but the economy has hit us hard and we are trying to afford to keep this car as economically as possible.

We know repairs and maintenance on this car is a bear, even for someone like us who have traditionally done our own light maintenance stuff on our normal driver cars over the years. However, are we better off sucking it up and going with BMW's extended maintenance? Will it pay for itself? BMW tells us that the brakes are due at 65K and that alone will practically pay for it.

There's a trusted repair shop in our area that we've heard about who works on BMW's and other imports. We're not sure of his prices and if he can handle the M5. We're told that even at the BMW dealer, the mechanics who work on the M5's are specially trained and certified. Should we trust outside BMW repair shop technicians with this car??? We suspect dealer prices are always higher but am I putting the car in good hands? Will we do better on the outside? Or given that this is an M5 is it such a specialized breed that only should be maintained by a BMW dealer? When this car reaches 2 years/100K we will be forced into the outside world and have to make the decision of using the "dealer vs a repair shop" decision.

And, is that BMW Assist thing worth the money? I think we used it twice in four years. We do belong to the Auto Club (AAA), will that suffice?
Wow. Your situation mirrors mine. I have an 2007 M5 and I have around 44K miles. My extended maintenance ends this Sunday. I bought an extended warranty from the dealer a few months back that covers me to up to 80K total miles and 3 more years. (I went with less miles and more years since I have another car that I use as a daily driver). I'm trying to decide on whether to get the extended maintenance and I have a few days to pull the trigger (already negotiated the price with the dealership --$3200). I also have AAA (I got for my other car) so I will probably pass on the BMW Assist Renewal since I have also used it maybe twice in 2 years.

Here's my situation. The last two years I have only put 12K miles on the car total and I checked my service indicators in iDrive. Here are the items and when service is due.

Microfilter -- 1300 miles
Oil change -- 10000 miles
Rear brakes -- 18000 miles
Front brakes -- 21000 miles
Spark plugs -- 27000 miles
Vehicle check -- 30000 miles

The car has never had it's clutch replaced and it's an SMG.

Clearly if I drive at the same rate, the extended warranty is not worth it. The two years will run out before I get to the most costly items (the brakes etc). Of course, I can also drive the M5 more vs. my daily driver (or sell the daily driver) since b/t both cars I drive about 15K miles per year. If I did that I should get all the brakes and the spark plugs covered.

The big wildcard is the clutch. If I just drive the beast more than I do now then the extended maintenance is probably worth it for peace of mind. Of course my fuel cost will double for two years (probably another or about $6,000 more in gas over the two years than I would normally spend, additional depreciation of the M5 but I would have the fun of driving it more...)

Given the above, I'm right at 50/50 with pulling the trigger on the extended maintenance plan.

Other opinions welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for their input. ed94582 not only has the same year and color M5 as me but also the same predicament. Thank you for your post. Maybe what I'm about to say below will help you make your decision.

I couldn't decide, so I went to a local BMW repair shop I was referred to by another M5 driver. I wanted to see the setup and meet the owner. He has a very clean, professional shop. He's been in business for 30 years, works mainly on BMW's and Mercedes. He used to be a mechanic at several of the big BMW's dealers locally before going on his own. He has a strong German accent. I was impressed with his knowledge of the M5. All his mechanics are all experienced and trained on the M5's. His credentials are posted on the wall when you walk in. He said many of the techs at BMW are trainees or rookies and are not familiar with many of the electronics for the M5's and they are often assigned to work on the M5's to keep the cars moving. That point he made reminded me about the times when I dropped off my M5 for some specific issues during it's warranty period. I was not satisfied with my service and wanted it checked out again. He finally admitted that the "one tech" who's trained to work on the M5's will be in next week, and he made an appointment for me to bring the car back. I knew then that most of the mechanics at the dealers are not specially trained for the M5.

Back to my local BMW shop. I shared with him that I was at a crossroads with the BMW Extended Maintenance purchase. The owner there gave me the straight scoop on everything from oil usage to what wear and tear he's seen, and all the maintenance to be done. His prices for maintenance and repairs were at least 30% less than the dealer. He said that before BMW offered the free maintenance plans when buying the car new, the required maintenance was more often. Customers paid for that, so BMW was making money. Once they offered the free maintenance for the first 4 years/50K miles they reduced the frequency of maintenance to save costs. They stretched out the maintenance intentionally. All they care about is getting the customers past the first 50-100K miles without any major breakdowns. The cars are engineered to get past BMW's maintenance and repair warranty periods on their stretched out maintenance program at minimal cost to them without major problems, beyond that they could care less. BMW then wants customer pick up the tab when the repairs start.

He said abusive drivers usually drive their cars hard and sell their cars by the time the maintenance agreements for BMW run out. They wont spend a dime on the car themselves because they know they won't keep it. The guy who buys the car thinks it was well maintained by BMW all that time, when it was done on BMW's "stretched out" maintenance program. The new buyer then takes over the maintenance and repairs. Then, the repairs start to mount because he's driving it into the post 100K miles period. Now, he's a regular BMW repair customer but this time he's paying.

If you are that kind of driver, then the BMW Extended Maintenance Program is what you want. If you want to keep the car forever, then find a good mechanic who knows M5's and lock into a bit tighter maintenance schedule with him. I already added up the future maintenance I need for my M5 over the life of the Extended Maintenance and I can get better and more frequent care (and honest service) for price of the $3500 ticket BMW wants at my local mechanic.

My wife and I love our M5. We bought it with the expectation to keep it indefinitely. Talking to the local mechanic made me realize that I can get more maintenance for the dollar. That is better in the long run. It is also better in case I ever have to sell it. The buyer can then talk to my local mechanic about the car. The shop takes on a personal relationship regarding the car. I never really felt that with the BMW service centers.

My final decision is: I am NOT going with the BMW Extended Maintenance, OR the BMW Assist (since I have AAA).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks

Thanks again for your reply. You got me leaning towards finding a good independent BMW Shop.

Per chance, can anyone recommend one in the SF Bay Area -- Specifically the San Ramon/Pleasanton/Danville/Dublin area?

I've heard some good things about Edge Motorworks.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.