BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, spring/summer is coming up, I'm planning a trip to Nürburgring this summer with my "future m5 e60". To be honest I never had much interest in the e60 since I've always been in love with my e39 m5. But now that I sold that one I'm very keen on an E60. So my question is basically What year is the best, im sure the 2009-2010 is the best ones, but I wanna save some money and try to get a 2007-2008 . Should I watch out for older models? the 2006 for instance?

what are the pro's and cons, what does usually go wrong with these cars etc? can someone fill me up with some info on a good year/model that i should look for and what i should look out for etc...
I'd very much appreciate it.
and also, come with common advice for preparations for nurburgring with the e60 m5, and good care advice after a lap..

peace

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. But from what I've gathered, need to watch out for SMG issues in earlier year cars. I guess the SMG issue goes throughout the years, just the unit wear. Also in 2008, they have the LCI with updated headlight, taillight, interior, misc. Would be nice to have pictures of the differences between the pre-LCI and LCI models.

Besides that, I think the E60 M5's are fairly similiar. Couple tech's told me, if can find a manual, would reduce the E60 M5 as one of the top ///M cars for the amount of know issues. Not the best ///M car, but definitely not too shaby. Of course I'm interested in the SMG so that the wife can drive it on occasion. Please post up any more SMG knowledge.

Basically it breaks down to pre-LCI and LCI E60 M5's.

Definitely love to hear what others have to say on the matter.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
best as in value? or just best all around for any price? LCI updated cars are definitely better looking inside and out, so 08+ for that. MY 2008+ cars seem to have "less" SMG issues as the pumps were updated and the throwout bearings started to get greased. that being said, 2010 cars have the newest CIC navigation and stereo systems so they are truly the best IMO. However, if you want an M5 on a budget, then 2006-7 are definitely better on the wallet. Otherwise, avoid the 6spd ones unless you really need to row your own boat. It was not designed for the V10 and will overheat if you drive it like it was meant to be driven.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It comes to bugget, the early cars by nature of mileage covered and age will stand the most chance of having problems but to be honest these are few and far between and I would say nearly all the problems the first cars had have been resolved through recalls, warranty work, service upgrades and software updates. These cars are very reliable.

I'd say make a list of the toys you want on the car like HUD,SMG,Active seats, soft close doors, rear blinds, heated seats etc, then chose a colour for the paint and interior plus what type of dash capings and then find the car, if the price and mileage is right and it checks out to be a good one on inspection with the correct service history buy it and make the year a secondary consideration. These cars aren't very common and getting all the bits you want and colour could be a much harder task and selecting a build date just makes it near impossible...

They haven't changed much over the years and all drive the same so you have to make up your mind if you want a button on the dash to start it and the LCI lights or not. (you can always up grade the lights if you wanted to!).

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Jay's got good advice. And its true, the E60 M5 is actually very reliable. My buddy who's a BMW Tech says the SMG issue is really far and few between. Its just when it happened to someone who paid 100k+, they tend to make a little more noise about it. The N62 fuel pump issue is more prevalent than any issue the E60 M5 ever had.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you everyone for your answers... well i'll have to make a list, and can i ask what is LCI update as you guys mentioned?
and please keep on coming with the advice, and also what are good things to prepare the car if i wanna drive it on the nurburgring?

i know for instance f1 cars have a lot of cool-down step by steps to do after a race in order for the car to feel good, does the m5 e60 have such a thing? maybe its a stupid question to some but im sure there are a few things u can do after a race on the ring that would preserve life on the car:)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
thank you everyone for your answers... well i'll have to make a list, and can i ask what is LCI update as you guys mentioned?
and please keep on coming with the advice, and also what are good things to prepare the car if i wanna drive it on the nurburgring?

i know for instance f1 cars have a lot of cool-down step by steps to do after a race in order for the car to feel good, does the m5 e60 have such a thing? maybe its a stupid question to some but im sure there are a few things u can do after a race on the ring that would preserve life on the car:)
If you're going to track the car I would make a track checklist. You need to make sure fluids, brakes, and tires are all good to go. The cool down lap is basically to allow the brakes to cool down.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If i should go for a 2005/2006 is the same transmisssion? meaning the SMGIII ? and again is there anything i should watch out for with this year/model ?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Same SMG III gearbox through the years. Software changes but is updated-able through your dealer.

LCI is the LED rear lights and HID high and low beam head lights instead of HID low beam and hologen main beam on the earlier cars, it can be upgraded (search on here).

No cool down laps or anything like that. Its a heavy car so at the ring tyres and brakes are going to get punished. Keep a good eye on them! I'd replace the pads with BMW's/Pagid's uprated items as used on the ring taxi's again search on here. Fresh brake fluid is a must also and upto date servicing (i'd change the oil more often than the car asks like every 6-8k specially if you are tracking the car!

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
SMG is the same in all years of E60 M5 production, but some people say there is a noticeable difference in transmission smoothness in newer models (I've only extensively driven 2006 and 2007 models so I really can't comment much on this). As far as pure value, I'd say the best way to go is a late build date 2006 model. These cars most likely have most of the early issues worked out and they can be bought at fantastic prices.

However, if you want the best compromise between price, reliability, and updated design, I would go with a 2008. It has all of the cosmetic updates as the 2010 models except for the new idrive and larger side-view mirrors (mid-way through 2008 they redesigned the headrests, but that shouldn't matter too much to you). Also, the 2008 models seem to have very reliable SMG transmissions, and have experienced far more depreciation than 2009 and 2010 models. Most are listed in the high 40s to mid 50k range.

In short, best deal for a pretty reliable M5=late 2006 model
Best overall combination of good price, new features, and reliability=2008 model

Good luck with your search.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The best is always the very last in it´s production, meaning that the 2010 M5 is the best one.
of course ;) but not necessarily for the price, unless your referring to maybe a couple years down the line from now.

I would say a 2007 would be best sweet spot price if you dont mind the older headlight/taillight/interior
2008 would be sweet spot if you want those updates

If $$ was no concern, the 2010 ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
2008 is when they got the new iDrive system, slight interior redesign and the SMG kinks we worked out.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Best advice I can give you regardless of year is get an extended warranty. In order to this you must purchase one with less than 42,500 miles for a BMW CPO warranty, or just before the current OEM 4yr/50K mile warranty expires for a non-BMW warranty. I got mine from the BMW dealer but it's the Wells Fargo warranty which the M tech at the dealer said has had better coverage than the CPO from BMW, but just make sure you’re covered. Repairs on M cars are very very high. <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
of course ;) but not necessarily for the price, unless your referring to maybe a couple years down the line from now.

I would say a 2007 would be best sweet spot price if you dont mind the older headlight/taillight/interior
2008 would be sweet spot if you want those updates

If $$ was no concern, the 2010 ;)
Keep in mind that 2007 in Europe has the facelift :)

I don't believe this is accurate information. New Idrive was 2010 (possibly 2009). Can an owner of either confirm?

I´m no owner of an 2009 or 2010 but I can confirm that that´s correct, new iDrive came 2009.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
There were multiple updates to the iDrive.

The first was the newer style "knob" that had shortcut buttons and what not.

Then there was going to a hard drive based with an HD screen.

I believe for US models the 2010 is the only one to have the new iDrive internals.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i believe i will go with a late 2005 or a 2006. because higher than that the price goes up way too much... now as far as exterior i dont think i will care much but interior wise what will i miss out on a 2005/2006 that a 2008+ has for instance? is there interior design changes? and as far as someone mentioned SMG kinks...do i have to expect it to be bad on a 2005 m5 e60 or do i have to expect it to not hold as well as later model...?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Interior looks pretty much the same, different head rests and a start button on the dash otherwise you wouldn't notice!

The 'issues' should all be sorted with the SMG, the pumps were replace under a recall (the brush's used to burn out and stop the pump) and the software would be updated by request or complaint. Get a dealer to check if the recall was done (they will carry it out for free if its needed) and tell you if you have the latest software, there will be a charge for a update if required.

Otherwise taking treatment, mileage and age into consideration a early car should be as reliable as a late.

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
661 Posts
Dude far as price goes on these grab a 2006. Mine was listed for $47K and I got it for $35,500. The deals are out there you definitely have to search. Being that I live in the south the 2006 M5s were expensive as hell buy I started searching up north and they were making deals left and right trying to get them off the lot. As far as interior and exterior go I personally think it doesn't matter. The car is gonna turn heads regardless. Like everybody else has said make sure to get an inspection and check the service records. Definitely find something with a warranty. If not After market warranties are a must from what I hear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts