BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deal collegues,

I know that this topic has been rewritten a million times, but finally I didn't find the answer to my bothering questions.
Sometimes I hear exactly the same sound as in the movie (link below).

Usually for several dozen seconds after starting a cold engine, the right vanos, the left works quietly. After warming up there is silence, VANOS working correctly.

It is can be Vanos Selenoids ?
It is trapped air in the VANOS system ?

I'm going to the dealer to do the vanos test asap.
I will be sure about the solenoid valves. I will try to do a pump test.

The car arrived from Japan a few days ego, has 87k km of mileage.
I don't know anything about the oil in this car, when I visit a dealer, I will change it for 10w60 Liqui Moly, I read on forums that apparently it quietens VANOS.
Can anyone of you confirm something of this diagnosis ?

Thanx,
Martin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine makes a similar noise occasionally when I run it more than once in a day and only when warm. I read somewhere it was a bearing in the adjustment unit that would vibrate at certain frequencies and the whole unit required changing... but that was a thread from like 2008 when dealers would replace whole units instead of trying to remove possible trapped air!

Seems to just be a noise for the time being as it doesn't affect the way it runs any. Often times when I try to pop the hood to have a listen the popping of the hood is enough to make it stop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts