BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

M5 E60 SMG transmission

336 5
I have a 2005 M5 E60 with a SMG transmission problem. A fault shows up as a gear cog, then warning transmission fault, drive cautiously, then limp mode then after a few minutes the car stops and locks into reverse or neutral. This seems to only happen when I drive manually. It’s been to 4 shops but no one to date has fixed it. New hydraulic pump, pump motor, gear shift, alternator, relay been done to date. Any thoughts?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,067 Posts
Fault codes and its detail from INPA or ISTA?
If you going to troubleshoot this online you need k-dcan diagnostic cable and software INPA or ISTA.

Tell us more, what "New hydraulic pump and gear shift" you replaced, do you have part number or picture of the parts?.

· Registered
3,067 Posts
The assembly in third picture comes *** one unit and doesn't require to replace the SMG motor in this case since it also comes with the NEW unit assembly. I think you only replaced the motor after all. What is the reason to replace the shift lever, I hop e not to resolve gear position fault codes.
Generally the system require good bleeding when opened, clutch slave and shift block by BMW software or equivalent.

We need the fault codes and good background regarding what was the main issue and and an explanation why these parts replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts