BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have quite a serious issue with my M5... basically my ecu is water damaged and has to be replaced.

this happened when I had a reg cog on the motorway and it was recovered to an independent... the diagnosed a SMG failure and it was huge money to repair which I wasn't prepared to spend at that time so they delivered it back to my home address while I was still overseas... I of cause paid for all this.

I left the car for 3 months then decided to get it back on the road, battery was dead and it was full to the sill with water.... further messing around shoed they had not bothered to put the fuse cover on (a 5 second job) and had instead left it in the boot.... all the rain water had run down the screen, through the fuse box into the ecu and loom and under dash filling the passenger side up to the sills.
I wasn't happy but as it was 3 mths the garage simply told me to piss off and it was my issue.

so moving on, Ive had the gearbox SMG system replaced with a new one, with pump... Ive replaced the loom and the gearbox ecu and engine ecu with good working second hand ones.

Here is the issue, whilst the ecu can be programmed by the garage to the car... they can't do so until it is blank, as its second hand its not blank and they apparently can't wipe it.

If I can't find a way to wipe this and have it programmed to the car I will have to scrap it and I really want the M5 back as I loved it so much and it was an extremely high spec car.

Everything is legit, I have full documentation for my car, the old corroded ecu and i bought the second hand one for a legitimate source.

Does anyone have any advice? ideas? or contacts that could help me?... Ive spoken to other garages and they all want the car at huge expense and fill me with no confidence they won't have the same issue.

Many thanks
Andy

BTW I had to register as a new user so I guess I can't have posted for so long that my account was deleted?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Troy has done this before. Ask him, I am assuming it is the same as converting an SMG to manual. New DME needed.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There is a process which can be followed to virginize any BMW ECU, but you will need special software (ABRITES AVDI) to do that.

Unfortunately, DME is locked to only 1 CAS so you either need to get the cas from the same car your used DME is from or send your DME off to be revirginized. Or, just find another junked car with DME, CAS, & keys and use those. Then, all you would have to do is make the VINs match which can be done with NCS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any ideas who will be able to 'virginise' the DME... (i guess I'm calling the DME the ecu)

Thus far I've replaced the gearbox module and the engine module with second hand units... makes sense that they would be coded to only one vehicle and not simple to recode otherwise stealing the car would be a simple ecu swop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts