BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my car for about 4 years now enjoyed some 40k miles, some track time, some ring time (going back in May!). During this time I've never changed any of the discs, at the last service BMW recommended that I looked at changing them as they had a serious lip on the fronts and the rears had started to rust over from the outside in.

I'm just in the middle of renovating our house so fair to say the cars not really had my attention recently plus I knew how much BMW where going to charge and that buys ALOT of kitchen tiles!.

So my search for a cheaper alternative begins, looked at the OEM part market nothing really for our size or that would make a sizeable difference to the resulting bill. Went to eBay and a few days later I find a local breakers (scrap dealer) who offered me two basically brand new front discs for £200.

They had been sitting outside so they where in a rubbish state, I took them home cleaned them up as best I could.

Got myself some front pads and went to work fitting them on the car, Jesus what a pain in the arse. Two locating bolts rounded off on one side, ended up using a dremel to cut the old disc off the car.

After putting it all back together I take it out for a spin to bed the new discs and pads in, everything seems to be going well. Stop off for some lunch and on the way home I get some serious judder when braking. It felt like it was coming from the passenger side only, braking from 70mph to 20mph the steering wheel feels like your going across some cattle grids violently shaking.

Quick google suggests either suspension / bushing issue or a warped disc. Unlikely to be suspension related as it was fine on the old disc that I just swapped out. Odds on its a brake issue.

Skip forward a week and a long conversation with Marcus from WELCOME - MOBILE ON-CAR DISC SKIMMING I'm sold that this man can sort out my issues. He tells me a load of tricks to try but frankly I've had enough now so figure I'll leave it to him.

I think the pics do the talking, Marcus managed too:
- Remove completely a cut off rotor retaining screw from the front right
- Cut and fit new screws to size on his lathe!
- Skim all 4 discs

Most importantly all judder was completely gone, soon as I drove away the car felt superb. Pedal felt great and the bite was immense, I'm sure the car has never stopped this well!. The pro cut machine really is excellent.

Marcus attention to detail is second to none, no wonder he gets sent around the UK fixing brake issues on performance cars by manufactures, I will happily recommend his services to all.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good write up mate

My discs basically look like yours and passenger front is juddering just like yours was after being outside and not driven for a couple of weeks
- so i guess I'm gonna get to need to get this done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts