BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,in this months total bmw magazine it warns about the diesseling sound when warm.first question,should i worry?and second if so they mention a company called cpc automotive.how do i contact these people please. (england)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought so as ive already read the "vanos" threads on this board.the car has the accumalator fitted,another good point is it uses very little oil......just sounds noisy when warm!!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Man... if I had a dollar for every inquiry on deiseling sound..... :hihi:

Dave

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just got my M5 last week and noticed the noise at idle when I got out of the car to get the mail from the mailbox.

It ain't nothin' compared to my Kubota tractor at idle. Now THAT'S diesel noise! :hihi:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had my car at the dealer getting a stuck thermostat diagnosed and I asked the M Tech to check out my VANOS noise. Mine is quiet at start up and noisy at running temp. The tech said all M5's do this, even the V10. He said that if you listened closely while seated in the car you can hear it. He said this is also normal. He did say what to watch out for was a progression in the noise from day to day. Also, he said that the whole vanos unit rarely has to be replaced. It is just parts of the unit that go out not the unit as a whole. I found this information very releiving. Some of the posts here can pretty much scare one into selling thier M5.cherrsagai

·
Registered
426 Posts
My brother's E36 M3 also had some serious Vanos dieseling going on, then he replaced the unit and it still makes a little noise.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had my car at the dealer getting a stuck thermostat diagnosed and I asked the M Tech to check out my VANOS noise. Mine is quiet at start up and noisy at running temp. The tech said all M5's do this, even the V10. He said that if you listened closely while seated in the car you can hear it. He said this is also normal. He did say what to watch out for was a progression in the noise from day to day. Also, he said that the whole vanos unit rarely has to be replaced. It is just parts of the unit that go out not the unit as a whole. I found this information very releiving. Some of the posts here can pretty much scare one into selling thier M5.cherrsagai
+1 - this board has been a great source of info, but also made me paranoid about any little noise.

I have come to the conclusion that the amount of noise I have from under the hood is normal as well.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Ths sound of Complexity

I've never heard a performance motor that doesn't sound just a bit sketchy at tickover...The S62 reminds me of my old 4 banger kugelfischer injected 2002tii at idle, it to had a cool clickety click from the mechanical injection bits...totally unrelated but cool in its own wierd way...

Learn to enjoy it...Its the sound of 4 variable cams snapping 32 valves open and shut in accordance with a very complex electro hydraulic actuation system...At idle everything is just sort of loose and happy the way I picture it...;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've never heard a performance motor that doesn't sound just a bit sketchy at tickover...The S62 reminds me of my old 4 banger kugelfischer injected 2002tii at idle, it to had a cool clickety click from the mechanical injection bits...totally unrelated but cool in its own wierd way...

Learn to enjoy it...Its the sound of 4 variable cams snapping 32 valves open and shut in accordance with a very complex electro hydraulic actuation system...At idle everything is just sort of loose and happy the way I picture it...;)
very well said

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yeah, don't be paranoid about noises since it's hard to describe a noise using text. Is it "dieseling" or is it the sound of a grumbling V8? I thought the VANOS issues were a "dieseling" sound at start-up, not when warm, which needs an electric pump installed ("needs" is too much here since it is just for asthetics)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts