BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a recent new owner of an E39/M5, I thought I would start to list some of the "quirks" that maybe others can learn from. These "quirks" are items that some may think are failures, but if everyone is aware of them, they might be able to co-exist in harmony!

Here are a few items I have found that I feel are "quirks" or possibly common annoyances with my car, I assume they are common?

1. Gas gauge will hang at prior level if you fill the car while the ignition is in the accessory position. Gas gauge will not reset until car has been through a sleep cycle? I have had this happen a few times when I have passengers and leave the radio on for them while filling up.

2. Passenger side rear view mirror tilt issue. I occasionally back into my driveway and usually turn the car off while still in reverse. I have the passenger side rear view mirror set to tilt. The problem is if you turn the car off while still in reverse and the rear view mirror is tilted, when you start the car (I always put the car in neutral before I turn the key on) the mirror will stay in the down tilted position. Because I have previously backed into the driveway, I take off in 1st or 2nd gear. When I go to check my passenger mirror, it is still tilted down. I just need to be a stop to put the car is reverse, then take it out of reverse, then the mirror will reset.

3. Windshield wipers, if the car is turned off while the windshield wipers are mid wipe, then when you start the car, you need to turn the wipers off, on, off to get them to park again. This is probably by design so you can "park" your wipers on the windshield for icy conditions and the wipers do not start moving if iced to the windshield when you first start the car.

4. NAV Memo option, not sure if this is due to updated firmware, however, just recently noticed that when I start the car after it has been sitting past the top of an hour, I get the Memo chime function and the clock is displayed on the OBC display. I assume others have this issue?? Just something I recently noticed.

5. Bunny/kangaroo hop upon acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear. I know there have been threads on this, however, I still find this behavior interesting. It seems to happen possibly in conjunction with the DCS from what I can tell?? Anyway, I have not invested much mental capacity in sorting this issue out, my problem may be a bit more cumbersome as my car has Dinan Stage 5 DME software and I hear the Shark DMW software may resolve this issue?

6. Actually figuring out that the M5 has 2 windshield washer reservoirs!! Shortly after getting the car I received an OBC warning that the washer fluid was low. Well I checked under the hood and found that the washer reservoir was full. Well after some searching the forum and looking closely in the owners manual, low and behold there are 2 different washer fluid reservoirs!! We I have since had this message a few times and I believe I have a leaking head light washer pump as I noticed some washer fluid leaking after the last fill up of the reservoir! This problem is typical BMW, however, it is much more of a chore to resolve on the E39 than my E46 to resolve due to the location of the main washer fluid reservoir.

I am sure there are more items I have yet to find, but I thought this might be a good start for some of the newer E39/M5/BMW owners that check into this forum.

If there is not a sticky Quirk thread, might be useful to start one?

Just thought I would share my findings.

·
Registered
991 Posts
1. I generally take the key completely out when I refuel.

2. Can be avoided by toggling the switch next to the square button that folds your mirrors up. I only use the mirror tilting feature when I back a long a curb. (Put car in reverse, toggle switch, park, toggle switch, shut car off) In normal reversing my mirror stays the same.

4. Can be changed in settings.

5. Practice makes perfect.

6. We have two reservoirs. One is the Headlamp and windshield washer system and the other is the Intensive-action washer reservoir.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
1) Not so much of a behavioral quirk, but the roundel on the steering wheel is not perfectly aligned with the gauge cluster. On my car, the roundel sits slightly to the left of the middle point between the speedometer and the tachometer.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
7. Upon unlocking the car and going through the "beep beep" sequence, the 4 corner turn signals continue to flash even if I start the car and drive away. Hazard switch in car become inoperable, the only way to reset is to shut down car, lock, unlock again. This has happened twice in the past few months, I'm still trying to figure out if it is a "feature". My car has integrated K40 radar detectors , not sure if that plays into these electrical gremlins. Searched, no one seems to have found a cure.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bimmerule,

Sounds like you have a module problem, not a quirk??

Sounds like a door lock (ZKE) module?? The module is called a ZKE on the E39, but on the E46 it would be a GM5 module. Make a LCM module?

Look up BMW General Module 5 (GMV, ZKE V) for more info that may be helpful.

First thing I would do is unplug the Hazard light switch for a period of time and see what happens. Then research the GM5/

·
Registered
585 Posts
9,battery eater,even after a week or more they can kill one stone dead without much effort..optimize the beast

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
10. The erratic behaviour of my memory function. Press it sometimes and it works, press it sometimes and the steering wheel goes all the way up, one mirror starts searching for planes in the sky, and my seat moves to a kind of position Houdini would do in one of his coffin tricks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
10. The erratic behaviour of my memory function. Press it sometimes and it works, press it sometimes and the steering wheel goes all the way up, one mirror starts searching for planes in the sky, and my seat moves to a kind of position Houdini would do in one of his coffin tricks.

hihahihahihahiha

Happened to me only once, knock on wood, and you described it perfectly.

dj

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
6. filled mine up yesterday and I heard a dripping noise from under the front right bumper hahaa, another thing to fix

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Bimmerule,

Look up BMW General Module 5 (GMV, ZKE V) for more info that may be helpful.

/
Emailed Scott at BMWGM5.com about 2 weeks ago, never got a reply. The descriptions on his web site deals mainly with doors that do not open properly. I don't have any of that, just blinker activating longer than it should. I wonder if it's due to car alarm being tripped in a certain situation while I was gone. So far it hasn't come back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
2. Passenger side rear view mirror tilt issue. I occasionally back into my driveway and usually turn the car off while still in reverse. I have the passenger side rear view mirror set to tilt. The problem is if you turn the car off while still in reverse and the rear view mirror is tilted, when you start the car (I always put the car in neutral before I turn the key on) the mirror will stay in the down tilted position. Because I have previously backed into the driveway, I take off in 1st or 2nd gear. When I go to check my passenger mirror, it is still tilted down. I just need to be a stop to put the car is reverse, then take it out of reverse, then the mirror will reset.
Mine does this. Quickest fix for me is to press the memory seat button and it goes back to where it should be...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oliel

Thanks for that suggestion, I will try that next time I notice my mirror still tilted down.

This is kind of why I started this thread, so longtime as well as new owners do not panic and think their car is broken. I had a panic attack when I first filled the car up with the ignition was still on so my son could listen to the radio. Got back in the car, started the car and a few block later I was like "WTF?"!

I may need to start a Common Problem thread for all the things like seat adjuster cables, failing rear view mirrors, broken head light adjusters, squeak HVAC fan, noisy Secondary Air Pump, oil seperators/line, thermostats, Guibo, thrust arm bushings and on and on. Not complaining, but with the age of these cars, it seems if there was a running list, all the new owners could map out a to do list and prioritize what needs to be resolved.

Some of the common quirks/problems are typical BMW, some are typical E39, some are typical M5!

Oh the joy and $$$ we all have to suffer to keep a smile on our faces!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
when u get into the car and have to press the center unlock button next to the hazaard lights several times in order for it to open.
I always thought that was just my car.

I think the problem is no matter what the first press unlocks the driver's door, even it it is already unlocked. The second press unlocks the rest.

This might be a programmable feature, similar to the thief protection feature where one unlock press just unlocks driver's door.

·
Registered
991 Posts
6. filled mine up yesterday and I heard a dripping noise from under the front right bumper hahaa, another thing to fix
Probably leaking from the pump, it attaches to the resevoir kinda half-assed. You may need a new gasket and filter set (it comes in a pair I believe) to reattach it to the resevoir.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Probably leaking from the pump, it attaches to the resevoir kinda half-assed. You may need a new gasket and filter set (it comes in a pair I believe) to reattach it to the resevoir.
I tried finding out where it was leaking from yesterday. I took off the black plastic part from under to bumper and tried to follow the hose up to where the nozzle was but it was to hard and cramped to do so. In order to fix it I would have to take a good amount of things apart and I just didnt feel that it was worth it. It only leaks when I fill the resevoir up to the top.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
S62, I have the same leaking windshiled washer problem, common BMW issue, my E46 had the same issue and it looks like my Intensive Cleaning tank grommet is seeping, at least this one is easy to change!!

I have to replace cold air intake filters and my SAP pump as it sounds like wounded animal from 75 feet when it is below 50 F outside!

So I will probably just pull the front bumper and the inner fender panel and deal with this all at once!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
11. When I went out to the car after work last week the left front and rear turn signal lights were on. Apparently I bumped the turn signal stalk down when I got out. Why would it leave the lights on when the key was not in the ignition.

11 1/2. Why, on a $75,000 car, do the parking lamps stay on if I turn the car off with the headlights on? The headlights themselves turn off, but not everything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts