BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thomas, we are honored to contribute even this small piece to your restoration and improvement of this awesome car. I'm glad the shipment arrived successfully, too!

This M5 will live a lot longer with a thorough caretaker such as yourself; particularly if kept off of those Michigan roads in winter.

I'm curious, does the lower end of the RPMs feel sluggish compared to the M3 - or to what are you comparing this?

Cheers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You are very much welcome, I really like your spirit so keep the good work :)

I am indeed comparing it to my (Euro) E36 M3. The reactivity to the pedal is much better on the M3, but beyond that if you floor it in 2nd gear or even 3rd at 2000 rpm, you can really feel the car pulls you hard. With the M5, below 3500 rpm there is not much happening.
On the other hand, the M3 has a VANOS and weighs about 300kg less so...

I just ordered a new clutch kit, with a JB racing flywheel, that should improve the whole lot because I feel I have losses in the transmission, my clutch does not feel right.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Shipping will be much easier when you are in Michigan, LOL 🍺

I am assuming you and/or the mechanic have verified that the variable resonance valve is working correctly? Our vacuum kit can only help ensure that vacuum is delivered to the actuator, but the actuators themselves fail regularly as well. That's the single biggest power detractor under about 3500rpm for these cars, as we've discussed before. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it's really night and day!

We don't have much exposure to Euro E36 M3s over here, unfortunately. I did start off on a US E36 M3, 3.2, and admit that coming to my 3.6 M5 from the 3.2 M3 was a bit of a learning curve. My S38 was freshly rebuilt and in perfect order, but still the instant torque down around 2000rpm from my S52 was simply not present. As you said, there is a solid 2-300kg weight difference as well.

So, barring further verification that your intake system is functional, there might be no more to this story and you will need to adapt to the S38 powerband difference. Now that I have some time in a light, 5 speed B38, it's a lot more like the E36 M3 power delivery and a better daily, IMO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks, the variable resonance valve seems to move correctly during the self test at startup. I did not check under full throttle though, I need to find the proper place to do it since it's kind of noisy...
But yes I think this is also me who needs to get used to a different car :)

41 - 44 of 44 Posts