BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thomas, we are honored to contribute even this small piece to your restoration and improvement of this awesome car. I'm glad the shipment arrived successfully, too!

This M5 will live a lot longer with a thorough caretaker such as yourself; particularly if kept off of those Michigan roads in winter.

I'm curious, does the lower end of the RPMs feel sluggish compared to the M3 - or to what are you comparing this?

Cheers!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You are very much welcome, I really like your spirit so keep the good work :)

I am indeed comparing it to my (Euro) E36 M3. The reactivity to the pedal is much better on the M3, but beyond that if you floor it in 2nd gear or even 3rd at 2000 rpm, you can really feel the car pulls you hard. With the M5, below 3500 rpm there is not much happening.
On the other hand, the M3 has a VANOS and weighs about 300kg less so...

I just ordered a new clutch kit, with a JB racing flywheel, that should improve the whole lot because I feel I have losses in the transmission, my clutch does not feel right.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Shipping will be much easier when you are in Michigan, LOL ?

I am assuming you and/or the mechanic have verified that the variable resonance valve is working correctly? Our vacuum kit can only help ensure that vacuum is delivered to the actuator, but the actuators themselves fail regularly as well. That's the single biggest power detractor under about 3500rpm for these cars, as we've discussed before. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it's really night and day!

We don't have much exposure to Euro E36 M3s over here, unfortunately. I did start off on a US E36 M3, 3.2, and admit that coming to my 3.6 M5 from the 3.2 M3 was a bit of a learning curve. My S38 was freshly rebuilt and in perfect order, but still the instant torque down around 2000rpm from my S52 was simply not present. As you said, there is a solid 2-300kg weight difference as well.

So, barring further verification that your intake system is functional, there might be no more to this story and you will need to adapt to the S38 powerband difference. Now that I have some time in a light, 5 speed B38, it's a lot more like the E36 M3 power delivery and a better daily, IMO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks, the variable resonance valve seems to move correctly during the self test at startup. I did not check under full throttle though, I need to find the proper place to do it since it's kind of noisy...
But yes I think this is also me who needs to get used to a different car :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I realized I did not update here in while... Time to catch up!
The pictures above are not showing for some reason, they are hosted on my own web page and the forum does not want to display them i don't know why... That's too bad but I don't have the patience to edit all the posts again. So this time I will host the pictures on the forum directly, hopefully it will work better.

So after Christmas, I sent back the car to my mechanic because there was still electric issues : the wipers did not move when pushing the switch, but using the driver power seat would make the wipers jolt...
And Aside of the electric gremlins, I dropped a few more parts in the car since a few things were still bothering me, and here we go:
  • flector
  • drive shaft center bearing
  • Front shocks + mounts + spring seats
  • Sachs OEM clutch + JB racing flywheel
  • H&R springs

And after having missed a set of turbine à 900 USD a few months ago, I was keeping an eye on Yahoo Auction and finally found this! Barely a 1000 USD.
My car originally had a staggered set of those, unfortunately this set is square, but it is still a genuine M5 one.

However they had seen better days so I sent them to a local shop for a complete refresh:

Unfortunately the guy was unable to properly do the black center so I went for a whole silver finish, sorry for that, but it is almost invisible on the car and it looks gorgeous :love:

And back to the shop!

Bye bye old shocks:

A bit of cleaning:

Painting:

Wilkommen Bilstein!

All clean with the new springs:

And springs on the rear too with the refurbished SLS!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
After the suspension, we go to the transmission, and down it goes:

Actually it is super dirty because engine is leaking oil on it, so my mechanic cleaned everything:

Then the "while we are here",
New bearing and seal

And the same in the back:

With that the gearbox is done, at least for now, and we can go to the car...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So the bracket of the shifter linkage was loose, so we cleaned and changed it:

All new!

And we also changed the ring here:

And ready for assembly, with the new clutch and flywheel:

The JB Racing flywheel is really a beautiful piece of art:

And the responsible of the oil leak soiling the transmission is here, so you cannot really access it unless you remove the gearbox, so of course we will re-seal that:

And with the clutch on now:

And everything is back with the new flector, new mounts and a clean bracket:

So the car is now almost back together!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
And the car is finished for now!

Just a small detail, but very satisfying: the rear doors handles bezels were totally white, burnt by the sun, so we put new bezel and seals:

I also purchased a new set of Michelin PS4 to put on the new wheels, sold the M-par, and here is the final result!!!

It's gorgeous, I love it! :love:
Unfortunately I did not drive it much due to the Coronavirus consequences here, as movements were restricted, but it drives wonderfully now.
Having refurbished the old rear shocks, it was quite obvious that the front was missing some rigour but now with the new Bilsteins and the H&R springs is feels very planted and precise, I really like the feeling. The new rubbers are also much better than my previous PS3 which were completely dried and deformed. Overall the car is a bit more firm on the bumps but not uncomfortable so I am pretty happy with the set-up.
The flywheel is really a good modification, the engine revs much better, without any noise or any uneasiness in the clutch (which also feels much better now that it is new). I still have response issue in the throttle in mid ranges, I think the issue is coming from the throttle body which is a bit seized so when I lift the throttle it does not close fast enough. But overall it feels very good, I am really happy with that too.

The electricity now, as I wrote: the wipers did not move when pushing the switch, but using the driver power seat would make the wipers jolt...
We change both ZKE and Relay Module under the rear seat but that did not change anything. Finally It seems the culprit was some ground cable, and after some cleaning and fiddling now I have the wipers back :)
However the driver power seat does not move, unless I move the passenger seat first... Good enough for now but very frustrating nonetheless. :mad:

In addition to that my battery is getting drained in 2 weeks, we checked all fuses and it seems 22 in the engine bay may be related (if we remove it, voltage drops), but I don't understand since it is supposed to be headlight cleaning and my car does not have it...
The mystery will remain for now since I am leaving Japan next week and shipping the car to Michigan, so for now I just installed a battery kill switch.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Sounds like a loose or crossed wire, but with some diagnosis using fuse 22 as the culprit circuit, you should be able to find it!

We love the JBR flywheels, good to see. The car is being very spoiled by you, and you are making all of the right decisions. Cheers!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts