BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Fastest Saloon Car on the Planet Isn't…

According to BMW's advertising claims, its M5 is "the fastest saloon car on the planet." CarZone's Michele Lupini went along to witness a test of this claim on the dragstrip.

Visit : <A HREF= "http://www.carzone.co.za"

·
Registered
88 Posts
Who wants to sit in a bucket with someone trying to get in using a jack hammer.
I meet one of these things every other day on my way to work, My M3 evo thrashed the pants off it,lets see how he gets on with my M5 when its run in, like the guy said, they need to learn to drive. These rally homologation specials need sevicing every 4000 miles, transmission oil changing every week, they drink fuel like a 747 and they ride like a skateboard. The production versions NEVER perform to spec. and the owners all seem to have total belief in there ability to win an international rally in their lunch hour. Sad car, sad people.

BrianR

·
Registered
675 Posts
Firstly the Subaru's are not sad cars.For the money they are probably the greatest performance bargain ever (certainly here in the UK with our overpriced cars).For about £20000 ($30000) you can buy a car that will outrun virtually everything on the road and when wet outhandle everything.O.K it is not an M5 it doesn't have the class or refinement but I promise you if you meet one on a twisty road it will probably stay with an M5 easily when dry and leave an M5 for dead when it is wet.However the real point here is who the **** really cares if it is faster ?
There will always be cars that are faster than our beloved M5 but does that make the M5 any less of a car ? If you want raw speed buy a superbike.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Who cares? OK, there are faster cars than the M5, also 4 doors. Back in 1989 Alpina came with the B10 biturbo which is a much faster car than the E34 ///M5 of that time and this Alpina would still be a bit faster than the E39 ///M5. And also the Maserati biturbo was a bit faster than the E34 ///M5 back in 1989.

But, it is time that most of you stop judging cars only on the quarter mile or the ability to smoke up tyres. The ///M5 is not a pure race or rally car, but a very good allround car in which you can travel at high speeds for hours and hours countinously and still has very good track abilities.

It is not right to compare the M5 with a rally car like the Subaru. Granted, the Subaru is a very good performer, but is in a total other league and class than the ///M5. And simply a lost sprint on the quarter mile is not enough to justify Carzone's conclusion.

With best regards,

Raymond

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only flaw I see there is that they claim WRX is a saloon.
In terms of speed, my friend owns a WRX and I have no doubt that stock-to-stock, it beats the M5 in speed, straight line or curve, wet or dry. (For those of you who havn't squat into a WRX, I am speaking from experience).
To attain those speed, however, you need to give up the fake aluminum, the alcantara headliners and all other luxurious factors and fit yourself into a car that's smaller than a Honda Civic.
I still say M5 is the perfect balance.

I would like to know in 3 years time what Subaru is gonna do to the B4 engine in the Legacy, which is what I would call a saloon car.
Still no comparison with BMW's luxury, but at least it's really trying to accomodate 4.

Hopfully, the M5 is gonna get faster or lead the game with some other aspects.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Totally different class of cars. I'll say this, if you live in NYC (or somewhere else that you have to commute long distances through traffic) and have to drive a beater to work I would hands down get one of these subarus.

They are pretty neat, good car for the money, and safe.

They in no way even compare to the luxury of the ///M5 though.

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts