BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by stevea1962:

Anyone have any feedback (good/bad) on the Dinan Engine Software for the M5.\
Thanks,
I had it installed and then removed the next day. I really didn't notice any difference other than the rev limiter was moved up a few hundred rpm. But I did speak with a BMW NA engineer Tech Rep and was adised that regardless what Dinan publishes, a Dinan chip or software download DOES void your BMW warranty if any problems results from the Dinan product. Dinan allegedly warrants whatever BMW denies. But my contact says he has seen cases where BMW denies a warranty claim and points the finger at Dinan. Dinan then also denies the claim claiming it wasn't their product that was defective. Meanwhile, the customer has no BMW to drive while BMW and Dinan duke it out. I say stay away from such products as long as your car has factory BMW warranty.

------------------

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have been fairly happy with the dinan upgrade. my car seems to run more smoothly and i like the extra revs before the rev limiter kicks in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had my Dinan software upgrade installed at my BMW dealership some months ago after speaking with Dinan. Dinan told me that there would be only some slight smoothness enhancement in the 2K RPM range, improving driveability somewhat, that the RPM limit would be raised slightly and the 155 MPH limiter removed. They also told me that there would not be any noticeable increase in HP or Torque as BMW had already fully optimized the hardware and software for this generation. What sold me on the deal was that: 1) it was done at the BMW dealer, avoiding future warranty problems 2) the dealer committed to reload the Dinan software if updates became available or if the BMW software by chance had to be reloaded, thereby wiping out the Dinan stuff, at no cost to me and 3) I would be credited my full cost of the original upgrade against the cost of the next Dinan upgrade which is due when the cold air system is finally available. My driving experience has pretty well comfirmed what Dinan and the dealer told me: very little, if any, improvement other than in being able to exceed 155MPH. Would I do it again? Probably, although I expected the cold air system a lot sooner!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts