1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
SUPRA said:
Do you really think BMW would give sport auto an old car? :rolleyes:
no, but i hope so ;-)

question is: how can we explain both times?

in the previous issue the aston martin db9 with ~457hp and automatic transmission did ther ring in 8:16

so let's compare both cars (m5 vs DB9):
0-200: 13,8 16,5
weight: 1844kg 1847kg ~ the same
transmission: 7speed SMG 6speed auto
tyres: continental sport contact 2 bridgestone potenza re050a = ?
upforce at 200 at the front: 13kg 42kg
upforce at 200 at the rear: 19kg 18kg ~ the same
cw: 0,3 0,33
braking 100-0 warm: 36,1m 37,8m
200-0 warm: 149,4m 145,6m

time ring: 8:13 8:16
time hockenheim: 1:16.5 1:17.7

so why is the m5 just 3s faster on the ring? tyres, damper settings...?

there must be someting wrong. at the last sector (including dottinger hohe) the db9 was 2s faster reaching a top speed of 263 while the m5 hit the limiter at 269. how can that be if the db9 has a lower topspeed and accelerates significantly slower (0-200 in 16,5) than the m5? how can you cut of two seconds (times are 42.2 for the db9 and 44.1 for the m5) if the courso is 97% a straight???

·
Registered
430 Posts
Tomorrow, we will know!

Our dealer has latest information and the new M5 distance learning DVD

YUPPIE!!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
there must be someting wrong. at the last sector (including dottinger hohe) the db9 was 2s faster reaching a top speed of 263 while the m5 hit the limiter at 269. how can that be if the db9 has a lower topspeed and accelerates significantly slower (0-200 in 16,5) than the m5? how can you cut of two seconds (times are 42.2 for the db9 and 44.1 for the m5) if the courso is 97% a straight???
The same conclusion if you compare the last sector of the Viper (supertest 10/2004).

The Viper is 7s (!) faster in the last sector, but at the entrance of the sector, at Galgenkopf, the Viper is 7km/h slower, and at Doettinger Hoehe the Viper is 6km/h slower. This is contradictory, as you cannot get the last sector in a shorter time if you are slower.

But there is Hohenrain before Start/Ziel, where you could loose time, but not more than 7s!

I phoned the sport auto guys today, asking them about this contradiction. I got the answer they have to check the data and will call me back. Let's see what will happen, as I do not know them better as any other reader of this mag.

Sorry, what's this?

·
Registered
430 Posts
max_m5 said:
Tomorrow, we will know!

YUPPIE!!! :)
It's True! Hans-Joachim Stuck did the Nurburgring in 7:52 with standard E60 M5!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
max_m5 said:
It's True! Hans-Joachim Stuck did the Nurburgring in 7:52 with standard E60 M5!!!
that is pretty nice, but unfortunately you have to substract the "hans-joachim-stuck" factor from that time, because he will be faster in every other car too...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
9852147 said:
that is pretty nice, but unfortunately you have to substract the "hans-joachim-stuck" factor from that time, because he will be faster in every other car too...
I disagree. Whether it's Michael Schumacher or Jeremy Clarkson behind the wheel is not the point. We want to know what the lap time is for a human being driving a stock M5 and 7:52 is great! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
But a massive 24 secs? I mean, the Sport Auto guy certainly knows hes stuff so I cant see such a big difference even with Stuck...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mardeth said:
But a massive 24 secs? I mean, the Sport Auto guy certainly knows hes stuff so I cant see such a big difference even with Stuck...
I have heard that 7.52 is the BTG time so it is not indentical to the time SA measured. You have to add approx. 15 seconds.

AM

·
Registered
213 Posts
max_m5 said:

That is VERY quick

For a POR: Lamborghini Murcielago circles the ring at 7.50
Lamborghini Gallardo 7.52
Ferrari Challenge Stradale 7.56
Porsche 911 GT3 7.54
Porsche 996 TT 7.56

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please remember that Horst von Saurma, who did the 8:13, also did 7:32 in a Porsche GT, and that was the absolute record for street cars, even faster than Walter Roehrl.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Horst von Saurma faster than Roehrl?? Sorry, don't wanna offend you but are you kidding? I don't have the time right now to find the sources but Roehrl did the lap in 7:12 with the Porsche GT... I don't say Saurma is a bad driver but comparing him to Roehrl is just pathetic...

·
Registered
246 Posts
SUPRA said:
Do you really think BMW would give sport auto an old car? :rolleyes:
Do you really think that BMW would assemble one especially for Sport Auto? They are called press corps cars, can't imagine why though.

:cool2: simmikie

·
Registered
32 Posts
max_m5 said:
Hey max_m5!

Absolutely great news, but I wonder where you derived this information from? Did your dealer tell you that or is it stated on that DVD you have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Horst von Saurma faster than Roehrl?? Sorry, don't wanna offend you but are you kidding? I don't have the time right now to find the sources but Roehrl did the lap in 7:12 with the Porsche GT... I don't say Saurma is a bad driver but comparing him to Roehrl is just pathetic...
The source for Horst von Saurma driving the fastest lap is sport auto 10/2004, page 24.

EDIT:
Walter Roehrl said in this interview:
http://www.heise.de/tr/artikel/51427

Apropos Geschwindigkeit: Ihre aktuelle Nordschleifen-Runde am Nürburgring?
7:33, 7:32, handgestoppt, aber wir sind nie auf Zeit gefahren. Wir haben darüber diskutiert und uns entschieden, dass man damit einmal aufhören muss. Ich habe 30 Jahre Motorsport überlebt, jetzt muss ich nicht mehr wissen, ob ich 7:26 oder 7:27 fahre. Früher hätte ich es gekonnt, heute brauche ich es nicht mehr.

Rough translation:

What is your actual Nordschleife lap time?

7:33, 7:32 using a stop watch. But we never tried to make a record. We discussed about it and decided that you should stop it. I survived 30 years of motor sports and I need not to know if I could make 7:26 or 7:27. In former times I had been able to do it, today I do not need it anymore.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts