BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 M5 and my wife drives a 1998 528. Over the past four years we've been to most of the BMW dealerships in our area (LA and Orange County, CA) and generally they fall flat when it comes to service. Last time I had my M5 in the shop it was because something came loose in the steering wheel and started rattling around whenever I turned a corner. Dealership answer... "we couldn't find anything, so it's probably alright". Like most of you with the 2001 M5, I had my car into the shop FOUR times to get the cam sensors replaced. You would think that given that these had to be upgraded that the FIRST time I had it in they would have swapped out all four! Right now I've been waiting for three weeks to get my car in for it's 25k service, all because I want a loaner. I used to own a Lexus and got really spoiled in how well they ran their service centers. Is this typical of BMW service everywhere, or only in Southern California?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have you tried Crevier in Santa Ana or Sterling in Newport Beach? I've never been to either personally but have heard good things of their service.

Stay away from Irvine BMW no matter what.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AmirBimmer said:
Have you tried Crevier in Santa Ana or Sterling in Newport Beach? I've never been to either personally but have heard good things of their service.

I actually purchased my M5 from Crevier. The only time I contacted them after purchase was to see if they had any info on a newer version of the navigation software. I sent them 2 E-mail requests for info, but never heard anything back. This could be just a problem with their web master. I'll give them a try. Thanks for the feedback and warning on the Irvine dealer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Call Fab at EF1 - www.ef1motorsports.com

Tell you are part of M5board group. He does full service and upgrade performance installs and has nice prices, clean, and very knowledgable. Save you a lot of money from stealerships.

If you must have to go to dealership he is right by Long Beach BMW, about 2 blocks to be exact, he has friends over there too.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
AmirBimmer said:

I've been to both Crevier and Sterling, in the past, and they have been okay. No major problems, nothing extraordinary stellar either.

I've been going to Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa for various mods and service, and will be trying Evosport in Huntington Beach for modifications.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A new dealer just opened in Torrace, Cali called southbay BMW. Cross streets are 190 blvd and Hawthorne blvd right across from norms resturant

·
Registered
330 Posts
There is ASSAEL in Duarte, CALIF. I never had anything performed on my M5 by them, I use them to get my tune up parts since they are local for me. I have heard nothing bad about them, nothing great neither. Their parts dept. team is nice people at least.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have my beast serviced by Cooper's BMW Banstead South London, and their customer service is exceptional. Loan cars are always available, the staff are friendly and helpful. Most parts are generally in stock, faults are repaired first time. I even had a set of discs changed while i waited without an appointment.

Fantastic!
:flag:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far it seems like most of us M5 owners in SoCal are not real excited about our local dealerships (e.g., warnings about certain dealers). Maybe the closer you get to Germany the better the service!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Been to many in the area and in my experience, Long Beach BMW has been the best. They are also one of the few BMW dealerships with their own bodyshop. They do a pretty decent job...

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
atlatl said:
I have a 2001 M5 and my wife drives a 1998 528. Over the past four years we've been to most of the BMW dealerships in our area (LA and Orange County, CA) and generally they fall flat when it comes to service. Last time I had my M5 in the shop it was because something came loose in the steering wheel and started rattling around whenever I turned a corner. Dealership answer... "we couldn't find anything, so it's probably alright". Like most of you with the 2001 M5, I had my car into the shop FOUR times to get the cam sensors replaced. You would think that given that these had to be upgraded that the FIRST time I had it in they would have swapped out all four! Right now I've been waiting for three weeks to get my car in for it's 25k service, all because I want a loaner. I used to own a Lexus and got really spoiled in how well they ran their service centers. Is this typical of BMW service everywhere, or only in Southern California?
I did not purchase either of my M5s from the local dealers (Sterling or Crevier), but I had work done by both until I moved from the area a few months back. Crevier did a pretty good job in my opinion. They replaced my clutch without even having to argue about it. Back when this occurred, it was a bit up in the air whether this was suppose to be covered or not, but they went ahead and did it anyway.

I never had any work done at Irvine BMW, but I would recommend Crevier from my past experience there.

Mark

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
greer said:
Which LA dealer does the most work on M5's ?
Greer:

I take my M5 to Service Advisor - Gerd Stegemann @ Beverly Hills BMW and the ONLY M-Tech that has ever touched my car is Tony Hawkins. He's the BEST!!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
greer said:
Eddie,

What work has Tonk Hawkins done on your car?
Greer ...

He installed All the Dinan Work on my Car ...

Stage III Suspension
Rear Sway Bar
BP Brackets
3.45 Diff
Cold Air Induction Kit
Brake Duct Kit
High Flow Air Meters
IATS
Front & Rear Strut Bars
HID Fogs
HID Headlights
Stage III Software
:flag: :flag:

·
Registered
330 Posts
KirklandM5 said:
Best place for service is New Century BMW, ask for John Velarde as your advisor...
My business partner took his 540i in to replace a couple hoses he could not reach on his own, we got car back from New Century job complete. Luckily he stopped back at our office where we then noticed the coolant began gushing out. The way they handled the situation overall was nightmarish and pathetic considering the result could of been much worse. Im glad you feel they offer great service. They are the worst dealership service experience I have ever witnessed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts