BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M5 is dead. Leaving work today, headed home in Redwood City, CA.

Took a left off of El Camino on to Jefferson. Stupid b***h on a cell phone took a right out of the Whole Foods parking lot and clipped the front of my car. Wouldn't have been a big deal, except there was a car just to the left of me. Evasive maneuver (trying to avoid another collision, pedestrians all around) left nothing but the telephone pole as an out.

Telephone pole stood tall. M5 is dead. Motor let out one final crunching sound a few seconds after everything stopped. Front end and whole right side is smashed up. No airbags tho. Odd.

This chick never even got off the phone. Stayed on her cell phone until the cops had to tell her to hang up. She was smart mouthing them- clearly her fault but whatever I doubt she has insurance.

The real winner is BMWNA - they had just done the approval to our dealer to buy it back with their intention to avoid a lemon law claim.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dang man, sorry to hear that. Just glad to know no one got hurt... except your princess. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm fine. Mostly irritated at stupid drivers. I just really, really hate inattentive drivers. AAARRGGGHHH. :grrrr: :grrrr:

No big deal though, just a good excuse for a new one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
WTF, no airbag deployment? How fast were you going? Glad to hear you are not hurt... Stupid people doing stupid things make me mad...

·
Registered
915 Posts
:sad2:

glad your okay though, whats next? :haha:

·
Registered
29 Posts
WTF, no airbag deployment? How fast were you going? Glad to hear you are not hurt... Stupid people doing stupid things make me mad...
It's been discussed before, and I believe the conclusion was that the airbags do not deploy unless absolutely needed in case of secondary impacts. ie you might hit a car without the airbags deploying and you then veer off the road and hit a tree in which case the airbags are going to be more effective.

Sorry to hear about the car! The number of times I've nearly had accidents because of people talking on their phones is incredible and ugh it just makes me want to smack em around a bit.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Ouch. At least there were no serious injuries.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You should've gotten out of your car, grabbed that cell phone out of that stupid C-nts hand, and smashed it on the ground infront of her. Then tell her that she's a whore, and what you did to her phone is exactly what she did to her father's expectations!
I like what you said, if that happened to me,
i am upset for your car, glad u are ok.....
PS...what was the deal with BMWNA about the lemon law???????

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
A cell phone user, no concentration....did you plant your foot in a strategic place, on her ??

Reactions: drewzMMM

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Cell phones take a normally incompetent, inattentive stupid driver and turn them into a lethal weapon. If something like this happens to me I know I'm gonna loose my mind. I already gave my wife instructions to get remarried after I get sent up to the BIG house cause I know I'm gonna do something irrational when (if) it happens to me. I commend your restraint and feel your pain.........so sorry.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sucks! When I read your story I was in full agreement - I would have made the same decision to take out the telephone pole because they "give". When I saw your pic I realized it was one of those metal utility poles. I think I would have chosen to take out one of the pedestrians instead... BUT, you did have the pending buyback because of the Lemon Law, so -- oh well.

Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a simmilair thing. I smashed up the whole side and the wheels just broke off but NO AIRBAGS!!!

that is really strange.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am happy that you are OK, sorry to hear about the ride.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Airbags typically require a minimum of 2 sensors to be triggered in order for them to deploy. In this case, if you look at how he hit the pole (nearly straight on) the adjacent sensors in the corners of the bumpers were not impacted enough, and judging by the picture it actually looks like the bumper sprung forward around the pole. I had something similiar happen to me about 10 years ago, made a great U out of the front end, but missed the corner sensors by an inch or so on either side.

Had he hit the pole slightly off center, it may have triggered them.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your issues... not to change the subject, but why was it up for a lemon law? Was this an 06' model?

-F

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
This story is a testimony to two things: (i) once again how safe this car is and (ii) how dangerous (and rampant) it is to talk on a cell phone while driving. Frankly, even the hands free option (which I ise frequently) is still a distraction. How many times have you seen a driver solo in the car with his/her lips moving. Did you ever notice the propensity for them to be looking up towards the top of the windshield? That is b/c they are trying to speak into the microphone -- even though it is totally unnecessary and in many cases makes the transmission worse. How can they be looking at the right place with their attention up there.

Every time I respond to an MVA in the ambulance or the fire engine, if there is no smell of booze, the very first thing we look for is the open cell phone somewhere in the footwells of the car. It is amazing how many times you find it with the call still connected!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ouch! That sucks.....now your insurance takes the hit instead of BMWNA......Not good......

1 - 20 of 47 Posts