BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there here anything about the possibility of this?????

I think it would be an awesome vehicle.:1:

With a 6.3 litre E55 AMG due in 07-08' and a new Audi RS6 with a V10 a
lightweight M5 w/ carbon fibre roof and other goodies might not be a bad
idea..........:M5rev:

·
Registered
968 Posts
This question has been asked too many times. Search the forums!

No, it is highly unlikely this will happen. For a start, the "C" in "CSL" stands for Coupe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
fische said:
Anyone out there here anything about the possibility of this?????

I think it would be an awesome vehicle.:1:

With a 6.3 litre E55 AMG due in 07-08' and a new Audi RS6 with a V10 a
lightweight M5 w/ carbon fibre roof and other goodies might not be a bad
idea..........:M5rev:
I know that a M5 & M6 CSL will come but do'nt know when

sheers

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
I think it was only M6 CSL. BMW M have told me that M6 CSL makes alot more sense that M5 CSL: I have also reports of that M6 CSL have been seen around BMW M HQ in Munich / Garching.

phille said:
According to Auto Motor & Sport it will be a M5 CLS with 50 extra bhp

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yeah, a M5 "CSL"? If they do that.. what is the C for?

Besides, the M5 is a four door car, not really the best candidate for a stripped down, no power anything, no AC, no radio version.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Gustav said:
I think it was only M6 CSL. BMW M have told me that M6 CSL makes alot more sense that M5 CSL: I have also reports of that M6 CSL have been seen around BMW M HQ in Munich / Garching.
Okej but do you know if they have plans for a more powerful E60 M5 in the furture which can compete with AMG and more..?

sheers

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
phille said:
Okej but do you know if they have plans for a more powerful E60 M5 in the furture which can compete with AMG and more..?

sheers
The M5 already competes with the AMG models. I think it would be a mistake for BMW to offer a more powerful version so shortly after introducing the car. By doing so, they would seriously tick off its most loyal customers who bought some of the first M5s and would have waited and paid more for the most powerful version. In addition, BMW has not seen the need to add horsepower just to "compete" with AMG's xx65 line, and correctly so. Most who appreciate BMW's approach recognize that the M5 already offers a more satisfying driving experience than the xx65 line. As for a lightweight version, it would miss the point of the car -- a superb performer that easily serves as a daily driver with all modern conveniences.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't mean right now. Both MB and Audi developing new cars which can compete with the new M5 and I think that in the furture BMW has to respond. I think sooner or later they have to add more horepower because it's competitors are getting better. But they have to build very good cars if it going to be better then the M5.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
MRichmond said:
The M5 already competes with the AMG models. I think it would be a mistake for BMW to offer a more powerful version so shortly after introducing the car. By doing so, they would seriously tick off its most loyal customers who bought some of the first M5s and would have waited and paid more for the most powerful version. In addition, BMW has not seen the need to add horsepower just to "compete" with AMG's xx65 line, and correctly so. Most who appreciate BMW's approach recognize that the M5 already offers a more satisfying driving experience than the xx65 line. As for a lightweight version, it would miss the point of the car -- a superb performer that easily serves as a daily driver with all modern conveniences.
It doesn't seem that much of a stretch to go to a 5.5L displacement with the commensurate increase in HP and torque. You're right about ticking off existing buyers, but BMW did just introduce a 4.8L engine in the 550 that produces 360 HP vs the 325 HP of my 545.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
dNA3D said:
For a start, the "C" in "CSL" stands for Coupe.
actually, i believe CSL stands for Club Sport Light, not coupe... ;)

·
Registered
829 Posts
I do not believe there will ever be an M5 CSL, or atleast an M5 SL. Will have to see it with my own eyes before I believe it, won't trust any rumors untill then.

Why do you ask? Well simply because an SL version (or whatever you wanna call it) of the M5 doesn't fit into the product vision. The M5 is supposed to be a comfortable family car suitable for everyday use which can flick up enormous amounts of power when needed. It's not supposed to be a die hard extremely tuned track car like the M3 CSL.

The M5 is too big and too heavy to be a track car, on top of that it has 4 doors.

The market positions of the M5 and M3 differ alot, there is room for an extreme M3 in the form of the CSL.

And lets face it BMW M thinks before they do, we're not talking about AMG here. An M5 SL wouldn't make much sense now would it? If you're really looking for a die hard extreme car then you would be better of opting for a M3 CSL.

I think we'de sooner see a M7 then a M5 SL.

M6 CSL is a different story. BMW is thinking about using the M6 in competitions so a M6 CSL/GTR/DTM are possible, but I think we'de have to wait a few years for those to happen.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
frylord said:
I do not believe there will ever be an M5 CSL, or atleast an M5 SL. Will have to see it with my own eyes before I believe it, won't trust any rumors untill then.

Why do you ask? Well simply because an SL version (or whatever you wanna call it) of the M5 doesn't fit into the product vision. The M5 is supposed to be a comfortable family car suitable for everyday use which can flick up enormous amounts of power when needed. It's not supposed to be a die hard extremely tuned track car like the M3 CSL.

The M5 is too big and too heavy to be a track car, on top of that it has 4 doors.

The market positions of the M5 and M3 differ alot, there is room for an extreme M3 in the form of the CSL.

And lets face it BMW M thinks before they do, we're not talking about AMG here. An M5 SL wouldn't make much sense now would it? If you're really looking for a die hard extreme car then you would be better of opting for a M3 CSL.

I think we'de sooner see a M7 then a M5 SL.

M6 CSL is a different story. BMW is thinking about using the M6 in competitions so a M6 CSL/GTR/DTM are possible, but I think we'de have to wait a few years for those to happen.
I agree with you. I really don't think an M5 or M6 CSL makes sense. Why take a car that is 400 lbs heavier than a stock Porsche 997S, and designed to be a luxury GT, and take out all the soundproofing, AC, radio, comfortable seats, etc... Then what you'll have is a really uncomfortable car that might be marginally quicker around a track than a stock Porsche 997S.

·
Registered
134 Posts
m630 said:
actually, i believe CSL stands for Club Sport Light, not coupe... ;)
Actually...dNA3D is correct...CSL stands for "Coupe, Sport, Leicht".

This is the same as on the old 3.0, 3.5 and the E24 6-series cars, when their were designated CSL and/or CSi, the 'i' for injected.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts