BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you really think they'll produce one?

With the new M5 weighing in at around 1800kgs there's plenty of stuff they could remove to make a go faster version. However, the development & production costs would be quite high and the low volumes would make it non-profitable from day one.

Most of us would like to see it but I think an M6 CSL is much more likely ??????

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hope so but in very rare quantities... that would be reasonable or you can just order one individualy those who are intrested only

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
...there's plenty of stuff they could remove...
BMW will unlikely make a M5CSL. may be M6 CSL.
if you want to get rid of those luxury bits, you can strip yours out :blink:
chances are the standard E60 M5 will be quick enough for most of the owners.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree the CSL brand will only be associated with coupes only. The M5 is a totally different offer to an M3 CSL. The M5 appeal to me is about a high performance :M5rev: 4 door road car rather than a track focused road legal :wroom: track car.

A stripped down M5 with no air con, no hifi, no rear seats, offered semi slicks [which you can't used below 7C] would be an interesting car [like the X5 Le Mans] but probably not commercially viable for BMW to offer.

But imagine...

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
360bhp said:
A stripped down M5 with no air con, no hifi, no rear seats, offered semi slicks [which you can't used below 7C] would be an interesting car [like the X5 Le Mans] but probably not commercially viable for BMW to offer.
It would be - if it would fit into a racing series - which it probably doesn't. However the M6 might fit perfectly into the FIA GT & in modified form in the Lemans classes - matching it against the Ferrari 550/575, Porsche 996 GT3, etc.

·
Banned
664 Posts
I am pretty sure I read somewhere in a magazine recently that a BMW insider (don't you just love that quote) had comfirmed the likelyhood of a M6 CSL.

M5 doesn't really suit the CSL treatment in my mind...

·
Registered
336 Posts
They shouldn't make one and hopefully will not. CSL treatment means stripped out interior, which doesn't suit M5

But I do however, think that they should make a special version after the first 1 or 2 production years. Like I mentioned in the other thread, they can link up the M5 and its Ring taxi role and make a Nurburgring package/edition. I liked that idea with the E34. It's sad that the E39 M5 was gone without receiving any special treatment

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It would make no sense to make a M5 CSL... for reasons other than just the fact that C is for Coupe.

In fact, I for one don't like the whole idea of special edition versions of special edition cars. While the M3 CSL is a fast car... I don't like the thought of what was once the baddest, fastest 3 series is no longer the baddest fastest 3 series.. Just make all M3s as CSL's.

About the only "special edtion" M that sounds like a great idea to me is what maq points out... a going away (or introduction) limited edition that is different trim, paint, etc.

·
Registered
714 Posts
vndkshn said:
...About the only "special edtion" M that sounds like a great idea to me is what maq points out... a going away (or introduction) limited edition that is different trim, paint, etc.
agree. they can make a commerative edition (there was one M5 before.. with some alcantara seats, etc etc... for whatever reason i forgot). always the owner can individualize their car to make it slightly different.

upgrading certain things at an inappropriate lifetime of the model can be poor strategy - something like the 'RS6 plus' was an upsetting introduction to certain RS6 owners.

how about a Vmax removed, MANUAL E60 M5 :cheers: as a limited edition, huh? that would sell! yeah, keep the luxury bits in there, and i can guarantee the marketing guys that this one will sell. retain the loyal E39 owners! :15:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My guess is that they won't produce an E60 M5 CSL, but maybe they will bring out a limited edition or something, hopefully with a manual gearbox as said before, but that also isn't something that will happen IMO, they will probably just bring out a limited edition with a special interior and exterior.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts