BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts

Why didn't BMW made any of those beauties??:dunno:
The blue one looks like a production ready example!:eek:h:
I think they would be selling like hot buns when new and they would made an excellent second hand buy now!:biggrin:

Does anybody have some more info regarding this subject??:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Why didn't BMW made any of those beauties??:dunno:
Probably because the coupe was pointless and not particulary attractive, coupled with the fact that BMW already had a big coupe which wasn't selling very well (E31).

The vert looks good but I expect it would have suffered from a lack of torsional ridgidity being an older design which wasn't intended to be topless. Even the E36 M3 vert wasn't good in this regard and was a much newer design.

Interesting that Audi have taken out a mainstream large coupe which is more accessable than a BMW 6 series.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I guess you guys are aware ?? that there is a road-ready E34 M5-convertible parked in the 'holy basement' of the M-GmbH in Garching !! Only -very- few people have ever seen it -live-. In fact I happened to talk to one of those few only yesterday......:byebye: (NO joke !)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably because the coupe was pointless and not particulary attractive, coupled with the fact that BMW already had a big coupe which wasn't selling very well (E31).
But the 8 series was an upmarket expensive product with the big V12 engine and only later on was the option of... still large V8:eek:h:

5 series coupe could be produced with whole range of engines - 2.0l to M5 one - so it could appeal to a different buyers! :noSMG: So why not?:dunno:
Mercedes 300 coupe was an successful car IIRC

guess you guys are aware ?? that there is a road-ready E34 M5-convertible parked in the 'holy basement' of the M-GmbH in Garching !!
Wonder if this is the same example as the blue one on the pictures??:3:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Wonder if this is the same example as the blue one on the pictures??:3:
-
WOW, ZS E 62 !!! I did NOT see THAT at first,
YES that must be the one, WHERE do these pictures comes from ???
As normally this car is a well-kept secret and still the existance of this car
is often denied by BMW people for reasons not known.....

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Good to see all those pictures in one place - thanks for posting.

·
Registered
169 Posts
interesting to see that BMW actually had the black one in full US spec trim and yet it wasnt even released in ECE?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
At the time, is was a marketing decision. A 5 series coupe or convertible would have directly cannibalised sales of the E36.

Where the hell did those pictures come from?

Only the b/w and the cropped side view have been seen before, then you post a load of pics!

Bournemouth too. Must get Ralph Vadas and you out for a beer then!

Regards and thanks

Ivan

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
ZS E 62 ( ZS = BMW Individual ) is definately the car that normally is hidden
in the basement of the M-GmbH in Garching .
As it happens did a friend of mine visit the M-GmbH not long ago and he did
specifically ask to see the M5-convertible. And there it was, definately the same car as on the pictures.
-
Both E34-Coupes have -AC-Schnitzer-wheels and one car has an - AC S 530 - number-plate in the same way as AC-Schnitzer-demo-cars normally have.
Does this mean -AC-Schnitzer- did in fact make a small series of E34 S5-Coupes (??) or did they make some to special order ?? Does anyone know ??

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The pics of ZS E 62 look to be taken in the parking spots beside M-Gmbh HQ in Garching. I have picture standing in one of those spots so recognise the background.

There are differences between the cars in the pics though. The black and white pic (which we all know) shows the car on turbines with grey leather e34 seats. The new photo's show the car on TS with e31 seats, and taking a fresh look at the older color side-profile shot shows it is also fitted with the e31 seats there. If you look at the new pics with e31 seats the doorpanel and the rear interior side card are flush, as the seat holds the seatbelt. On the old black and white photo the rear inner sidepanel seems to protrude, perhaps because it holds a seatbelt????

Seems an awful lot of re-engineering? Perhaps two cars......

Funny thing is the side-profile-missing-tail shot at the bottom is an older pic, but until today I never saw that the car has e31 seats there....

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If you look at the new pics with e31 seats the doorpanel and the rear interior side card are flush, as the seat holds the seatbelt.
Wow, I didn't notice that. I learn something every day!

Regards
Ivan

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I've a reasonable eye for detail...

The two pics of the coupe are different,
The top picture has a greater length from B-post to C-pillar
(and indeed rear wheel arch)

If either are genuine then I'd say the top car is a photoshop job
or converted from a 4-door whereas the lower car is a more
convincing 2 door coupe.

Hmm...we just need to find one now !

hmmm

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've wrote a replay yesterday but it somehow disappeared! :eek: :grrrrr:

So here it goes again!:7:

I've found those convertible pictures on one polish BMW forum and asked the guy where did he found them?
He replayed that he used google search and found the pictures on some Spanish (probably?) forum: http://www.marplatenses.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=19816&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=bb2cab934546bdf7d40e1fd81048e5a9

So now we will need some Spanish speaker (can be nice Spanish girl!:haha2:) to translate it or try to ask the person who post it where he got those pictures from?:confused:

Regarding the Coupes - I've found them here: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/other/E34_Photoshop.htm
They seems unfortunately to be just somebody's photoshop attempt but I also found one B&W photo of e34 coupe (same style pic as the first e34 cab one so it might be genuine!) but I don't remember now where! :sad2:
I know - shame on me!

To make up for it just a little bit I will show You that picture...

...and I still will be looking for that coupe one! :typing:

Bournemouth too. Must get Ralph Vadas and you out for a beer then!

Regards and thanks

Ivan
Why didn't I spot Your car anywhere? :M5launch: Will be now looking for it around! :sonar:

I'm always more than happy to meet with You guys and go for a pint cherrsagaior two cherrsagaicherrsagai or... :hihi:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
[email protected] [email protected]
The black+white with the turbines is a drawing, not a photograph.
The car in the bottom of the list is a photoshop-fake.
Karl, this photo is not a fake! It´s obviously also taken in Garching. Behind ZS E 62 is a silver e36 with a strange piping in the rear, (which to me would seem a testrig for the e36 convertible´s rollover protection system) Behind that you see the roofline of an e31 with the door open. You´ll also see that the front spoiler is way too deep for a normal e31, and that the door the hand is on has a window frame. Production e31 however has frameless windows. The only e31 to ever have a window frame is the only e31 to ever have lightweight doors. You can even see the open lower bit of M8´s driver window.

So you have THE two mystery BMW proto´s from the ´90s in one shot....... A copy of this photo has been nailed to my desk wall for 10 years for exactly that reason, and I would love to have a high/res print of it.

Here´s a sideshot of M8 showing the lightweight doors with windowframe and largely fixed window. No way in h3ll a photoshopper would go throught the trouble of providing a fake with that much correct detail!

If the M5C on turbines is a drawing that answers my question about the seats, and if it is the artist has a good sense of humour. Putting the nose MB W124 in the background :hihi:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
[email protected] [email protected]
cheers mate. If you're right, you are right. Your observations make sense, although I can not see what you see, still, point taken, no problem.
-
The reason why that photograph was generally accepted as a fake until now
was partly based on the colour being rather black (diamondblack) then dark-blue and the absence of the seat-tops, head-rests but then again there cud
have been another prototyp before the dark-blue-car or the picture was taken before it was decided to use E31-seats.
-
I lift my hat for 'eagle-eyed-Stevie':trophy_bronze::M5thumbs:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh crap! grrrrrrr

Somebody just replaced the coupe picture with an advertisement! :mad:

Maybe anybody downloaded it in time and can post it again? :1zhelp:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts