BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These things always happen when you're away from home...

My wife took the M5 out for a run yesterday. It had been sitting for a few days due to snow/ice in the drive, so this was the first exercise for a while. However, it started first bang and ran like a dream. She then visited a couple of relatives, clocking up about 10 miles in the process, again no problems. Then when she had reversed back into the drive and had almost reached the normal parking point, the engine cut out and the car lost all electrical power - no headlights, no interior lights, no dashboard lights, no ignition, no life whatsoever.

That's the state of play at the moment. I will be back in a couple of days and will start investigations, but ahead of this does anybody have any ideas/suggestions/similar experience?

·
Registered
216 Posts
These things always happen when you're away from home...

My wife took the M5 out for a run yesterday. It had been sitting for a few days due to snow/ice in the drive, so this was the first exercise for a while. However, it started first bang and ran like a dream. She then visited a couple of relatives, clocking up about 10 miles in the process, again no problems. Then when she had reversed back into the drive and had almost reached the normal parking point, the engine cut out and the car lost all electrical power - no headlights, no interior lights, no dashboard lights, no ignition, no life whatsoever.

That's the state of play at the moment. I will be back in a couple of days and will start investigations, but ahead of this does anybody have any ideas/suggestions/similar experience?
You can hope it's one of the fuses. It's a good point to start and an easy thing to check and replace.
You can also check the battery with a volt meter.

Otherwise, I would tow the car to the dealer.

I never had this happen to me, but that's the first place I would start.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had the same problem.

I was driving on on freeway (in traffic) and all of sudden everything goes out the car just died on me, ?????? the problem was the positive battery cable got loose, the funny part is that sense theres no power I couldn't open the trunk and so I sad to lower the back seat and get to the battery from the inside the car, :biggrin: it took me 5 min and I was on my way from there, simple fix, no biggie :D
:M5launch::M5launch::M5launch:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was looking for that...

There is a manual trunk release under the rear seat :lightbulb:
Believe it or not I don't have it, I looked for it, I took the rear seat out and it wasn't there, I could find it, I just looked again thought maybe I missed it the first time but no I don't have it!!! :dunno: (maybe previous owner ripped it out, who knows?!)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Maybe it's broken that's why you can't see it. Yesterday I closed the trunk with the battery disconnected ( stupid me...).
When pulling from that ring it parted in two pieces :(
The trunk would not open.
Solution: open the hood and apply 12V with another car battery or a charger on the Red +12V connector and any ground, then open the trunk normally.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe it's broken that's why you can't see it. Yesterday I closed the trunk with the battery disconnected ( stupid me...).
When pulling from that ring it parted in two pieces :(
The trunk would not open.
Solution: open the hood and apply 12V with another car battery or a charger on the Red +12V connector and any ground, then open the trunk normally.
Thats a good idea but not in my situation, when you are stuck it the middle of freeway with no power supply like another battery or a charger and if your emergency trunk release ring is torn or broken your only option is what I did, lower back seats and get in to the trunk from inside the car to access the tools in the trunk lid and to the battery.:1:

·
Registered
279 Posts
confused. are we referring to an E39 or E60 with regards to the manual trunk release? I don't believe my E39 had this feature...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
E39 has the manual key to lock unlock if loss of power

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rear seats on the E39 can be unlatched from the inside of the car and folded down allowing access into the luggage compartment, and it was also possible to manually unlock the luggage compartment using a key, so there was no requirement for a release cord on the E39. The E60 rear seats can only be unlatched from inside the luggage compartment and there is no key access, so the cord is essential in the event of a power loss.

·
Registered
44 Posts
weird

The funny thing is that I've tried the key and it didn't work for some reason even later when I got the power back I've tried to open the trunk again with the key and I couldn't, I won't open, I mean I can lock it if you dont want anybody to get in your trunck but it won't open. I guess my lock got busted...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts