BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Is there a breakdown of how many of each color M5 that were made each year?

Thanks Jack

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
[email protected] there is a lot of -useless wisdom- out there but there have to be limits. You cud limit the effort by being a bit more specific, what M5 are we
talking about > E28, E34, E34touring; E39, E60 ??
brgds

JRCM5 said:

Thanks Jack

·
Registered
121 Posts
There were many different colors available through the entire run of the e34. There are people here that have the answer for you I am sure, but can you narrow it down to a particular color or a particular year, or maybe greens, blues, reds or blacks. If not, the list will be really long.

Greg

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
solard said:
this is an E34 forum..so i suppose he already made it specific? ....***?
Seeing as Karl is the "knowledge" on this board guess he wont be answering this. Would be nice if no insults were thrown about :nono:

Saying that i would love to know the colours and amounts produced for the RHD 6 speed models(LE`s excluded as 35 orinoco and 15 rosso made)

Pretty please Karl?? :wroom: :wroom:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
solard said:
i didnt post THAT...****...who the hell's trying to hack my account
Time to change the password dude ??????

:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Oh yeah...and while we're at it i'd also like to know how many Mauritius Blue right hand drive 3.6's were sent to Tasmania that had a diversity antenna and an auto dimming rear view mirror!...Just kidding guys....i'm just luvin the thread! :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree that it seems a long shot but

This board gave the knowledge that I have 1 of only 15 Rosso Red M5's in the UK. Maybe there are no more Rosso Reds anywhere (Romantic Rot actually).
Good luck on finding the white ones in America.

cherrsagai .

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
JRCM5 said:

Thanks Jack

Jack

I have a great book on all the M cars upto the E36 M3. The answer to your question is in this book.

I have not got a scanner - so I will have to type up the info. Will do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
[email protected]
that book wud save some of us - a lot of - time, which one is it ? the official ///M-book, my guess is it gives the productions figures but not specificed to the colours, does it really ??? -
-
Steve [email protected]
am I the 'master of useless knowledge' ?? ;) as u might know I did a M5touring-research and as a 'spin-off'-project the E34-special-model cars,
like Winkelhock, Cecotto, LE UK, "20th anniversay ///M" + dealer edition cars
BUT the number of cars of -normal E34 M5- made in a certain colour wud need for someone to go thru ALL the build-sheets or have access to the vehicle-archives of BMW, I do not believe that even BMW knows -
'White' appears to have been a very popular color in the US whereas 'White'
has so far NOT been an asked for colour in Europe, th4 my guess is that 'White' E34 M5 are quite common in the US. I might know someone
(another master of useless knowledge) who might have the answer to the question asked abt 'White' US M5s but perhaps -Jahangeer- has the answer in that book?? -

colour scheme for RHD-6-speeds less LE cars, i.e. about 90 (?) was it ? -
build sheets to go through and count but u wud have to have the build-sheets first :sad1: :blink: there is always a way, how important is that for you to know and again perhaps that -Jahangeer-book- has all the answers ??
let's wait and see ;) it wud certainly save some of us a -lot- of time which
we can use for :wroom: :wroom: :wroom: :byebye:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Hi J

Do you think we could have the details of this book so a few of us could go hunting for this book. I have several others at present but this sounds like a very comprehensive book.

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The first book is published in 2001 -called "Original BMW M-Series" by James Taylor, ISBN 0760308985.

This is an excellent book with lots of facts, and my favourite part on page 13 where he is talking abou the E34 M5 "Building on the strenghts of the earlier M5, these cars combined awesome performance with abundant luxury in a hugely practical four door saloon package. They were, and are, among the author's all-time favourite cars".

The second book was first published in 1992 "BMW M Series - The Complete Story" by Alan Henry - ISBN 1861261462, is a more entertaining read as it goes through the history of BMW motorsport and the people behind it. there is a great article on an M5 E34 write up, by Bob Murray from Autocar & Motor (Sept 1990).

ANYWAY here are the facts on colours but unfortunately it does not give a detailed breakdown produced in each particular year...the author states he had difficulty getting information out of BMW with regards to this, and quite clearly states them as being uncooperative.

Colour code Remarks

Alpine white ii 218 prob to mid 93 only
Alpine White iii 300 as above
Arctic silver metallic 309
Ascot Green Metallic 353 from 06/95
Avus Blue Metallic 276 fr mid 92; special M colour
Bright Red 314 probably 3,8l cars only
Brilliant red 308 probably 3,6l cars only
Callypso Red metallic 252 probably 3,8l cars only
Cosmos Black Metallic 303 3,8l cars only
Daytona Violet 283 from mid 92; special M Colour
Fjord Grey Metallic 310 probably 3,8l cars only
Jet Black 668 prob 3,6l cars only
Lagoon Green 266 from mid 92
Mauritiu Blue metallic 287 probably 3,8l cars only
Mugello Red 274 from mid 92 - special M colour
Oxford Green Metallic 324
Petrol Mica metallic 305 from 06/95
Sorrento Blue metallic 360 from 06/95
Sterling Silver 224 probably 3,6l cars only??? (I have seen 2)
Techno Violet metallic 299 from 06/95

Well I can spot a couple of question marks in the list, but it is stated as "probably" on alot of the colours.
But what about "Daytona Violet", "Granite Silver", "Sevring Grey" etc

I know we will never get a complete list - but maybe we can get a list of everybody's colour and production date. I know there is already a thread counting E34 M5's.

Both books are worth ordering in my opinion. Some great photos aswell in both.

regards

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Jahangeer said:
The first book is published in 2001 -called "Original BMW M-Series" by James Taylor, ISBN 0760308985.

This is an excellent book with lots of facts, and my favourite part on page 13 where he is talking abou the E34 M5 "Building on the strenghts of the earlier M5, these cars combined awesome performance with abundant luxury in a hugely practical four door saloon package. They were, and are, among the author's all-time favourite cars".

The second book was first published in 1992 "BMW M Series - The Complete Story" by Alan Henry - ISBN 1861261462, is a more entertaining read as it goes through the history of BMW motorsport and the people behind it. there is a great article on an M5 E34 write up, by Bob Murray from Autocar & Motor (Sept 1990).

ANYWAY here are the facts on colours but unfortunately it does not give a detailed breakdown produced in each particular year...the author states he had difficulty getting information out of BMW with regards to this, and quite clearly states them as being uncooperative.

Colour code Remarks

Alpine white ii 218 prob to mid 93 only
Alpine White iii 300 as above
Arctic silver metallic 309
Ascot Green Metallic 353 from 06/95
Avus Blue Metallic 276 fr mid 92; special M colour
Bright Red 314 probably 3,8l cars only
Brilliant red 308 probably 3,6l cars only
Callypso Red metallic 252 probably 3,8l cars only
Cosmos Black Metallic 303 3,8l cars only
Daytona Violet 283 from mid 92; special M Colour
Fjord Grey Metallic 310 probably 3,8l cars only
Jet Black 668 prob 3,6l cars only
Lagoon Green 266 from mid 92
Mauritiu Blue metallic 287 probably 3,8l cars only
Mugello Red 274 from mid 92 - special M colour
Oxford Green Metallic 324
Petrol Mica metallic 305 from 06/95
Sorrento Blue metallic 360 from 06/95
Sterling Silver 224 probably 3,6l cars only??? (I have seen 2)
Techno Violet metallic 299 from 06/95

Well I can spot a couple of question marks in the list, but it is stated as "probably" on alot of the colours.
But what about "Daytona Violet", "Granite Silver", "Sevring Grey" etc

I know we will never get a complete list - but maybe we can get a list of everybody's colour and production date. I know there is already a thread counting E34 M5's.

Both books are worth ordering in my opinion. Some great photos aswell in both.

regards
Doh ouich .....that will teach me for not looking in the books I have fully. I completly missed that section. I purchased the book a short while ago mainly because it had a few more pictures of M5 Touring. But it does not have the numbers per production colour!

Thanks for posting the info.

Simon

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hi Karl

"useless" was not in my post old bean :cheers:

Dont be so modest knowledge is very inportant on this board and sharing of this is greatly appreciated.

Long may you reign :wroom: :wroom:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Simonal said:
Hi J

Maybe it could be subject of another poll and all members could submit there car colours?

Simon
---------------

ok - I will start one...

·
2,503 Posts
JRCM5 said:
Ok,I would like to know how many white 91 e34 m5 wher sold in the US

Thanks

Jack

I cannot give you a concrete number, that sort of information is extremely difficult, if not impossible to obtain. BMW AG, M, and NA are not too interested in this. Many dealers have actually destroyed their information. Im not sure how long they are legally obliged to hold it. Cars have been totalled, parted, chopped, lost, etc. However, I have been working on this question for a while and I have projected breakdowns that I feel are somewhat reliable.

I am not at my home right now (4th of July celeb at a friends) but here are a few of the projected numbers:

Jet Black: I feel that this number ranges from 45-55%. The number of Jet Black M5s are huge in proportion to the other colors.

Alpine White: Maybe 20%...probably more like 15%.

Sebring Gray/ Sterling Silver: 10%

Brilliant/Mugello: 5%

Remember Im working off the top of my head, but Im bored here until they get more beer so once I get home this week, I will get the [more] solid numbers up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts