BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its with regards Feroddo Ds2500. So maybe only UK owners?

Ive ordered some DS2500 pads for the front and rear and been sent what i believe are the wrong ones. Now i know for a Fact that some owners have run them without issues and have been to the ring on them etc with good results, but, and here is the but... :rolleyes:

On calling the UK distributor this morning, they insist that Ferodo dont do a Pad to fit and want me to send back what they supplied as they wont fit.

They do fit, but are about 10mm shy of pad material and dont reach the center of the disk. Very odd, so my question is:

Does anyone know for a fact what ferrodo DS2500 pad part numbers they have used with sucess front and rear? :confused:

As a side note, does anyone else have any pads to recommend from experience with these cars? I chose DS2500 as ive used them with success on many powerfull cars aso they were my first choice for this one, but im willing to bow to other owners greater experience with the M5. :applause:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, ive Sent a PM.

EBC list Red and Yellow stuff pads for this model, but Ferrodo certainly dont list anything, which suggests we may need to just use one thats close, or switch brands.

Ive used EBC in the past and been unhappy, but i beleive they have made impressive improvements in the last couple of years and worthy of another trial. I Will decide later today i guess.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Does anyone know for a fact what ferrodo DS2500 pad part numbers they have used with sucess front and rear?
For the front, you want Ferodo p/n FCP856H and for the rear you want p/n FCP857H. Do these numbers match what you have?

As a side note, does anyone else have any pads to recommend from experience with these cars? I chose DS2500 as ive used them with success on many powerfull cars aso they were my first choice for this one, but im willing to bow to other owners greater experience with the M5. :applause:
What's your goal here? Are you looking for a "combination" pad that you can run on the street and also take to the occasional weekend track event? Or are you looking for an aggressive street-only pad? Or something else?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For the front, you want Ferodo p/n FCP856H and for the rear you want p/n FCP857H. Do these numbers match what you have?

What's your goal here? Are you looking for a "combination" pad that you can run on the street and also take to the occasional weekend track event? Or are you looking for an aggressive street-only pad? Or something else?
Outstanding information, thanks ever so much for sharing your valuable knowledge and time. :applause:

No, the number i was sent are FCP1073H. I will call now and see how we get on using your part numbers...

To answer your second question, the car is used as an everyday street car with maybe 4 track days a year.

She is coming to the Nurburgring with me in 4 weeks but interestingly, we tend not to class that as a track day as far as brakes are concerned as we have found with most chassis its not bad on the brakes once you know the track and arent trailing the brakes wondering what the tracks going to do. That said, ive never taken a car that weighs as much as an M5!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ferrodo UK refuse to believe the FCP856H will fit the front, but im going to put my trust in you and order them anyway. I will report back tomorrow all being well. :haha2:

Thank You again. :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Ferrodo UK refuse to believe the FCP856H will fit the front, but im going to put my trust in you and order them anyway. I will report back tomorrow all being well.
The 10mm of missing pad material is easy to explain. The Ferodo pads you had were the D394 shape. The right shape for a BMW E36 or E46 M3. But the wrong shape for a BMW E39 M5! Here's the pad diagram:

What you wanted was the D681 pad shape shown below:

Make sense now? :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Makes perfect sense, thats exactly the pad i was sent. :eek:

This now Proves beyond all reasonable doubt that you know more about M5 Ferrodo pads than Ferrodo's UK Importer. :7:

I feel assured now. Thanks very much indeed, i will of course still report back, and please let me know if i owe you anything for your time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting... i installed the fronts earlier today and whilst they are now all sorted, Job done... they did require me to modify them a little on the piston side pad as the backplate and a little friction material fouled the carrier bracket and thus stopped correct fitment. :confused:

I Will try to upload some pics later.

Regardless of that small mod though, the pads i wanted are now installed and i am well happy with them and my new rotors. I am going to fit the rears tonight. :1:

I wonder if UK and US brackets or pads are slightly different? :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here we go.

First the picture of the standard pads. Note the space all around and the only contact point is the metal runners as expected:

Now the FCP856H. Note the pad contacts the bracket and holds the whole pad away from the guides.

Another angle to show where i had to remove material.

Odd that the UK brackets must be different?
Outer pads and rears fitted great though, so all in all a very succesfull change and i have achieved what i wanted. Thank you. :D

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Definately Jim. I must admit though, i expected a tad more feedback than this. :confused:
Stu
I thought Dave Z's feedback was pretty complete. I suspect no one else has had the issue, hence not much to comment on.cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stu
I thought Dave Z's feedback was pretty complete. I suspect no one else has had the issue, hence not much to comment on.cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry
Yeah, i guess i expected there were more UK users than perhaps there are as this means that Ferrodo dont do a 2500 pad that fits properly in a UK M5 and yet ive read of many M5 owners running them... seems a little worrying as one set doesnt fit properly and would cause a poor pedal, and another set foul and would need to be forced to fit and then bind. :eek:

Also interesting that the US Version has a different bracket. I was hoping someone would know why...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
This now Proves beyond all reasonable doubt that you know more about M5 Ferrodo pads than Ferrodo's UK Importer. :7:
Yes, well, WE knew that before! :)

The picture of the pad that wouldn't fit is DIFFERENT than that drawing DaveZ posted- exactly the area you needed to trim... strange

A

1 - 17 of 17 Posts