BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dealing with terrible brake noise in my 2014 M5 since around the 4K mileage mark. With my 3rd service for the problem 4 months ago, the dealer replaced the front pads and rotors. That was good for about 500 miles, and now it's back to an incredibly irritating high-pitched squeal, especially when breaking at slow speeds. It's embarrassing to park in my garage at work, or to pull up at a valet stand. Service is now saying that the owner's manual mentions brake noise as normal behavior (don't recall seeing that, and the salesman certainly never mentioned it). He doesn't think there's any more he can do.

Do you guys have any ideas? I love everything else about the car, but this problem just ruins it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Had the same issue on my E60. Had the dealership, remove the pads and put anti squeal paste behind the pads. Pad oscillation in the caliper can often cause this noise. My car has been squeal free for the last 3 yrs since I had it done. :biggrin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same issue with my f10 m5, however I never had this issue with my E64 m6. My dealer serviced the brakes and they still were squealing. He then said there was a recall of the front pads (not sure if this is true) and is in the process of changing the pad. I'll let you know what happens once they change it. It'll be three weeks as the beast died last week due to HPFP failure.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had horrible brake squeal with my new F10 M5. Lived with it for months. Finally took in into the dealer and they fixed it. It completely went away and never came back. the did something to the shape of the rotors, I think by sanding it.

Any way, if your dealer doesn't fix it try a different one, because there's definitely a fix out the that works.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had horrible brake squeal with my new F10 M5. Lived with it for months. Finally took in into the dealer and they fixed it. It completely went away and never came back. the did something to the shape of the rotors, I think by sanding it.

Any way, if your dealer doesn't fix it try a different one, because there's definitely a fix out the that works.
Which dealer did you go to so I can go there ASAP?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Which dealer did you go to so I can go there ASAP?
I use New Century BMW in Alhambra. It's not terribly close to Claremont, but not out of the question. My service rep is Shawn Nguyen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same

I bought my car from New Century...have the noise brakes like most. However, No noise under hard braking Folks at Riverside BMW say it is "normal". Will have to give Shawn a call... Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use New Century BMW in Alhambra. It's not terribly close to Claremont, but not out of the question. My service rep is Shawn Nguyen.
Thanks so much. I will given them a ring and set up and appointment. I had this issue about 4 months ago and took it to BMW Ontario. They swapped out all the brake pads but the problem is back and annoying as ever.
Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It seems that the "best" solution is to get the carbon ceramic brakes. I know another 10k is a lot for an option, but if you don't have the noise and no brake dust... It seems like it is a good deal. I just paid $9250 for mine. Did anyone have any noise with the ccb?

·
Registered
49 Posts
1600 Miles on My MY14.. Just started with the brake squeal... OMG so annoying... What dealership do I prepare for a fight with ; Vista, Lauderdale Imports or South where I bought the car..

I though I could deal with the damn squeal but after today I have a darn headache after I get out of the car.. :sad1:

·
Registered
756 Posts
1600 Miles on My MY14.. Just started with the brake squeal... OMG so annoying... What dealership do I prepare for a fight with ; Vista, Lauderdale Imports or South where I bought the car..

I though I could deal with the damn squeal but after today I have a darn headache after I get out of the car.. :sad1:
I've taken my M5 in 3 times for this. The first time, they chamfered the discs--that worked for a bit but it came right back. Second time, they replaced the whole setup. Also worked for a bit... but came back. Clearly, this is inherent in the design. My SA suggested that maybe I brake too gently--we laughed for a bit and then got serious--as was suggested earlier, clean the discs by braking hard on say a weekly (my guesstimation, nothing more) basis but I mean *really* hard. Peel it down from 70mph in the dry somewhere safe as hard as you can--it's worked for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Late to the party on this one. Brake hard and the squeal will go away. It will come back and you will have to repeat the hard braking. Just yesterday a hockey buddy of mine said it happens on his Audi S5 too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Late to the party on this one. Brake hard and the squeal will go away. It will come back and you will have to repeat the hard braking. Just yesterday a hockey buddy of mine said it happens on his Audi S5 too.
I've had this problem on 3 F10 M5s. It irks me no end that this issue exists as a "design flaw" (that's an assertion on my part but three M5s seems statistically relevant enough to me) and that BMW have done nothing to fix it even on a 2015 model (built June 2014).

That said, hockey1's solution is precisely what I use to put the squeal to bed for a while--how long it lasts seems to vary but it most certainly works and typically does do for a couple of weeks or more.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sold my LCI M5 No Brake squeal, got the M6 GC CP, guess what NO Brake squeal!!:3:
Must be your poor roads or something.hmmm

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been dealing with terrible brake noise in my 2014 M5 since around the 4K mileage mark. With my 3rd service for the problem 4 months ago, the dealer replaced the front pads and rotors. That was good for about 500 miles, and now it's back to an incredibly irritating high-pitched squeal, especially when breaking at slow speeds. It's embarrassing to park in my garage at work, or to pull up at a valet stand. Service is now saying that the owner's manual mentions brake noise as normal behavior (don't recall seeing that, and the salesman certainly never mentioned it). He doesn't think there's any more he can do.

Do you guys have any ideas? I love everything else about the car, but this problem just ruins it.
Mine made noise after 40,000 Km, took it to BMW Toronto and they said there are upgraded break pads with small weights on them. They changed all breaks and roaters. It's been 20,000 km since than and no noise.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sold my LCI M5 No Brake squeal, got the M6 GC CP, guess what NO Brake squeal!!:3:
Must be your poor roads or something.hmmm
Ah, no--I see your confusion: patience, they'll accommodate :0)

My 3rd F10 M5 has coincidently been doing it all day as I manoeuvered slowly through our underground car park... but it's snowing so gaining speed & mashing the brakes isn't that advisable. That said, the squeal got the better of me so I gained speed and mashed the brakes while in the car park--worked like a charm --> squeal gone (for now at least).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts