BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 2000 M5 for ten years and have just passed 98,000 miles. I've had a few issues in the past (de-carbon the heads,etc) but have run into an issue with the brakes which my mechanic cannot seem to solve. I initially thought I needed new pads, as the pedal travel became excessive. Nope. Pads were fine. My mechanic replaced the master cylinder and bled the system several times. Pedal regained firmness...for three or four uses, then sagged again. Also, the traction control turns itself off after a mile or so of driving (not that I use it much!). The mechanic thinks it may have something to do with an ABS pump(?). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have been fighting this issue for over six months now, still not resolved.

This seems to be a common problem for quite a few people. I just got DIS v44 and v57 software that might help flush/purge the ABS/DSC unit, maybe... I can't work on my car right now as I have another car up on the lift. I may be a few more weeks.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check your brake lines. I had brake issues with a 330xi and replaced so many things, except the brake lines. Replace the brake lines, fixed. My main issue was vibration and rotor warping. Simple thing like replacing the brake lines took care if it. I know not pedal sagging issue but thought would be good to throw this suggesuout for consideration.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you aren't losing fluid you either have air in the system or a bad seal (like in the master). It can happen that master cylinder is replaced with a defective unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Maguiver
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing